"The front camera is 3 MP and it works great for BBM video conferencing, if a bit oversaturated." - @HaloBandit

http://crackberry.com/exclusive-pre-...ort?nopaging=1

Posted via CB10
    Sweet! Most of the current android flagships only have the 2.1mpx. That includes LG G3, sony Z2, SGS5.
    Differentiate or Die
    DYLANHABKIRK likes this.
    07-07-14 04:30 PM
    As an owner of a Canon 7d, I find your comment hilarious. ;-)

I'd like to see the ability to play with depth of field and make some manual exposure settings. I'd like faster auto focus, as well. Better low light performance would be nice, too. But, the phone has a 1:1 screen ratio, so I don't think photography will be it's selling point.

And, I'm not being critical. I'll buy two Passports!

Posted via CB10
    Lol. I do realize this is a phone and msg device. Dof control on a biz device??? Why not just a constant f2 zoom to it... I do agree I would rather have fewer pixels, larger ones for better low light iq. I take a lot of pics of docs, marketing materials, trade show displays etc and family pics where I don't have my dedicated camera around... I'd would rather them market massive pixel wells ie 2x bigger light gathering pixel vs. Samsung and showing clean poor lighting iq side by side.
    07-21-14 02:08 PM
    3mpx? Thats alright if true. Any idea which sensor? I thought I read the font camera will be the standard issue 2.1mpx

Differentiate or Die
    BlackBerry had a 3 MP 1080p front facing camera on the Z10 prototypes. Not enough people had them to notice the downgrade that eventually took place on the retail versions.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-14 02:16 PM
    I don't care about the 13mp camera, I just wished it had a BIG sensor since that's what matter. Megapixels count is just to fool the consumer.

That's why the most expensive Nikon camera, the nikon D4, at over 6.000$, only has 16MP and take some of the best shots in the world.

High megapixel count destroys low light capabilities, that's why phones are rubish in low light. A sensor needs big pixels, because the smaller the worst, and more megapixels, means each pixel is smaller
    07-21-14 05:07 PM
    MP is not that important. It is sensor size. Everyone knows this. For example, a 12 MP full frame sensor camera will absolutely blow away a 24 MP point and shot camera. Not even close. So please don't follow the rest of the sheep.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 10:02 AM
    MP is not that important. It is sensor size. Everyone knows this. For example, a 12 MP full frame sensor camera will absolutely blow away a 24 MP point and shot camera. Not even close. So please don't follow the rest of the sheep.

Posted via CB10
    But they know where the good grass is :'(

Check Out TechCraze
    07-22-14 01:07 PM
    MP is not that important. It is sensor size. Everyone knows this Nobody knows this For example, a 12 MP full frame sensor camera will absolutely blow away a 24 MP point and shot camera. Not even close. So please don't follow the rest of the sheep.

Posted via CB10
    It's a shame because today's phone and consumer cameras could much better than what they are if they kept lower amount of mexapixels and focused in making bigger sensors. But what happens is that if you put 2 cameras that looks the same, one says 8mp, and the other says 18mp, everybody would jump in the 18mp one...

Sony is doing it right. Sony now has 2 A7 cameras, the A7R with 36mp, and the A7S with 12mp. The 12mp one is actualy more expensive, but the pictures are better in low light. 12mp is plenty if the sensor is good.
    07-22-14 04:58 PM
    Glad to know crackberrians are into camera tech.

Yes fewer pixels taken over a larger sensor is best for low light and low noise.

The passport will be getting the SONY imx135 which has been used across many android phones.

It is not a large sensor by any means even compared to other mobile offerings.

On DXO mark (which is one of the best imaging review sites) this sensor is used on the LG G2 which is at 8th place overall in the mobile ranking which isnt too bad to me.

But if it were up to me a large sensor 8mpx camera would have been prefeable.

Differentiate or Die
    07-22-14 05:43 PM
    You guys realize that square format is a more professional aspect ratio than the 3:2 that you find on DSLR cameras.

Square comes from 6x6 medium format cameras. 4x3 is even more professional. 3:2 is a consumer format.

