Don't listen to Troy. He's been posting that exact same statement for a few years now.

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't make it less true. I can't tell you the number of apps that have moved to a minimum Kitkat API level.
    07-26-17 11:40 AM
    It should probably be mentioned that the Android Runtime is forever stuck at Android 4.3, and that, day by day, apps are being updated to require 4.4 (or 5.0) minimum, which means those apps stop working. If you are relying on Android apps, that is likely to become a problem sooner or later (and in most cases, sooner, if not already). Android versions of 4.3 and below have fallen under 10% of active Android devices (meaning over 90% of active devices are running 4.4 or later), so developers are increasingly targeting the later versions with improved security and additional features. Just 3 quarters ago, 4.3 and below as at 20%, so it's been falling quickly...
    Except you miss one important, most app developers always leave backwards compatibility. Usually two to three updates behind if not more. Know one wants to leave any customer behind.
    07-26-17 12:25 PM
    Except you miss one important, most app developers always leave backwards compatibility. Usually two to three updates behind if not more. Know one wants to leave any customer behind.
    Jellybean is 4 (soon to be 5) updates behind.
    07-26-17 12:44 PM
    Jellybean is 4 (soon to be 5) updates behind.
    No issues as most patch themselves with emulating built in. It an old Windows trick that came over to Android. Unless the new runtime is mission critical to the app it should be fine.
    07-26-17 12:50 PM
    No issues as most patch themselves with emulating built in. It an old Windows trick that came over to Android. Unless the new runtime is mission critical to the app it should be fine.
    It usually is mission critical - particularly with Kitkat. It was a huge API change over jellybean. So many apps now have that as a basic minimum, and only a small handful will work after patching for it.
    07-26-17 12:53 PM
    It usually is mission critical - particularly with Kitkat. It was a huge API change over jellybean. So many apps now have that as a basic minimum, and only a small handful will work after patching for it.
    I will have to disagree, I have over 40 apps that work fine. Yes some are a little slower opening but all work fine. Most just updated in the App Store.
    07-26-17 12:59 PM
    I will have to disagree, I have over 40 apps that work fine. Yes some are a little slower opening but all work fine. Most just updated in the App Store.
    So you have fully working version of the latest Instagram with all the new cool features.... sorry but that one app not having full functionality is probable enough of a reason for 99% of users to pass on anything running pre-Android 5.0. And why so many users in the last few months have left JellyBean behind.

Last year with 25% marketshare, it was a tough call to drop support... with only 10% left and falling pretty quickly, they won't be such a tough call. Not sure what you mean by patching themselves.... but I don't know of a way to patch apps that are purposely not designed to run on an older and less secure version. If there is, I'd pull my PlayBook out.
    07-26-17 02:15 PM
    So you have fully working version of the latest Instagram with all the new cool features.... sorry but that one app not having full functionality is probable enough of a reason for 99% of users to pass on anything running pre-Android 5.0. And why so many users in the last few months have left JellyBean behind.

Last year with 25% marketshare, it was a tough call to drop support... with only 10% left and falling pretty quickly, they won't be such a tough call. Not sure what you mean by patching themselves.... but I don't know of a way to patch apps that are purposely not designed to run on an older and less secure version. If there is, I'd pull my PlayBook out.
    You can patch to remove the min API check. But if the app actually REQUIRES a higher API level, it won't run anyway.

Later versions of Instagram will work with jellybean, just not BB10 jellybean.
    07-26-17 02:23 PM

I think you guys miss the point. First I never called out any specific app. There are many that don't work. But strange enough many times when the app stops. A update comes out and it starts working fine. A prime example is most news apps. Most stopped working but on the following updates it works fine.

