Im feeling the anticipation for the passport as im sure lots of others are. One of the nice upgrades we're getting is a 13mpx back facing camera with OIS (optical image stabilisation).

Id like to figure out the size and type of sensor its using. Comparatively, the amazon fire phone, samsung galaxy S4, LG G2/3, Sony xperia Z all have a 13mpx camera and I read that the sensor we're getting is an old sony one probably the same one used in the xperia z.

If we're getting the xperia z sensor that would actually be worse than our 8mp we already have:

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Sony-...artphone-arena

The better 13mp sensors would be the one from the S4 or the LG G2/G3

Can someone confirm this by any chance?

Also any details of the lens + OIS like aperture and etc?

Differentiate or Die
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 06-27-14 at 04:22 AM.
    austriker likes this.
    06-27-14 03:54 AM
    Xperia Z, LG G2 and GS4 use the same sensor: IMX135

Specs are here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...l#post10514778

As for the camera actuator, it's either from Semco or Innotek or a combination of both. No idea what the focal length is.
    06-27-14 05:11 AM
    some sensor that nokia use would be awesome, with carl zeiss lenses :P
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    06-27-14 05:14 AM
    Xperia Z, LG G2 and GS4 use the same sensor: IMX135

Specs are here
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...l#post10514778

As for the camera actuator, it's either from Semco or Innotek or a combination of both. No idea what the focal length is.
    Thanks ofutur,so I assume the passport will be using this same sensor?

Differentiate or Die
    06-27-14 05:29 AM
    Yes, but it might have the LG G2 optics

Posted via CB10
    06-27-14 05:51 PM
    No front AND rear facing camera?
    06-30-14 08:04 AM
    Ive been playing with my friends nexus 5 which I think has the same sony 13mpx sensor as the passport and a bunch of other phones.

Its really not impressive. I guess its all todo with software.

Differentiate or Die
    07-04-14 07:16 PM
    Oi.... Old camera tech again... I use it a lot nd hate the quality of the q10....this better not become a trash bag of old parts. A killer cam would help bb a lot.. Even for business enterprise users.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    07-04-14 08:29 PM
    What happened to the days that a phone was just a phone? I never thought about my phone having a kickbutt camera but I guess times are changing. I just have a separate camera for work but hopefully BlackBerry can change that one day in the future. Maybe they should hook up with fuji, pentax, nikon and get in the know and be one step above all the other phones. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack, wasn't my intention.

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-04-14 08:36 PM
    BlackBerry have always been weak with their cameras. (Bold 9900 anyone?)
    Thank god for instagram filters haha.
    I'd love to see them do something amazing like Nokia did with the PureView or Oppo and the N1.
    07-05-14 04:41 AM
    I'd like to see a camera-less version of the Passport, personally.

Posted via CB10
    nick13b and mkelley65 like this.
    07-05-14 05:59 AM
    I think their views has always been to provide something good enough. The exception being the timeshift tech that they bought, because they were targeting consumers.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 06:51 AM
    I think their views has always been to provide something good enough. The exception being the timeshift tech that they bought, because they were targeting consumers.

Posted via CB10
    I think the passport is better than good enough.

Even some of the latest androids are still using this IMX135 sony sensor. Case in point the LG G3, HTC ONE M8 mini and the chinese branded ones.

Take sony and samsung out of the equation because they actually manufacturer their own camera sensors.

Differentiate or Die
    07-05-14 08:25 AM
    That was 6 months before the release of the Passport.
    In October, we'll have the new Samsung 16MP, a new iPhone camera, probably a new LG Pro, etc.

I think it will still be suitable for most of people's needs though as it will provide all the standard features + timeshift as a differentiator. Some people will probably prefer a better low light mode or to be able to change the depth of field in all their pictures, etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 08:47 AM
    That was 6 months before the release of the Passport.
    In October, we'll have the new Samsung 16MP, a new iPhone camera, probably a new LG Pro, etc.

I think it will still be suitable for most of people's needs though as it will provide all the standard features + timeshift as a differentiator. Some people will probably prefer a better low light mode or to be able to change the depth of field in all their pictures, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Id rather have lower MP and better low light capability with a larger sensor.

