I work in construction, two mates who work with me both bought a iphone 6 this year,my passport is 9 months old,one iphone has a screen like a spiders Web when it slipped out his hand and fell two feet onto the floor,and the other one has dust in the speaker and you can't hear it, meanwhile the passport is still in pristine condition and looks brand new, needless to say the jibes seem to have stopped off them..

Passport to heaven..
    07-06-15 07:06 AM
    Well when many claim a phone is made of quality metals. You would expect it to feel as though it is. Even the HTC feels and seems to have a better metal case than the iphone does.
    Weight doesn't necessarily mean better build, but when the phone is so light and has plastic laced throughout the metal case. Just my opinion was, how thick is the metal casing around this phone? Can't be that thick nor strong.

And stick to topic theboogeyman, we're talking first impressions. Not in depth look at internals.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think 'high quality' metals == heavy. The iPhone is made with some aluminum + stainless steel combination. Obviously, given that it is subject to bending,.. it is not very thick, but then again... it's not meant to be used to hold together a bridge.

Having said that, I did have the same first impression when I first held an iPhone. However I don't think it was just the weight (which hands are terrible at telling), but it's the fact that the rear surface and sides completely lack any texture!

The iPhone 5/S feels like a machine, with sharper edges, we'll defined side buttons, etc. Same goes for the Passport.

The iPhone 6 just feels like it completely lacks tactile features (which just happens to be the sense that our hands are the best at). It's a complete antithesis to why we stick around for BlackBerry,.. WE LIKE TACTILE FEEDBACK PROVIDED BY PHYSICAL BUTTONS.

So yes,.. there is some merit to the bashing of the iPhone 6s design,.. but it's not necessarily about the weight.

Posted via CB10
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    07-06-15 07:22 AM
    I don't think 'high quality' metals == heavy. The iPhone is made with some aluminum + stainless steel combination. Obviously, given that it is subject to bending,.. it is not very thick, but then again... it's not meant to be used to hold together a bridge.

Having said that, I did have the same first impression when I first held an iPhone. However I don't think it was just the weight (which hands are terrible at telling), but it's the fact that the rear surface and sides completely lack any texture!

The iPhone 5/S feels like a machine, with sharper edges, we'll defined side buttons, etc. Same goes for the Passport.

The iPhone 6 just feels like it completely lacks tactile features (which just happens to be the sense that our hands are the best at). It's a complete antithesis to why we stick around for BlackBerry,.. WE LIKE TACTILE FEEDBACK PROVIDED BY PHYSICAL BUTTONS.

So yes,.. there is some merit to the bashing of the iPhone 6s design,.. but it's not necessarily about the weight.

Posted via CB10
    Put that better and more appropriate than I did.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 07:27 AM
    So the iphone is a much lighter phone, wich is a great feature... but you decide to picture it as an disvantage. I love my passport, but I wouldn't mid it was lighter. What a BS thread...
    Eh, I've never tried the 6 plus, but my iPod touch 4th or 5th gen (can't remember, when they switched to 4" screens) IS way too light and slim. It's hard to hold correctly and the lightness makes it seem like it's going to drop or something all the time, in addition to giving it a "fake" feeling. Just like what you'd feel if you were holding a dummy phone over a real one.
    07-06-15 07:49 AM
    Both are nice phones in my opinion, though I don't like the way that the lens protrudes, and the antenna lines are also odd.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:17 AM
    I have a Passport & the wife has an iPhone 6+. I do all of the setup on hers & fix things when they need fixing since she isn't too tech savvy. I think the 6+ is a good device & it's a perfect fit for my wife who just likes to be able to check Facebook, take pictures, check email, etc.

I can't stand IOS & it drives me bananas when I need to use it. Too inefficient for me. I have the latest version of the iPod touch that I use for music so I deal with IOS there too. The Passport works perfectly for what I need it for but my wife would likely not be as keen on it.

Posted via CB10
    JanuarJaguar and tmf06 like this.
    07-06-15 09:53 AM
    I prefer the build quality of the 5/5s. I've held the 6+ and it seems too slippery for the size. The Note 2 I used for the past 2 years felt nice and had a better grip to it. I would've preferred they make the edges on the 6/6+ more similar to the 5/5s' design. The Passport I tried out in AT&T feels nice but I liked the feel to the Classic a bit more.
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    07-06-15 10:39 AM
    So out of curiosity I was in the store and thought what's the hype about iphones build quality that a lot of people say is so great. So I went to the electronic department and decided to check one out.

