Nasty episode > my passport was submerged for 10 seconds. I left it off, but only for 12 hours. It would not start. I charged it but the red light signal did not go away. I left it for another day, same result...the phone is dead.

I realize I made some mistakes handling the situation.
    I need to decide whether it's worth investing repair costs in this phone? Otherwise I'll buy another passport or a Leap.

Would appreciate advice.
    Thanks
    Mr A
    04-11-16 08:15 AM
    Did you make any attempts to draw the moisture out with uncooked rice or silica gel packs (used in pharmacy and shipping)? Before you give up TURN OFF the phone, put it in a bag of uncooked plain rice or silica gel packs if you can find them, and wait 24 to 72 hours. THEN try the phone.
    04-11-16 09:16 AM
    Nasty episode > my passport was submerged for 10 seconds. I left it off, but only for 12 hours. It would not start. I charged it but the red light signal did not go away. I left it for another day, same result...the phone is dead.

I realize I made some mistakes handling the situation.
    I need to decide whether it's worth investing repair costs in this phone? Otherwise I'll buy another passport or a Leap.

Would appreciate advice.
    Thanks
    Mr A
    I know that you now realize you made a mistake by turning the device on after only 12 hours. Human nature and that curiosity cat got the better of you. I am afraid you need a new phone.
    04-11-16 09:20 AM
    Applying power whilst the phone still had moisture inside could have caused more damage. Honestly, I would dismantle, clean with IPA and dry then get a multimeter and start fault tracking to find out what survived. But that's just me. You probably need a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-16 09:33 AM
    Applying power whilst the phone still had moisture inside could have caused more damage. Honestly, I would dismantle, clean with IPA and dry then get a multimeter and start fault tracking to find out what survived. But that's just me. You probably need a new phone.

Posted via CB10
    I agree--especially with your first sentence.
    04-11-16 02:33 PM
    I'd put it in rice or whatever suggested and let it sit for a few days to see if anything happens.

I bought a water damaged Passport to use for parts that had failed tests in BBVE but all came back to life. Never know what water will do immediately or over time but I still use that Passport as a whole now.

Best of luck.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-16 10:09 AM
    For others viewing this thread, turning the phone off after water damage is extrememly important (as the other posters said). I had mine in a pocket while wading in a river for 20-30 seconds or less. Continued to use it for an important business message immediately after...big mistake. Passport did not recover after approx. 6 days with dessicant in a bag.
    06-27-16 11:59 AM