So out of curiosity I was in the store and thought what's the hype about iphones build quality that a lot of people say is so great. So I went to the electronic department and decided to check one out.

First thought, this iphone 6plus feels like a cheap tin can wrapped around electronic components. And the plastic trim that breaks it into sections of metal around the phone looks even cheaper. Not only that, but the phone is so light for its size, I felt like the wind could blow it right out of my hand. Heck even my old phone, LG G Flex seemed to be built better and look better.

So, to my question. Has anyone else put there Passport next to one of the new iphones and thought, wow, this iphone seems like a cheap piece of junk compared to the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 09:36 PM
    I actually like the iphone 6 plus , nice big screen , great pictures , but i still love my Passport.
    07-05-15 09:41 PM
    Nope. I'm not one that obsesses over build quality in the first place. I'm more concerned of how well the phone fits my usage patterns than the build quality. The light feel of the iPhone 6 Plus doesn't take away from its functionality at all.

For the record I don't own a Passport, but have used someone else's for about 15 minutes and could tell that it wasn't for me, as I made entirely too many mistakes while typing on it. The feel of the international model in hand was also awkward for me. I briefly held the AT&T version and the rounded corners make a world of difference in my comfort level with holding the device.

I do own an iPhone 6 Plus, but it doesn't fit my usage patterns well at all. It is on one of my low priority lines for now.
    07-05-15 09:46 PM
    Nope. I'm not one that obsesses over build quality in the first place. I'm more concerned of how well the phone fits my usage patterns than the build quality. The light feel of the iPhone 6 Plus doesn't take away from its functionality at all.

For the record I don't own a Passport, but have used someone else's for about 15 minutes and could tell that it wasn't for me, as I made entirely too many mistakes while typing on it. The feel of the international model in hand was also awkward for me. I briefly held the AT&T version and the rounded corners make a world of difference in my comfort level with holding the device.

I do own an iPhone 6 Plus, but it doesn't fit my usage patterns well at all. It is on one of my low priority lines for now.
    Do you have a case on the phone? I found the period like camera lens protruding out the back of the iphone leaving a person no option, but to get a case on it.

Like I said, I had the LG G flex. It has a 6" screen. So not a small phone at all. And also found the Passport a bit tricky to get use to compared to a virtual keyboard. But a person needs an honest week with the keyboard switch to make judgment about the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 10:00 PM
    So out of curiosity I was in the store and thought what's the hype about iphones build quality that a lot of people say is so great. So I went to the electronic department and decided to check one out.

First thought, this iphone 6plus feels like a cheap tin can wrapped around electronic components. And the plastic trim that breaks it into sections of metal around the phone looks even cheaper. Not only that, but the phone is so light for its size, I felt like the wind could blow it right out of my hand. Heck even my old phone, LG G Flex seemed to be built better and look better.

So, to my question. Has anyone else put there Passport next to one of the new iphones and thought, wow, this iphone seems like a cheap piece of junk compared to the Passport?

Posted via CB10
    I did not know that more weight = more quality. Certainly my 50 lbs old crt tv is no better quality than a LED tv weighing 20 lbs less
    The internal of the plus are way better than the Passport ones.
    07-05-15 10:05 PM
    Do you have a case on the phone? I found the period like camera lens protruding out the back of the iphone leaving a person no option, but to get a case on it.

Like I said, I had the LG G flex. It has a 6" screen. So not a small phone at all. And also found the Passport a bit tricky to get use to compared to a virtual keyboard. But a person needs an honest week with the keyboard switch to make judgment about the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    I take the protruding high quality camera of the 6 over the one of the Passport any day.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    07-05-15 10:07 PM
    I did not know that more weight = more quality. Certainly my 50 lbs old crt tv is no better quality than a LED tv weighing 20 lbs less
    The internal of the plus are way better than the Passport ones.
    Well when many claim a phone is made of quality metals. You would expect it to feel as though it is. Even the HTC feels and seems to have a better metal case than the iphone does.
    Weight doesn't necessarily mean better build, but when the phone is so light and has plastic laced throughout the metal case. Just my opinion was, how thick is the metal casing around this phone? Can't be that thick nor strong.

And stick to topic theboogeyman, we're talking first impressions. Not in depth look at internals.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 10:15 PM
    I never cared about the iPhone 6 Plus because it's just the same thing as the 6, just bigger. Those phones are standard and basic, there's really nothing about iPhones that amazes me.

The 6 Plus and the Passport are really different devices, and when I use my coworker's, I'm never feeling like I'm missing out by not having one.

Posted via CB10
    Barbareren likes this.
    07-05-15 10:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Based on posts on this forums I read a lot of people have problems with defective units and considering sales of Blackberry are very low (1 million a quarter) I do not think you should say that Blackberry build quality is good..now if Blackberry would sell as many as Apple maybe you would have a point but they do not. I hardly hear of anyone having problems with Apple. I know I never had any.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-05-15 10:28 PM
    Based on posts on this forums I read a lot of people have problems with defective units and considering sales of Blackberry are very low (1 million a quarter) I do not think you should say that Blackberry build quality is good..now if Blackberry would sell as many as Apple maybe you would have a point but they do not. I hardly hear of anyone having problems with Apple. I know I never had any.
    First impressions. Side by side.

Btw....even the LG G3 has the platinum camera over apples phones.