First thought, this iphone 6plus feels like a cheap tin can wrapped around electronic components. And the plastic trim that breaks it into sections of metal around the phone looks even cheaper. Not only that, but the phone is so light for its size, I felt like the wind could blow it right out of my hand. Heck even my old phone, LG G Flex seemed to be built better and look better.

So, to my question. Has anyone else put there Passport next to one of the new iphones and thought, wow, this iphone seems like a cheap piece of junk compared to the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't say that the iPhone 6+ feels cheap or flimsy of like a piece of junk, but I would say that it doesn't feel 'BlackBerry solid'. I would be very worried if I had a 6+ as I am always dropping my phones.....

A friend got a 6+ and she loved it (she is a long term iPhone user so was already completely familiar with iOS), but she eventually got rid of it for the same reasons that my Passport would be no good for her.... too large for her to easily carry around. She really liked it for 2 reasons: 1) decent battery life (evidently a major change for a long-term iPhone user!), & 2) the bigger screen meant that she no longer needed to lug around a tablet to review spreadsheets etc (similar to my preference for my Passport over my old Q10).
    07-06-15 01:40 PM
    , the iphone camera is the gold standard.[/QUOTE]

Wow! Thanks for the info. Haha....don't agree with you at all! Actually my Passport takes great pictures.
    07-06-15 02:39 PM
    , the iphone camera is the gold standard.
    Wow! Thanks for the info. Haha....don't agree with you at all! Actually my Passport takes great pictures.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with you! My girlfriend is always saying that the Passport takes the better pictures than her iPhone!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 03:12 PM
    Friction of a the same surface is proportional to it's mass (Coulomb's Laws of Friction). so regardless of the mass, it will always be proportional to the surface's friction. What can change how "grippy" the phone is in the hand is the surface's coeficient of friction. If you said that Iphone's isn't as easy to old because it's a slippery surface, I would agree, but not weight,

Iphone is a light phone, HTC One is a heavier phone, and both are very slippery in the hand, because the aluminum finish is slipery, the weight is almost irrelevant, if anything, a light phone is handy to be less noticeable in the pocket. Passport is grippy beccause it has a ruberized finish in the back, not because is heavy
    I didn't know the back of the Passport is rubbery.
    And wouldn't you know I own one.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 07:06 PM
    So out of curiosity I was in the store and thought what's the hype about iphones build quality that a lot of people say is so great. So I went to the electronic department and decided to check one out.

First thought, this iphone 6plus feels like a cheap tin can wrapped around electronic components. And the plastic trim that breaks it into sections of metal around the phone looks even cheaper. Not only that, but the phone is so light for its size, I felt like the wind could blow it right out of my hand. Heck even my old phone, LG G Flex seemed to be built better and look better.

So, to my question. Has anyone else put there Passport next to one of the new iphones and thought, wow, this iphone seems like a cheap piece of junk compared to the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    The iPhone 6 Plus has much better quality control. And the build is genuinely better. The Passport is poorly designed despite the brilliant ideas behind it. Being heavier doesn't mean it's better.

iOS, on the other hand, isn't half the OS that BB10 is, imo. And I'd of course rather have a Passport than a 6 Plus (though it would take me weeks to get a good non-defective Passport and only one try to get a good iPhone).

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 09:50 PM
    I didn't know the back of the Passport is rubbery.
    And wouldn't you know I own one.

Posted via CB10
    I would describe the back of my Passport as (slightly) rubbery - how would you describe the back of your Passport?
    07-06-15 10:09 PM
    I would describe the back of my Passport as (slightly) rubbery - how would you describe the back of your Passport?
    Flat finish, with texture of a super fine automotive wet sandpaper.
    Only reason I wouldn't say rubbery is there is no give to it. Like when you press into it, the back is hard like plastic, instead of a soft like a rubber coating would be.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:23 PM
    Flat finish, with texture of a super fine automotive wet sandpaper.
    Only reason I wouldn't say rubbery is there is no give to it. Like when you press into it, the back is hard like plastic, instead of a soft like a rubber coating would be.

Posted via CB10
    I've come to the conclusion that BlackBerry changed materials slightly for the black Passport (back and key feeling) a few months after launch. I've owned a few black Originals, the first was very grippy and had a matte looking keyboard. The one I have now is a less grippy and has a slightly shinier back (feels somewhere in between red Passport's and grippy black Passport). The keys are also less grippy and shinier.

