Would someone compare honestly these devices and give results which one is better?
    I currently use z30. But I want to try android because my z30 seems very slow sometime.

Is passport really worth to buy if typing is essential part?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:23 PM
    If you think your z30 is slow wait till you work with any of the android phones for less than a month, your DROID will be like waiting for molasses to dry while your z30 zips along.

I had a z10 and tested it versus my work S4 and emails came into the hub and dealt with way faster than in my s4.

I have a z30 for the great battery life, A moved screen, fantastic screen and wouldn't trade it for a s5 or iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 10:58 PM
    I've never had an Android, but I owned both and they're both excellent, I've had my passport for 2 days now, and still am not fully equipped as I was on the Z30.

As far as speed, battery, functionality, and the camera, I can tell you it's all amazing and better then the Z30, pretty sweet to see the transformation.

The keyboard is where the learning curve is for sure, but I'll give it a week or so and I'll be adjusted.

I've had the Z10->Q10->Z30->Passport, so flipping from a touch to keys has happened, and I find there is a time when you do get a good touch for it, just gotta practice.

Passport, it's the optimal viewing experience.
    09-28-14 11:15 PM
    I guess a good question to start is: What part of your Z30 seems slow?

Is it the overall OS? It should be smooth and snappy, so you might want to restart your device or perhaps reload the OS.

Or are you taking about Android apps? In that case, it might very well be that those native android devices will be better. However 10.3 is a big improvement for the Android runtime (even on a Z30), and the Passport is more powerful than the Z30 so I imagine they are even better.

But most devices will slow down once they fill up with apps and junk. I'm actually surprised at how well my Z30 runs after almost 9 months with it. I've tried a just factory refreshed S4 active (has better processor specs than Z30) and it didn't seem markedly smoother. I couldn't stand having to check so many apps for all my messages though.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AnimalPak200; 09-29-14 at 12:42 AM.
    yasikhi likes this.
    09-28-14 11:22 PM
    If you decide to get the Note, then get the Note4 which will be coming out real soon
    09-28-14 11:30 PM
    If you think your z30 is slow wait till you work with any of the android phones for less than a month, your DROID will be like waiting for molasses to dry while your z30 zips along.

I had a z10 and tested it versus my work S4 and emails came into the hub and dealt with way faster than in my s4.

I have a z30 for the great battery life, A moved screen, fantastic screen and wouldn't trade it for a s5 or iPhone 6.

Posted via CB10
    Ignore this Android stereotype, although know that some lag in usage is a relatively fair bash on Samsung phones due to their infamously bloated 'Touchwiz' OS - but this is getting better. A top of the range Android won't slow down after a month, and if you get something like a Nexus, HTC One or Moto X you'll be zipping along consistently. Samsung is also getting better and the Note 4 may be just as good.

But in short, if typing is your main need then in all honesty - buy a BlackBerry with a hardware keyboard, they are still unrivalled and I wouldn't do without one.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    yasikhi likes this.
    09-29-14 12:07 AM
    I never had an android device. But checking friends one seems faster. I do have to reboot the device some time.

Passport needs a learning curve after using touch keyboard after a year. I know typing is far superior in BlackBerry Z30 than any other device (android and iPhone) .

Just wondering if someone used both devices for a long time.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:10 AM
    I didn't like much Q10 because screen size and and there was no swipe up function. I use Z30 and still typing speed is good.
    But when I use laptop I feel better in typing. For example emails and calendar editing.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:15 AM
    I was using a Q10 and Z30 before my Passport, so the learning curve for the keyboard wasn't steep.. and of course I'll suggest Passport.
    09-29-14 12:20 AM
    I find the passport way more smooth and refined than my z10, and I thought the z10 was awesome already