So the keyboard phones actually have screens ideal for photography.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-14 09:29 PM
    Anyone know what module is used in the front camera? The one on the Z10 has a ridiculous amount of noise even for a front camera.
    07-23-14 06:05 AM
    Anyone know what module is used in the front camera? The one on the Z10 has a ridiculous amount of noise even for a front camera.
    I don't believe the 3MP rumours about the front camera. The files tell me it's going to be the same Aptina 2MP sensor as in the Z10/30
    07-23-14 06:18 AM
    The Playbook launched with 3 MP Front Camera, I don't get why they downgraded from that in following BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 08:55 AM
    Sounds like we are getting a mediocre camera on the passport.
    IMHO, that is unfortunate as it is a very important feature for me. A deal breaker.
    But, I'm sure the phone will excel in a lot of other areas

Posted via CB10
    austriker likes this.
    07-23-14 09:06 AM
    Glad to know crackberrians are into camera tech.

Yes fewer pixels taken over a larger sensor is best for low light and low noise.

The passport will be getting the SONY imx135 which has been used across many android phones.

It is not a large sensor by any means even compared to other mobile offerings.

On DXO mark (which is one of the best imaging review sites) this sensor is used on the LG G2 which is at 8th place overall in the mobile ranking which isnt too bad to me.

But if it were up to me a large sensor 8mpx camera would have been prefeable.

Differentiate or Die
    Bigger sensors aren't the issue to good image quality. Bigger all they mean is bigger lenses.. Image is a function of the quality of each pixel. The larger the pixel typically the better the pixel and less noise. That said, megapixels equals resolution so the more pixels the more detail. It's a trade off between the 2 and the quality of the lens ability to resolve them. For the tiny sensors in a smartphone.. 10mp are plenty. Wish they would focus on size of pixels now and cleanup the noise and high ISO and the ability to turn on and off sensor shift stabilization... Now that would be we some ... Big fat pixels with sensor shift 2 axis stabilization...
    07-23-14 09:13 AM
    The Playbook launched with 3 MP Front Camera, I don't get why they downgraded from that in following BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Even the early testing devices had 3 MP cameras.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 09:25 AM
    Have you guys read about the curved sensors that Sony will be putting into phones? Those will be the ideal, but it'll be another half a year before we see them, I'd bet.

And hey, I don't even use my front facing camera, so no issue for me.

I just wish the Passport implemented a nicer, larger 8mp sensor. Though, in this 4K era, 12mp is ideal.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-14 12:06 PM
    The camera is one of the biggest features for me too. I really hope they dont **** this one up.
    07-23-14 12:33 PM
    Bigger sensors aren't the issue to good image quality. Bigger all they mean is bigger lenses.. Image is a function of the quality of each pixel. The larger the pixel typically the better the pixel and less noise. That said, megapixels equals resolution so the more pixels the more detail. It's a trade off between the 2 and the quality of the lens ability to resolve them. For the tiny sensors in a smartphone.. 10mp are plenty. Wish they would focus on size of pixels now and cleanup the noise and high ISO and the ability to turn on and off sensor shift stabilization... Now that would be we some ... Big fat pixels with sensor shift 2 axis stabilization...
    You're basically reiterating what we have just discussed. Larger sensor means better image with less noise.

But yes it needs to be a combination of the 2 and 10mpx is more than enough for a mobile phone camera, the new sony A7R with its 12mpx full frame sensor is wonderful, has better noise control and low light capability than any camera in this market right now and has enough resolution for most applications.

Sensor tech is important as is its combination with the right lens.

Hopefully blackberry has put together a good package for us.

Differentiate or Die
    07-23-14 01:29 PM
    You're basically reiterating what we have just discussed. Larger sensor means better image with less noise.

But yes it needs to be a combination of the 2 and 10mpx is more than enough for a mobile phone camera, the new sony A7R with its 12mpx full frame sensor is wonderful, has better noise control and low light capability than any camera in this market right now and has enough resolution for most applications.

Differentiate or Die
    Since phones pack already a decent amount of MP, but have very small sensor, I think sensor size is the area where phone cameras have to evolve, not megapixels. Since 98% of the pictures taken by phones would be to upload for things like facebook, instagram or tweeter, a lower megapixel camera with the same sensor size would deliver SO MUCH better results, reducing the need to use the [absolute crap] flash that phones have.