I talked my iPhone buddy into getting a Passport. His is an earlier build and has gripper back and matte keys. I was comparing ours side by side yesterday.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    07-06-15 10:35 PM
    I've come to the conclusion that BlackBerry changed materials slightly for the black Passport (back and key feeling) a few months after launch. I've owned a few black Originals, the first was very grippy and had a matte looking keyboard. The one I have now is a less grippy and has a slightly shinier back (feels somewhere in between red Passport's and grippy black Passport). The keys are also less grippy and shinier.

I talked my iPhone buddy into getting a Passport. His is an earlier build and has gripper back and matte keys. I was comparing ours side by side yesterday.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    Wasn't aware they varied from unit to unit that noticeably.
    Good to know I guess.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 10:49 PM
    I dropped my passport so many times and just a minor scratch on the corner not visible that much. I don't have a case on and this is the only phone that I feel confident without a case since the Nokia 6600 days.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 06:44 AM
    Friction of a the same surface is proportional to it's mass (Coulomb's Laws of Friction). so regardless of the mass, it will always be proportional to the surface's friction. What can change how "grippy" the phone is in the hand is the surface's coeficient of friction. If you said that Iphone's isn't as easy to old because it's a slippery surface, I would agree, but not weight,

Iphone is a light phone, HTC One is a heavier phone, and both are very slippery in the hand, because the aluminum finish is slipery, the weight is almost irrelevant, if anything, a light phone is handy to be less noticeable in the pocket. Passport is grippy because it has a ruberized finish in the back, not because is heavy
    But you just quoted a law that says friction IS PROPORTIONAL to mass. In a gravitational field, mass == weight. So by your own quote, which is from Amonton, not Coulomb, the weight of an object DOES affect it's resistance to sliding on a dry surface. As does the material it's surface is made of. Passport is made with 'grippier' material and is heavier... both increase its effective friction on a surface.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 08:21 AM
    Link to where the G4 outperforms the iPhone 6plus in every category. On all accounts the G4 was a let down this year and it doesn't outperform the 6plus at hardly anything, let alone every aspect of the phone.

You sound like a jealous kid with all these iPhone rants.
    Just to please you I'll try searching for that link on the review I read.
    Don't worry in the end the apple prevails some how. So the $200 more you paid for the iphone is justified.

Not rants, just thoughts, points, and articles I've read.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 08:52 AM
    Just to please you I'll try searching for that link on the review I read.
    Don't worry in the end the apple prevails some how. So the $200 more you paid for the iphone is justified.

Not rants, just thoughts, points, and articles I've read.

Posted via CB10
    I'm not trying to justify anything. You said you just read an article with claims that the G4 bests the iPhone in every category. I've not seen one article where that's the case and I was just asking for a link as I'd like to read it. If you're going to make claims about what you read then back them up with a source.
    07-07-15 09:14 AM
    Love my 6 plus. Love my Passport. Just love the 6 plus more. If you want a cheap Tin can feel try any new galaxy.

Hard to talk down on an apple designed to product.

It's posts like this that are attempting to ruin this forum.

Who cares what is better and this and that. Even more, who wants to allude to obvious insecureness of some of these posters. "I didn't know this was an apple forum." Gtfoh and talk about something relevant.

@Shawnreum this thread is pathetic.
    07-07-15 10:02 AM
    I didn't know this was an iphone forum.
    And to answer your question, For all the same reasons that people rip on other phones and makers that aren't iphone...

Posted via CB10
    Instead of enjoying your choice of device, it's better wasting time on bashing other products/users?
    We should accept that other manufacturers can come up with great ideas, bettering one product over the other. No harm in that.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    07-07-15 11:11 AM
    [WARN]The bickering and insults have to stop here. Discuss and debate, but don't get personal.

A number of inappropriate posts (and where they were quoted) have been deleted.[/WARN]
    07-07-15 11:28 AM
    I have an iPhone 6+ and I love it. I initially sold it to try the new Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, but I was so unhappy with the battery life. I had a passport around Nov of last year and I loved it, but started having a lot of similar issues regarding double texting and other audio issues. I have since went back to my iPhone 6+ and I just realized that this OS fits my needs better than any other device. As a music producer Apple really hits the nail on the head
    07-07-15 11:49 AM
    I have an iPhone 6+ and I love it. I initially sold it to try the new Samsung Galaxy S6 edge, but I was so unhappy with the battery life. I had a passport around Nov of last year and I loved it, but started having a lot of similar issues regarding double texting and other audio issues. I have since went back to my iPhone 6+ and I just realized that this OS fits my needs better than any other device. As a music producer Apple really hits the nail on the head
    How does Apple cater to your needs as a music producer, or simply a creative, better than other platforms?
    07-07-15 01:58 PM
64 123