BB10 is going away. I for one do not want to move to android or IOS. I simply don't like those OS's. The data mining thing does not bother me. If you watch cable TV, use the internet, or make a phone call, your activity is being tracked. Only way you can prevent it is to kill the uplink. And after all, once all your data finds its way to that massive spread sheet, don't you become lost in the crowd again?

I decided to give Windows Phone a try running Window Mobile 10 OS. I bought a used Lumia 950XL in pristine condition with display dock for about $300 USD. Like the Passport, it is the last flagship device of a woebegone OS. I know the future of WM10 is as bleak as BB10. Like being picked up off the Titanic by the Hindenburg.

However, I perceive a difference in MS compared to BlackBerry: MS is still working to remain in the mobile hardware business. Their grand scheme is to create a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) and the mobile device rumored to run this will be the Surface Phone. UWP is a lofty goal, but if any company can pull it off, it would be MS.They have it all: Computers, tablets, game consoles, mobile devices, and most importantly, the funding and talent to devote to it. I know even if UWP comes to fruition it is very doubtful the current WM10 devices will be compatible with it.

I have been using the 950XL for about 10 days as my primary device. I work as a Project Manager in a highly technical and fast paced industry. My team members are at various points on the globe. We are in constant interaction through virtual methods.I'm a heavy PC and MS office user and travel regularly. The AT&T Passport was my constant companion for the last 2 years.

In this thread, I will relate my experience with WM10 as I put it through its paces and compare to BB10. Please share if you are doing similar. I intent to keep the app gap conversation to a minimum. The app cupboard is just as bare as BB10. A move from the desert to the tundra.

AT&T Passport vs 950XL points that I'll update add detail on in later postings:

950XL Pros:

20MPx camera (vs13Mpx)
    SD 810 octa-core (vs SD 801 quad-core)
    USB-C receptacle and fast charger
    1 year newer release
    MS app functionality
    Windows sync between phone and PC
    Removable battery
    Built in offline map capability
    Windows continuum with display dock

950XL Cons:

Message Management awkward
    No LED notification
    Notification sounds awkward
    VKB
    Flimsy feel
    Clunky OS (but they all are compared to BB10)
    No BBM app
    Speakers
    02-17-17 04:20 AM
    Not interested. Passport isn't going anywhere. Isn't there a windows forum this could be posted on? There's no other phone like the passport and that's final really. The seamless integration in note-taking between Evernote and remember is awesome, and it's account management is bar none. Passport for the win! Stock up or just leave it altogether but don't give false warnings

Posted via CB10
    ratfinkstooley and Jrox74 like this.
    02-17-17 05:24 AM
    Zombie vs Vampire?
    Tim-ANC and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    02-17-17 07:18 AM
    Vampires can live forever. These platforms won't. Unless you are talking about a vampire with a stake driven through its heart? Certainly a good analogy that.
    02-17-17 07:33 AM
    Not interested. Passport isn't going anywhere. Isn't there a windows forum this could be posted on? There's no other phone like the passport and that's final really. The seamless integration in note-taking between Evernote and remember is awesome, and it's account management is bar none. Passport for the win! Stock up or just leave it altogether but don't give false warnings

Posted via CB10
    If you're not interested, why reply. I appreciate the OP taking the time and effort to share, since he or she is obviously a long-time BlackBerry fan like myself.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC, Kot Prada and eshropshire like this.
    02-17-17 07:43 AM
    Passport is the best

Posted via CB10
    02-17-17 07:44 AM
    I too might jump ship from my BlackBerry Z30 To the nokia lumia 1520.

I am sad that i might have to leave BlackBerry since support is dying

Posted via my BlackBerry two way pager
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-17-17 08:02 AM
    If you're not interested, why reply. I appreciate the OP taking the time and effort to share, since he or she is obviously a long-time BlackBerry fan like myself.

Posted via CB10
    I certainly am a fan for almost 12 years. I wish BlackBerry would maintain an OS for a hundred years. But they won't.
    02-17-17 08:16 AM
    Passport was the best

Posted via CB10
    Fixed it for you.

Posted via CB10
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-17-17 09:30 AM
    What the Passport does well, it does better than anyone else. And what it does well are (to me) the most important features of a phone/device - such as phone calls, texting, notifications, email, the wonderful physical keyboard, the messaging HUB and durability. I too would pick another device if any of them could hold a candle to the Passport - I'm not staying for sentimentality. But the Passport makes my life easier and allows me to live it with ease instead of fumbling around with apps, a clunky OS and a horrible typing experience on the touchscreen. So for me, no other OS and device can be an improvement until someone makes a device that thinks like a phone and communication tool 1st and a gaming/multimedia device as a distant 2nd. I won't leave the Passport until it becomes impossible to stay and remain productive. We all have our varying opinions on when that is, so good luck in making your decision. For me, I am completely content staying for quite some time. The best thing I ever did was leave BlackBerry because now I appreciate much more what BB offers.
    Tim-ANC and Jrox74 like this.
    02-17-17 09:55 AM
    I dunno why anyone thinks there's anything different to be seen on android or another os. I've used android from almost the beginning, I've used windows from windows mobile. The only phone that has blown me away is the passport and the seamless op of its software. It's durability is also second to none currently. I have dozens of android tablets and they're all useful don't get me wrong but doing a simple task like writing a memo on the passport is like eating the softest chocoBar ever made.

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-17-17 10:00 AM
    Viber was able to dump their Win Mobile app in favor of a UWP app, so hopefully BBM will release a UWP version which would not only bring it back to Win10 Mobile but also to millions of Windows laptops and tablets.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-17-17 10:23 AM
    "Like being picked up off the Titanic by the Hindenburg. "
    As someone who switched from HP Touchpad to Playbook... I love this comparison.

