From the article : "Based on academic typology, the optimal number of characters on a line in a book is 66 characters (current rectangular smartphones show approx. 40 characters and BlackBerry will show 60 characters"
    Basically a 10% wider screen (not device) could have done these 66 chars. It means 3.5" side length against 3.2" and 5" display against 4.5".
    It would be closer to trifold wallet size than a passport, but this could also allow adding some function keys such as shift and alt or return or wider space bar.
    Still dreaming of folding display btw...

--
    I don't mind square, I play chess, go...
    Http://Spoludo.com
    07-08-14 03:12 AM
    You have a good point! While I am thinking the Passport is ugly, too large, etc...if you look at t from this angle, you are absolutely right! You know what? I think it is going to be probably wide enough to be that much different from a smartphone that it is going to find a niche group to buy it!
    07-08-14 08:03 AM
    They also needed to make sure it wasn't too big so it could still fit in your pockets, and from what I've heard, it even fits into shirt pockets.

So there seems to have been a careful optimization of its dimensions.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 08:08 AM
    Screens as we know them are coming to the end. There is new technology being developed that will make us rethink "smart phones".
    So don't sweat the last six characters.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 11:29 AM
    I'm not sweating them. But the way it is presented is hard to be considered as a full positive because it just shows that the limit is approached, not reached. Frustrating thus. And the others can rotate to landscape to get full width, btw.

Tell me more about the screen advances unless your thinking of things like google glasses (not exciting me) or some projection technologies like microsoft have demonstrated. I haven't looked at stretchable displays though. But for typing, drawing you need some rigidity still.
    07-08-14 03:15 PM
    The Z10 is wider in landscape than the Passport, and it is not enough for viewing some websites comfortably, so no the Passport is not wide enough. This is why a non-square shape wins.

It is not tall enough either, as shown by how painful it is to scroll to the bottom of the news comment pages on this site with the Z10.

However, in landscape a rectangular phone is not tall enough, so when the Passport is wide enough, it wins.

The conclusion is that a full-touchscreen rectangular phone with the same size as the Passport would be better (assuming it fits in a shirt pocket in the first place).

And such a phone with a slider keyboard would be even better. But some people prefer portrait and others landscape, so there should be 2 such models.
    07-08-14 03:29 PM
    I would really like to try the fantasy of a backside dvorak keyboard on a 4/3 device. Shouldn't be worse learning than a gamepad or an accordion. then we could have fullscreen to pinch, rotate and tap with the thumbs while tinkling away on the back. then no need to print the letters on the keyboard. one could also as a learning stage print a semi transparent layer figuring a localized keyboard.
    07-08-14 04:21 PM