06-23-14 12:14 PM
137 ... 23456
tools
    Picture of Chen with Blackberry Passport

http://cdn1.blackberryempire.com/wp-...n-Passport.png
    To me it's just looks absolutely stupid the classic is the perfect blackberry the TRUE blackberry but that's just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 04:56 PM
    Quality control issues have always plagued BlackBerry phones, and I replaced my Q10 3 times directly from BlackBerry and got a roulette of defects even though they told they thoroughly checked the phone.

Phone sales and market share keeps shrinking. I don't consider success. Anyone can sell assets and fire people to balance the books, but bringing back growth to a sinking ship requires a genius.

Posted via CB10
    First thing you have to do before righting a sinking ship is plug the leaks. That means trimming the fat. With a company as large and as successful as BBRY once was, there's a lot of fat to trim. You also have to remember that they are focusing more on services and the enterprise than consumer handset sales. Which means market share numbers right now don't mean squat. It's all about selling enough to make money and returning to profitability, and then moving forward from there.

Is today's news something to start throwing a party over? Not quite. But Chen set reasonable expectations by targeting the end of FY2015 to be cash-flow positive, and he's well on his way to achieving that. It's the best news we've gotten out of this company in a long time.
    DJM626 likes this.
    06-19-14 05:02 PM
    The profit for the quarter doesn't include real estate sales, and the decline in sales is slowing. You're talking out of your ***
    They just announced .11 EPS loss at a NON-GAAP basis and they did tons of WRITEDOWNS on previous quarter. Your fantasy profits don't exist. Last quarter they sold like 3.4m phones, this quarter they sold 2.6m. THE SHIP IS STILL SINKING.
    06-19-14 05:02 PM
    First thing you have to do before righting a sinking ship is plug the leaks. That means trimming the fat. With a company as large and as successful as BBRY once was, there's a lot of fat to trim. You also have to remember that they are focusing more on services and the enterprise than consumer handset sales. Which means market share numbers right now don't mean squat. It's all about selling enough to make money and returning to profitability, and then moving forward from there.

Is today's news something to start throwing a party over? Not quite. But Chen set reasonable expectations by targeting the end of FY2015 to be cash-flow positive, and he's well on his way to achieving that. It's the best news we've gotten out of this company in a long time.
    For a person boasting his greatness by cost cutting, he is creating over-expectations that might under deliver. I am not saying Blackberry going to get wiped out but I am saying so far Chen still has much to prove coming quarters. We need to start seeing growth.

Just remember when Thor was CEO. He did same thing, he trimmed the fat even surprised the street with positive EPS at one quarter but the end his double down on consumer burnt to the ground so he opted to sell the company which also failed thanks to Canadian government.

Chen doing the same 2 step, cutting costs and instead of betting on consumer, he wants to bring back the lifeblood of Blackberry which was always enterprise. BES12 should have been BES10, once again BB is late in the market and with saturation of the phone market and larger fish at play like Microsoft who also wants piece of enterprise, Blackberry has lots of work caught up for itself.
    06-19-14 05:08 PM
    The Classic looks much nicer than the Passport. Those square edges on the passport and Z3 are awful.

I think the Classic looks alright, but has a stupid name. I'm also hoping we see a Z10 replacement come along before too long, and not some Foxxconn ugly rectangle.

Posted via CB10
    well , can't imagine why they wouldn't take your thoughtful ,

summary , new phones , OK, sucks, also sucks

The OK phones name sucks, replace the phone that sucked from day one but not with one like that sucky phone from the suck phone maker

head office is already in action
    rjshahan likes this.
    06-19-14 05:09 PM
    They just announced .11 EPS loss at a NON-GAAP basis and they did tons of WRITEDOWNS on previous quarter. Your fantasy profits don't exist. Last quarter they sold like 3.4m phones, this quarter they sold 2.6m. THE SHIP IS STILL SINKING.
    Yup. I think you better sell all your BlackBerry's in possession and stop coming here anymore. Before they turn off your phone after they've sunk.

Hello, I'm me
    06-19-14 05:11 PM
    For a person boasting his greatness by cost cutting, he is creating over-expectations that might under deliver. I am not saying Blackberry going to get wiped out but I am saying so far Chen still has much to prove coming quarters. We need to start seeing growth.

Just remember when Thor was CEO. He did same thing, he trimmed the fat even surprised the street with positive EPS at one quarter but the end his double down on consumer burnt to the ground so he opted to sell the company which also failed thanks to Canadian government.