Looking forward to hear more about experience. I believe there are many who consider to move to WM10 from BB10 eventually. If WM10 survives, of course.

nobbynobrains and Tim-ANC like this.
    02-17-17 05:42 PM
    I've never used a windows phone. I'm highly intrigued with this post.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163 
    02-17-17 06:10 PM
    FWIW, I ran to the Nokia 909 a/k/a Lumia 1020 when my otherwise wonderful BlackBerry Z30's camera utterly failed me. I cannot comment on WP10, but I'm curious as to why the OP doesn't like iOS or Android. I currently use these two devices along with my Classic. To the OP I would recommend a dual device/platform solution. If I could choose only two, it would be an iPhone and Passport, with the latter making a great phablet. The WP's keys are way too narrow and UI is too funky to serve as a comfortable OS to use in the long-term. Good luck to the OP!

Posted via CB10 from my 100-4 Classic with BB10 OS 10.3.3.2049 on at&t
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-17-17 06:16 PM
    FWIW, I ran to the Nokia 909 a/k/a Lumia 1020 when my otherwise wonderful BlackBerry Z30's camera utterly failed me. I cannot comment on WP10, but I'm curious as to why the OP doesn't like iOS or Android. I currently use these two devices along with my Classic. To the OP I would recommend a dual device/platform solution. If I could choose only two, it would be an iPhone and Passport, with the latter making a great phablet. The WP's keys are way too narrow and UI is too funky to serve as a comfortable OS to use in the long-term. Good luck to the OP!

To each his own I guess. I like iOS but can't stand Android. Others love Android and hate iOS. I use a dual device set up myself.

 Posted via my Red Passport SQW100-1/10.3.3.2163  pin:2C09CE92
    02-17-17 07:20 PM
    I'll definitely keep tabs on this to see how you make out. I'm always fascinated to see how different phones and os's work for different people.

Good luck op!

Posted via CB10
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-17-17 07:28 PM
    "Passport vs Lumia 950XL"

Oh boy! I love both of those phones!
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-17-17 09:18 PM
    I'm interested. Tell us more!

A 950xl can be had for peanuts right now and playing with them at the AT&T store some time ago I found the OS to be amazingly smooth. I bet BlackBerry 10 would FLY on a modern SOC! What a thought. But I found the windows OS to be nice. It doesn't hurt that I use Windows computers all day, every day.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-17-17 09:36 PM
    Messaging and Notifications:

First I should point out that I've been using BB10 daily and exclusively since launch. I consider myself an advanced BB10 user. This is my first WP so there is a learning curve that will taint a fair comparison. There might be an easy solution I have not yet learned to fix something I point out as a problem.

The BB10 hub is definitely missed. WM10 uses an Outlook mobile app to manage email. It has a Linked Inbox where you add email accounts to show up in one place. I have 3 emails synced to this. I can't tell which account the message is from by glancing at it. (BB10 has a color code feature for this.) Also the sent emails don't show up here. To see sent mail you have to go into the menu and select the sent box folder for the account. Time consuming. To make it simpler, I pinned my company email sent folder as a live tile to the start screen. Easier but adds clutter. I set a tile for Gmail. The Linked Inbox does have dark theme, so those of you wishing for dark Hub, here it is, sorta. The email management does have a few nice features like swiping a message to do different actions and the live tile on the start screen for the message folder shows you what is new and how many there is. There might be an app that handles email better.

SMS and MMS handled by a different app called Messaging. More message dispersal.

No LED. I use this a lot on BB10 by assigning different blink colors for email accounts or people. I have to wake the 950XL to see if I have new messages.

I am having trouble getting the notification sounds to behave. I have turned them all on for my company email and text. A sound does play when a message arrives but I also get sounds for no apparent reason giving a false indication I have a new message. Of course I waste time checking. This might be ignorance about how to set it up properly. I think I can add my custom sound files and use those like BB10.

From the lock screen, a swipe down will show all open notifications without going to start screen and they can be cleared from here. That is a nice feature.

Passport vs Lumia 950XL-wp_ss_20170218_0001.jpg
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-18-17 02:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly what I thought. Most of CrackBerrians are/were BB Users and we do not really need Other-OS-Haters here. It's enough if we share some love for Blackberry gadgets.
    02-18-17 08:34 AM
    Exactly what I thought. Most of CrackBerrians are/were BB Users and we do not really need Other-OS-Haters here. It's enough if we share some love for Blackberry gadgets.
    I don't really get hating on other os's in general. They're all unique and all have their benefits. What os you use doesn't impact my day to day at all? If you like it, great! That's what matters.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-17 09:30 AM
    No LED. I use this a lot on BB10 by assigning different blink colors for email accounts or people. I have to wake the 950XL to see if I have new messages.
    Have you checked out glance screen? It's essentially Lumia's version of the LED.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    02-18-17 09:52 AM
    Have you checked out glance screen? It's essentially Lumia's version of the LED.
    I do see new messages and Skype chat notices there. Still have to pick it up and click a button when its dark though. I'm not fully confident that it will show a new message notification 100% of the time. No evidence it hasn't. Just my natural suspicion of mechanisms new to me.

For those unfamiliar with WM10, glance screen is what you see when the phone is locked. Has a clock and notifications. You can configure it to go dark after a period of time.
    02-18-17 10:29 AM

You have good points. Android and IOS to me seem to be what you see, what you get OSs. Meaning low ability to customize. Only experience I have with android is the limited times I've used my wife's Samsungs. No experience with IOS, but some of my coworkers have them and are forever missing emails. I don't know if WM10 is either, but I'm very familiar with tweaking my PCs to exactly the way I want them to work.

I had to carry two phones before. Was like having two wives.
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-18-17 11:09 AM
70 123