And don't forget, images with lower noise, also have better definition. That's why in low light, a picture taken from a HTC One with 4MP can look sharper than a samsung galaxy S5 with 16 megapixels.... The heavy automatic noise reduction kills sharpness and detail.
    07-24-14 04:13 PM

Differentiate or Die
    Larger sensor is not better... Would result in bigger lenses.. Which would make the phone thicker. Plus, there is zero need for larger sensors.

What is needed is better lenses.. Slighter faster aperture to keep ISO down even 1 stop.

What is needed is to keep mp down so the pixel can be larger for more light gather and better noise free images.

What is needed is non digital image stabilization, sensor shift to keep shutter speed high to avoid blur and keep ISO down so noise isn't as much an issue. The ibis would need to off as default and turn on when needed by user every time photo app is launched.
    07-24-14 05:55 PM
    Larger sensor is not better... Would result in bigger lenses.. Which would make the phone thicker. Plus, there is zero need for larger sensors.

What is needed is better lenses.. Slighter faster aperture to keep ISO down even 1 stop.

What is needed is to keep mp down so the pixel can be larger for more light gather and better noise free images.

What is needed is non digital image stabilization, sensor shift to keep shutter speed high to avoid blur and keep ISO down so noise isn't as much an issue. The ibis would need to off as default and turn on when needed by user every time photo app is launched.
    Today's phone lenses already are aperture of F/2, so don't expect it to go much wider than that. from Iphone 5 to Iphone 5s they increased the sensor size, yet the camera is the same size. Maybe they can arrange a lens that's wider but not thicker for a larger sensor. Bigger sensors normaly requiere larger diameter lens, not length, and phones can take plenty of diameter.

The nokia 1020 sensor is the proof. MUCH bigger sensor than other smartphone cameras, and they pack it well
    Passports 13MPX camera-nokia-lumia-1020.jpg
    07-24-14 06:13 PM
    Today's phone lenses already are aperture of F/2, so don't expect it to go much wider than that. from Iphone 5 to Iphone 5s they increased the sensor size, yet the camera is the same size. Maybe they can arrange a lens that's wider but not thicker for a larger sensor. Bigger sensors normaly requiere larger diameter lens, not length, and phones can take plenty of diameter.

The nokia 1020 sensor is the proof. MUCH bigger sensor than other smartphone cameras, and they pack it well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nokia-Lumia-1020.jpg 
Views:	4223 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	286791
    This

Differentiate or Die
    07-24-14 07:03 PM
    I got a Lumia 1020 a few months back and I switch between it and my trusty Q10. The camera of the Nokia is really a nice thing to have. Yes, it isn't the fastest with a shot-to-shot time of about four seconds. However the quality is quite impressive. I also was one of the people who said MP don't matter anything, but what Nokia created with their PureView oversampling is really really nice. IMO it doesn't work as good in real life as it does in the promo events, but still really well.

Besides the hardware we have the software. The Nokia Camera app gives users full manual control, ranging from focus, ISO, exposure times over to more common stuff like white balance. Every time I pick up my Q10 I like the hardware keyboard, I like the sheer efficiency of BB10 and I like the rather compact size. Yet I always, always miss that damn camera. The only benefit the BB camera has over the Nokia one would be sheer performance and a built-in HDR mode which is decent enough. But everything beside it is simply inferior.

So yes, a better camera in every way would be *highly* appreciated with that Passport!

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    07-29-14 01:22 AM
    According to the video by carphone warehouse, the passport's camera is now 10mpx instead of the rumored 13.

As long as this camera has a larger sensor I dont mind at all that it has less pixels.

Infact if this is true it would be a new generation sensor too.

Ive read in an article recently that the passports autofocus is very fast even in low light. Thats what im hoping to hear.

Differentiate or Die
    08-14-14 02:03 PM
    Will be interesting to see if CPW has goofed or if BlackBerry has been clever and used a 13MP sensor + some wizardry to get the best 10MP picture the world has ever seen.
    smart548 likes this.
    08-18-14 11:02 AM
62 123