I agree with you that it will be enough for most people, as long as the software driven features are up to scratch, otherwise im sure there will be android apps we could use to change depth of field and etc.

From my quick research I think the samsung galaxy s4 with this sensor and their own combination of lens and software has resulted in a good package.

For some reason the original sony xperia Z didnt do as well.

Differentiate or Die
    spike12 likes this.
    07-05-14 08:54 AM
    As an owner of the Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520....i find this thread hilarious

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    As an owner of a Canon 7d, I find your comment hilarious. ;-)

I'd like to see the ability to play with depth of field and make some manual exposure settings. I'd like faster auto focus, as well. Better low light performance would be nice, too. But, the phone has a 1:1 screen ratio, so I don't think photography will be it's selling point.

And, I'm not being critical. I'll buy two Passports!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 10:11 PM
    Most photographers will tell you that anything over 8 Mpx is useless for pictures unless your intent is to blow them up. Especially for cell phones. Low-light performance, auto-focus quality as well as auto-correcting over/under exposures are far more important than sensor size. A 20 Mb sensor with low quality glass and software will not create decent pictures at all. You can create the perfect mobile camera with 10Mpx.
    austriker and spike12 like this.
    07-06-14 10:16 PM
    I recently completed a survey from BlackBerry. I say I use my BlackBerry mostly for business, then social and hobbies. A really good camera is a must. I have a couple of digital SLRs and some other cameras. I would love to replace those cameras 95% of the time, instead of 80% of the time, with my Passport.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 10:28 PM
    Agree.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 10:30 PM
    Most photographers will tell you that anything over 8 Mpx is useless for pictures unless your intent is to blow them up. Especially for cell phones. Low-light performance, auto-focus quality as well as auto-correcting over/under exposures are far more important than sensor size. A 20 Mb sensor with low quality glass and software will not create decent pictures at all. You can create the perfect mobile camera with 10Mpx.
    Higher MP allows for a finer reduction. In the case of the recent A7R and A7S from Sony (36mp vs 12), you'd expect the 12mp to perform better in most situations, but the 36mp camera actually has better dynamic range and color depth. Though it concedes when it comes to lowlight (but only by about a stop, maybe less). high MP allows for better microcontrast and general richness. even if you're not using all that detail, it makes a difference in overall look.

A high mp sensor is nice for isolating and cropping in post. I don't personally tend to crop my photos, but the option is there for more commercial applications and it can be a lifesaver. In a cell phone, it allows for a nicer digital zoom output (like the nokia 1020).

You're right, for most people, 8mp would usually be considered enough. Pros couldn't shoot 8mp in this day at all. And consumers, well...now that we have 4K monitors, 12mp is the minimum to fill that screen. But you're on the money about printing--you need all those pixels. I'd say 12mp is the minimum nowadays (at least for a main camera used for capturing memories you want to keep--I'll tell you, I'm so glad I have childhood photos in 135 instead of cell phone digital).

Basically, it's nice to have large files if it doesn't slow down the process. Storage isn't much of an issue these days, and I should hope any modern computing device could handle a number of 13mp jpegs with ease. We have the tech, and it's easy, so I say: why not?

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 11:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    And I own a Nikon D610, D7000 and a Sony NEX 6. Whats your point?

Differentiate or Die
    07-07-14 05:03 AM
    No front AND rear facing camera?
    I read the front facing is getting a bump to 3MP. Rear to 13MP. Will try to find source.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DYLANHABKIRK; 07-07-14 at 03:51 PM.
    07-07-14 07:21 AM
    Front Facing is getting a bump to 3MP. Rear to 13MP.

Posted via CB10
    3mpx? Thats alright if true. Any idea which sensor? I thought I read the font camera will be the standard issue 2.1mpx

Differentiate or Die
    07-07-14 03:07 PM
    3mpx? Thats alright if true. Any idea which sensor? I thought I read the font camera will be the standard issue 2.1mpx

Differentiate or Die
    "The front camera is 3 MP and it works great for BBM video conferencing, if a bit oversaturated." - @HaloBandit

http://crackberry.com/exclusive-pre-...ort?nopaging=1

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 03:59 PM
62 123