I am looking at getting a Passport next week on my trip back to Canada.

Wondering if the new Garmin Vivosmart would work with the Passport. Their site says that the smart activity tracker will work with any Bluetooth 4.0 smart device on Android and/or iOS. I sent an inquisitive email to the people at Garmin and they replied with a whole bunch of nothing - no answer at all really - just regurgitated the text on the Garmin website.

I was thinking that a connected wearable would be a perfect pairing with the Passport because of its size. I live in S�o Paulo, and because of the crime here I generally don't like to walk on the street with my iPhone exposed... keeping it in my bag or pants pocket. Taking it out only when absolutely necessary has become habit and with a smartband like the vivosmart I would be able to accomplish this perfectly.

So, do you guys think the Garmin Vivosmart will connect? Are their other wearables (smartwatches) that do work with BB10?

Thanks in advance for your input!

All the best.
    DocDRM and geekaren like this.
    10-23-14 05:29 AM
    Quite sure the Pebble would work and it DOES have good fitness apps and stuff, BUT for the Garmin I just don't know. HOWEVER I have reached out to others who might be able to help.

PS You can rule out the Martian Notifier it does not work, nor does it have any fitness apps or abilities. Cool smart watch, but not for you, not if you want a Passport and fitness tracking!

Here is a link to the Smart Watch buyers guide with some tips and info.....

http://www.connectedly.com/smartwatch-buyers-guide
    10-23-14 08:37 AM
    Pebble Watch.

Posted via CB10
    pkcable and Jason Coombs like this.
    10-23-14 08:38 AM
    As I'm here in the US I will call the customer support line a little later today and see if I can get a better answer talking to a live person. I'm not sure this will be any better then the scripted replay you got from the email, but it's another avenue to try.
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    10-23-14 09:15 AM
    I gave them a call and they said no, the Garmin Vivosmart is not compatible with any BlackBerry phone. The guy I talked to also said as long as the market share is low for BlackBerry they won't be adding BB's as compatible devices.
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    10-23-14 11:14 AM
    Hi, my Vivofit is working fine through the Android Connect app. SO I don't see any reason for Vivosmart not to work.
    10-23-14 11:20 AM
    I know for a fact the Pebble works, I have it myself and use it regularly.
    You can use the Android Pebble app to add apps to it and watchfaces, but if you want to get notifications, you have to close the Pebble app and use a native BlackBerry app such as Talk2Watch Pro (which I highly recommend, it's a great app!)

Praise be unto our Lord Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    10-23-14 11:45 AM
    Hi, my Vivofit is working fine through the Android Connect app. SO I don't see any reason for Vivosmart not to work.
    I just looked on the Garmin website and the Vivosmart is not listed as a compatible Connect device. The only devices listed are the Edge 1000, Edge 510, Edge 810, Forerunner 220, Forerunner 620, and the Vivofit. so I would say it wouldn't work with the Vivosmart.
    Jason Coombs likes this.
    10-23-14 12:03 PM
    Did you patch the Garmin connect app to get it to work properly? I keep getting the 'need Google services' msg when I click on an activity.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-14 12:30 PM
    I just got a vivosmart. It does sync with my z10 (10.3.1.800). However the notifications and music player controls do not work. The remaining functions the garmin connect app do work well.
    10-29-14 06:40 AM
    I just got a vivosmart. It does sync with my z10 (10.3.1.800). However the notifications and music player controls do not work. The remaining functions the garmin connect app do work well.
    I just got my Vivosmart today. I'm on 10.3.1.1016 and I get phone call notifications and the fitness stuff syncs. No BBM (not too surprised), no text message, and no email notifications.
    10-31-14 06:32 PM
    The Pandora can be controlled with the Vivosmart as it seems to be the only option to select.
    10-31-14 06:36 PM
    I just got my Vivosmart today. I'm on 10.3.1.1016 and I get phone call notifications and the fitness stuff syncs. No BBM (not too surprised), no text message, and no email notifications.
    How did you get calls to sync?
    Mainly got it for the fitness and know the fitness stuff sync.
    10-31-14 06:39 PM
    The Pandora can be controlled with the Vivosmart.
    Android or native?
    10-31-14 06:41 PM
    How did you get calls to sync?
    Mainly got it for the fitness and know the fitness stuff sync.
    I just set it up and it worked. My wife's had to set the permission to allow it, then reboot and it worked.
    10-31-14 06:52 PM
    Android or native?
    Android, I don't think there's a native Pandora app. At least I couldn't find it for my Z30.
    10-31-14 06:53 PM
    Android, I don't think there's a native Pandora app. At least I couldn't find it for my Z30.
    Oh ok. So I guess the music control will work with with any android app. Maybe the message notifications could work with an Android apps as well

Posted via Cb10
    10-31-14 07:42 PM
    Oh ok. So I guess the music control will work with with any android app. Maybe the message notifications could work with an Android apps as well

Posted via Cb10
    It might. That would be cool of it does.
    10-31-14 07:46 PM
    I gave them a call and they said no, the Garmin Vivosmart is not compatible with any BlackBerry phone. The guy I talked to also said as long as the market share is low for BlackBerry they won't be adding BB's as compatible devices.
    But, would it work through android on bb10... that is the real question that we need to ask

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 07:51 PM
    But, would it work through android on bb10... that is the real question that we need to ask

Posted via CB10
    That's the discussion we have been engaging in. It appears some things work and some doesn't regardless the Droid apps you are using. Obviously you need to use the Android app Garmin Connect.
    geekaren likes this.
    10-31-14 07:58 PM
    Ok, I had some issues with the 10.3.1.1016, so I reloaded the OS and now I don't get phone call notifications.
    10-31-14 09:26 PM

Posted via Cb10
    I installed the Android Yahoo Mail app. It sends the notifications to the vivosmart and they show up on it, but it doesn't vibrate when they come in.
    1oo1 likes this.
    11-01-14 03:17 PM
    Anyone know if the Fitbit flex works with the Passport?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport 10.3
    geekaren likes this.
    11-01-14 05:30 PM
    Hello. Got one as well and works perfectly with the Android Fitbit app in Bluetooth. Sync is fine. I am running 10.3.1.1xxx Os on the Passport.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 05:57 PM
    Thanks

Posted via BlackBerry Passport 10.3
    11-01-14 08:05 PM
31 12