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:21 AM
    I have a Z30 and it never ever lagged. I don't know why it lags for you. Every Android device I owned started to seriously lag after three months. My friend has S5 and he says it was smooth in the beginning, but now samo old Android.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:53 AM
    I own a note 3. Android will always be android and if you value features like reliable communication then soon you'll miss BlackBerry experience. I know I do. Touchwiz can sometimes get annoying but being android the possibilities are many. The stylus is the biggest feature here. A very handy tool. Coming from z30 you'll miss the blackberry experience. Just my opinion.
    09-29-14 01:54 PM
    to me, a bb is pointless without a physical keyboard. iPhone and android offer superior devices, period.
    09-29-14 01:58 PM
    Overlake, I agree with you largely. BB only appealed to me because of the passport's great keyboard. Nobody would really ever buy a BB all touch device if they're coming from Android or iOS, no matter how good BB10 is (and I'm loving it).

Also, am I the only one who thinks these Galaxy S devices are absolutely hideous things?
    Savior4Life likes this.
    09-29-14 02:13 PM
    Overlake, I agree with you largely. BB only appealed to me because of the passport's great keyboard. Nobody would really ever buy a BB all touch device if they're coming from Android or iOS, no matter how good BB10 is (and I'm loving it).
    Why so?

Posted via CB10 from Q10
    09-29-14 02:29 PM
    Well if you're buying a personal phone, you want to be able to connect with friends using the same applications as them. If I was buying a plain ol' touch screen phone, I wouldn't get a Z30. It just poses too many problems - with the whole sideloading issue and having some apps just not work properly.

I can forgive these problems with my PP however, for the sheer ease of use it offers for everything else.

I don't know a single person who owns a BB, and I certainly don't know anybody who has a BB for personal use. This may change if they sort the app issue out - it's a minor issue to some, but a huge deal for most.
    09-29-14 02:43 PM
    It's interesting but I feel BB10 is very underrated, I've had everything, iphone, android, winmo 8.1 etc you get used to each eco system and it's not as easy to move between them when you start relying on imessage, hangouts etc etc. If you started from a feature phone today would people still vote the same way?

Well if you're buying a personal phone, you want to be able to connect with friends using the same applications as them. If I was buying a plain ol' touch screen phone, I wouldn't get a Z30. It just poses too many problems - with the whole sideloading issue and having some apps just not work properly.

I can forgive these problems with my PP however, for the sheer ease of use it offers for everything else.

I don't know a single person who owns a BB, and I certainly don't know anybody who has a BB for personal use. This may change if they sort the app issue out - it's a minor issue to some, but a huge deal for most.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 02:54 PM
    Well if you're buying a personal phone, you want to be able to connect with friends using the same applications as them.
    It is something I had not noticed. I have a BB10 phone and in no way it prevents me from connecting with friends and other people. Totally to the contrary.

I have to admit I do not care what apps they use and I am not the type who shares his/her score on Candy Crush to get additional lives.

I have heard about Google services and some iOS proprietary apps but do not care about them or if my contacts use them as I do not need them.

I am genuinely curious about these apps you are talking about. They must be really addictive or useful if you think jumping to BB10 prevents you to connect with your friends.

Or maybe I am just getting old.

Posted via CB10 from Q10
    09-29-14 05:00 PM
    I'm not saying they prevent you from connecting with friends, but when Snapchat is just plain out of the question for regular users, and Google Play Services aren't available, it would put many regular users off. They want to be doing what everyone else is doing, and unfortunately BB10 is still lacking in the app department. Quite heavily.

I'm not bashing BB10 here. I have no allegiance to any mobile OS in particular - I have BBPP, Microsoft Surface, Lenovo Yoga and an iMac. I buy what appeals to me based on merit and not as a matter of loyalty. I think BB10 is great, but the all touches won't appeal to regular users until the app situation is sorted out.
    09-29-14 05:25 PM
    I currently have a note2 and a z30. They both have advantages. The advantages for a note2 is faster at restarting, opening apps, and screen size. Faster restarting doesn't mean much to me since I restart my phone... hardly ever. Screen size, well that's a personal thing as some call the z30 a phablet. I like bigger so for me the z30 is small. Quicker app loading. I can wait a spilt second longer. To be fair the apps that are often slower are android apps.