Chen doing the same 2 step, cutting costs and instead of betting on consumer, he wants to bring back the lifeblood of Blackberry which was always enterprise. BES12 should have been BES10, once again BB is late in the market and with saturation of the phone market and larger fish at play like Microsoft who also wants piece of enterprise, Blackberry has lots of work caught up for itself.
    Look mate, I respect the opinion of every living soul. This is my response:
    Attached Thumbnails Passport will be made by Blackberry assembly team instead of Foxconn?-12539.jpg  
    06-19-14 05:22 PM
    At first i thought it was ugly.. but the more i look at it the more i like it. Would be nice to have something different from everything else out there.
    06-19-14 05:27 PM
    Only thing I don't get is, where are the alt/shift and number keys?
    06-19-14 05:31 PM
    I agree. Love the form!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 05:36 PM
    I personally thing the Passport looks amazing and will be getting one. I'm not sure what everyone is looking forward too but until you hold the phone in your hand and can feel and touch it, you should have an open minded. I'm looking forward to the keyboard and the features it brings, which is the best of both worlds. I know it's big but I don't think is overly big.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 05:43 PM
    ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    06-19-14 05:43 PM
    I wonder at what event BlackBerry will demo or showcase the phones properly. September is in a few months and usually showcase events happens a month earlier.

Anyone have ideas?

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 05:50 PM
    Stop the arguing and attacks. It was a good day for BB and you still fight over nothing. smh
    06-19-14 05:50 PM
    It's not the only BlackBerry with problems, it spans from Curve to Bold to frankenstein Storm and flimsy Torch.

Posted via CB10
    I liked my torch, that thing got throw all over the place.

The storm on the other hand was a POS

Posted via CB10
    06-19-14 06:14 PM
    Only thing I don't get is, where are the alt/shift and number keys?
    Numbers and symbols are above the keyboard ... do the math yourself :-)
    06-19-14 06:15 PM
    I liked my torch, that thing got throw all over the place.

The storm on the other hand was a POS

Posted via CB10
    Only one I had a gripe about was the Tour, my others functioned very well and took quite a pounding.
    06-19-14 06:34 PM
    I think this device is fugly ... Weird looking too ... They should have given the Z10 or Z30 those specs ... The BB classic looks appropriate for qwerty users ...
    06-19-14 06:49 PM
    Yeah, if anything I want BlackBerry to keep not using Foxconn. These devices seem of excellent build quality. Only reason I'd want them to use Foxconn is to help their bottom which could help them continue doing great things.
    06-19-14 07:05 PM
    I love Passport form factor, it will be a great attraction device where people will say "Oh wow what's that?". Being wide also makes it easier to type with two hands, read documents more comfortably and highest DPI and its the biggest screen with a keyboard.

Downside: Quality control, one hand typing will be difficult, and size might be a problem for some, losing space in video playback because of 1:1 ratio.
    The shape is what concerns me. Those sharp corners won't feel comfortable in pants' pockets.
    06-19-14 07:51 PM
    Who Chen or the phone? Haha just kidding, I really think it's the most ugly phone I've ever seen, but that's my opinion obviously.

Posted via CB10
    Hey, that guy on the left isn't an ugly phone. He's a real person with feelings.
    06-19-14 08:12 PM
    I thing it's a unique looking device, can't wait to hold one to get a feel for the form factor.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10 or Q10!
    Yeah it is... I think the 1 thing I might have a slight problem is the location of keyboard. but. Once I play with it *snicker lol*I'll know how to handle it lol

Fat Mexican with a Z10 in CB10
    06-19-14 08:13 PM
    People can get all worked up about what BB should have done... Chen is clearly doing. Will it be enough, only time will tell. So far, he seems to be handling the cards he inherited pretty well. He still clearly has lots to accomplish though. Go Chen Go I say...

On the Passport, admittedly I am iffy on the form factor from what I've seen so far. But aside from those who may have already had access, I - like the rest of you who haven't tried one yet - will just have to wait and see. Yes, I really like my z10 and the screen real-estate, and the one-handed operations. But... BUT... I miss my keyboard more than anything. At this point, I'm willing to give Chen and co. the benefit of the doubt to deliver on a solid workhorse of a machine that will bring me back QWERTY-side. More than that, I can't say... I just don't know how I'm going to wait until September (October?) to give this thing a try...
    06-19-14 08:41 PM
    Beautiful

Posted Via my Q10
    Yeah Chen looks good in that shot.
    06-19-14 08:54 PM
    The thread title is the worst phrased question I've ever seen. Sorry.

I'm sure the Passport is not going to be made by Foxconn. BlackBerry said the high-end phones are going to be made by them.

Also, maybe John Chen isn't a big guy. That might explain why the Passport is just enough for his palm. Its probable target consumers are the big screen users.

Sent from my BlackBerry smartphone.
    06-19-14 09:03 PM
137 ... 23456