A good example would be the I Phone 3. It was only last year that Apple closed out the phone from the App Store. It stopped getting OS updates many years ago. Most app writers never want to leave any money on the table no matter how small

As for the numbers of who is on what version. Those numbers are always way off. Most people never update their phones so there is no way to tell. Just ask Microsoft. The numbers told them the majority of users moved passed XP than poof.........it was not so.
    07-26-17 03:44 PM
    As for the numbers of who is on what version.
    It's estimated that there are 1.5 billion android devices in use right now. 9 or 10 % of that = 135 million android 4.3 or less are still used. Most of those 4.3's and less are in "developing" areas of the world. I would wager that some communication apps (in particular, WeChat and WhatsApp) will still work on those devices for another 2 years. Banking apps not so much! It will be a mixed bag IMHO.
    anon(9742832) likes this.
    07-26-17 04:21 PM
    It's estimated that there are 1.5 billion android devices in use right now. 9 or 10 % of that = 135 million android 4.3 or less are still used. Most of those 4.3's and less are in "developing" areas of the world. I would wager that some communication apps (in particular, WeChat and WhatsApp) will still work on those devices for another 2 years. Banking apps not so much! It will be a mixed bag IMHO.
    That gets a Woof!

One last thought, you will know when OS 10 and google are done, just like Apple. One day the google store will know longer connect, or they will make an announcement.

So the speculation about this and that is just that long on talk short on facts.
    Last edited by thatguyusa; 07-26-17 at 05:19 PM.
    07-26-17 04:33 PM
    If you love to use these apps, I would recommend that you stick with android or iOS devices. While there are workarounds for all of those apps on a BB10 device, your experience will not be optimal and it will steadily decline as time goes on. My 2 cents only!

Posted via CB10
    I like some of the blackberry clients better then the original like Blaq for twitter and Igrann Pro for instagram. Face10 is nice but prefer the FaceSlim. Apk best on my passport se...

I even found a YouTube app native to QNX I prefer called PowerTube PRO = Superb..

Random about an app: Anybody have the Google talk app Patched already for pp? Thanks... it's slow but works as Conite gave me it along time ago however I lost it since.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-17 05:14 PM
    I like some of the blackberry clients better then the original like Blaq for twitter and Igrann Pro for instagram. Face10 is nice but prefer the FaceSlim. Apk best on my passport se...

I even found a YouTube app native to QNX I prefer called PowerTube PRO = Superb..

Random about an app: Anybody have the Google talk app Patched already for pp? Thanks... it's slow but works as Conite gave me it along time ago however I lost it since.

Posted via CB10
    I PM'ed it to you.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    07-26-17 09:14 PM
    I PM'ed it to you.
    I use the Crackberry on Passport native to blackberry, should I be using th . Apk as I never seem to see the PM's on here but will check now. Thanks again Conite!!! #TheMan

-DPR

Posted via CB10
    07-26-17 10:02 PM
    I use the Crackberry on Passport native to blackberry, should I be using th . Apk as I never seem to see the PM's on here but will check now. Thanks again Conite!!! #TheMan

-DPR

Posted via CB10
    Use the Android "CB Forums" app.
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    07-26-17 10:03 PM
    Use the Android "CB Forums" app.
    Okie, installing now... superb.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-17 10:07 PM

-DPR

Posted via CB10
    I stick with CB10 but when I want to check PM's, quotes, likes etc, I just press open in browser (within the app) and if you're logged in, it's right there. I try to avoid as much android as possible on here. Although I can't live without the APKs for Relay (Reddit) and Clover (4chan). Both of those work pretty great on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-17 10:37 PM
    APKs for Relay (Reddit)
    Have you tried Reddit in Motion in BBW (had an update in June). I find it does everything that I need. YMMV.
    07-26-17 11:55 PM
    Have you tried Reddit in Motion in BBW (had an update in June). I find it does everything that I need. YMMV.
    I used Reddit In Motion extensively but I was getting annoyed with a lot of link errors so I moved to Relay. Thanks for the heads up that it's been updated. I'm going to download it right now and delete Relay for the time being. I'll always choose a native BB10 app if I can. Really glad to hear the dev is still putting work into it.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-17 12:00 AM
44 12