The z30 has a better battery in my usage, I have less glitches or slow downs the browser is more robust, I like the keyboard way better (although I wish it were bigger)

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 05:28 PM
    Ignore this Android stereotype, although know that some lag in usage is a relatively fair bash on Samsung phones due to their infamously bloated 'Touchwiz' OS - but this is getting better. A top of the range Android won't slow down after a month, and if you get something like a Nexus, HTC One or Moto X you'll be zipping along consistently. Samsung is also getting better and the Note 4 may be just as good.

But in short, if typing is your main need then in all honesty - buy a BlackBerry with a hardware keyboard, they are still unrivalled and I wouldn't do without one.

This comment by me was no stereotype. If you actually read the whole comment you would see that I tested because I convinced my IT Dept to allow me to have my work Samsung vs the z10 and they agreed. The rest results speak for themselves. It has also been my experience by others that happen to have the same z10 or z30 home phone vs a Samsung work phone.

For you to say that after a month a high end android phone should degrade in performance how would you know if you aren't using and doing what they are doing?

It's obvious that you like Android but unless you actually have tried out the situations people describe it doesn't help those who are looking for comments which will.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 07:46 PM
    This comment by me was no stereotype. If you actually read the whole comment you would see that I tested because I convinced my IT Dept to allow me to have my work Samsung vs the z10 and they agreed. The rest results speak for themselves. It has also been my experience by others that happen to have the same z10 or z30 home phone vs a Samsung work phone.

For you to say that after a month a high end android phone should degrade in performance how would you know if you aren't using and doing what they are doing?

It's obvious that you like Android but unless you actually have tried out the situations people describe it doesn't help those who are looking for comments which will.

Posted via CB10
    I have the HTC M7, used it for a year as my daily driver, and have continued to use it pretty much every day for the last six months in addition. It has remained blazing fast with zero lag, and is as fast as the day I got it. I am also a phone nerd/enthusiast

09-30-14 12:11 AM

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "connecting" with friends? How many people actually use Snapchat for meaningful communication? Better yet, when have you ever heard someone say, "Oh, you can't use Snapchat? That's too bad. It means we'll never be able to keep in touch."

I have a Z30 and have absolutely zero trouble keeping in touch with friends around the world via BBM, Whatsapp, Skype, LINE, Kakaotalk, good old fashioned email, and even text. In fact, some of the above-mentioned apps (even though they are Android APKs) actually run better on my Z30 than friends' iDevices (LINE repeatedly crashes for them).

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 12:59 AM
    You have some valid points. I think BlackBerry should focus on core strengths and bring out innovative hybrid devices. Let them create a niche market. A market for productivity minded people. It will take time to find success in the consumer market. I think they are trying to do that by bringing Amazon App store. Even though it is not yet prefect at least the app situation is slightly better now.

I'm not saying they prevent you from connecting with friends, but when Snapchat is just plain out of the question for regular users, and Google Play Services aren't available, it would put many regular users off. They want to be doing what everyone else is doing, and unfortunately BB10 is still lacking in the app department. Quite heavily.

I'm not bashing BB10 here. I have no allegiance to any mobile OS in particular - I have BBPP, Microsoft Surface, Lenovo Yoga and an iMac. I buy what appeals to me based on merit and not as a matter of loyalty. I think BB10 is great, but the all touches won't appeal to regular users until the app situation is sorted out.
    09-30-14 01:16 AM
    No need to get so touchy Captain, I'm sorry I criticised the almighty Blackberry! Jesus. Criticism is allowed.

Listen, I never once said that a lack of Snapchat means you can't keep in touch with friends. You know I didn't mean that, so why post it?

I'm talking about regular consumers here, who would want Snapchat (it's a popular app), and to be able to use Google Play Services etc.

This is a barrier to entry for regular consumers.
    09-30-14 06:17 AM