Posted via CB10
    beamolite likes this.
    07-05-15 10:36 PM
    As a steady user of IP6 for work... and only playing with the neighbours passport to set up and trouble shoot issues.... not sure if I am qualified to make a comment on this... but here we go anyways..... do not see the point of comparing... phones are made for different markets... Iphone is a consumer centric phone which is bleeding big time into business... Passport is a business device with a consumer following.... find the Iphone 6 build quality to be acceptable... ( crack screen issues withstanding )... find the passport too unwieldy and am not interested in learning a new keyboard... but is really built with business in mind.... build quality is of little interest to me... From a build quality standpoint I much prefer my wife's LG 3G Android... nice an light... feels great in the hand and has a removable battery to boot..;... so it is all subjective....
    Smply_Rckless and treyehva like this.
    07-05-15 10:38 PM
    As a steady user of IP6 for work... and only playing with the neighbours passport to set up and trouble shoot issues.... do not see the point of comparing... phones are made for different markets... Iphone is a consumer centric phone which is bleeding into business... Passport is a business device with a consumer following.... find the Iphone 6 build quality to be acceptable... ( crack screen issues withstanding )... find the passport too unwieldy and am not interested in learning a new keyboard... so build quality is of little interest to me... From a build quality standpoint I much prefer my wife's LG 3G Android... nice an light... feels great and has a removable battery to boot..;... so it is all subjective....
    That LG G3 is a nice phone. My wife has it also. But it to has a weight to it, light but not to light.

Probably just me, but to light can wreck my thoughts on a phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-15 10:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I have a case on my iPhone. I have a case on all of my phones except for the Captivate Glide.

To be honest, I wouldn't give a Passport a week's time because that would mean that I would have to own it. I'm not paying that kind of money for a phone with a physical keyboard. Also, my time with the Z10 showed that BB10 doesn't meet my needs well. If there is ever a BB11 (or some successor to BB10), I'll try a BlackBerry again.
    07-05-15 10:50 PM
    I like the insidious curved displays of the iPhone 6+'s, quite revolutionary.
    07-05-15 11:24 PM
    I have and love my Passport because of what I use it for. This past holiday weekend, my brother in-law was visiting and I got to see the iPhone 6 plus in actual use. My observations :

1. Camera is really nice on the iP6+. 240 fps and doing slow motion videos of kids etc was very nice.
    2. Siri still sucks, if not more than before. He tried to show it off saying take me to my house and it failed to understand twice!
    3. Workflow is really terrible. We were parked and calling for curbside delivery. To switch between the email confirmation, make a call, switch to the confirmation again, then hang up the call made me hold my laughter....
    4. Apps, integration of Yelp into a lot of things is better than BB10

Also just an FYI even an apple fanboy like him laughs at the apple watch and their music service. I didn't know that once you sign up for Apple music it ADDS DRM to your existing pre-purchased music !!???

Posted via CB10
    HereticHermit and gallopiton like this.
    07-05-15 11:26 PM
    Yes, I have a case on my iPhone. I have a case on all of my phones except for the Captivate Glide.

To be honest, I wouldn't give a Passport a week's time because that would mean that I would have to own it. I'm not paying that kind of money for a phone with a physical keyboard. Also, my time with the Z10 showed that BB10 doesn't meet my needs well. If there is ever a BB11 (or some successor to BB10), I'll try a BlackBerry again.
    Fair enough...
    The Passport doesn't fit your needs in a phone.
    I've played with the iPhone 6 Plus and I wouldn't get one myself personally, but I would get one for my Dad.
    iOS is great, easy to use, stable and I like the size of the 6 Plus... but I prefer my Passport over the 6 Plus.

Post from my Passport or my Z30 or my Playbook
    07-06-15 12:45 AM
    I have never liked iphones from the start and they all look very much alike nowadays I would never buy one and do not want to ever use one
    07-06-15 12:59 AM
    Played with both at the store. IPhone 6 plus too slippery, would need a case to make it grippy so that's a deal breaker for me as I don't like cases. Passport at first glance was a turnoff due to the width and still is. I'm not alone as I noticed most people that glance at the Passport in the stores grimace when they see it for the first time and that is enough for them not to try it. I especially hate the no option of horizontal view for videos and pictures. I also don't like the missing physical number keys. I left PKB eight years ago and if I went back to it, the Passport PKB is the one I'd avoid. The Passport demo at the store in my area also had a missing key, someone must've yanked it out or it fell out. They took it away but no one bothered to replace it so that slot was left empty for months with just the Passport advert.
    MTBro likes this.
    07-06-15 02:17 AM
    iphone 6 plus is 172 grams and passport is 196g but somehow passport feels lighter for me. Maybe it's more well balanced? Anyway, I have both and I actually like them both. Passport is most beautiful device I seen in 2014-2015! If passport had apps like ios, I would probably go with passport all the way.
    07-06-15 02:28 AM
    I work with someone who's got a 6+ and because I have a BlackBerry he refers to it as a 'dinosaur'. From what I've experienced, most people who carry iPhones talk down on most people who don't carry one. I thought I wanted an iPhone since the original one was announced but upon using it, it didn't meet my needs. Let's face it; the average consumer doesn't want a product that requires them to think too much to use it. If you're told that to get the most out of your phone you need a bunch of apps then you're going to go with the products that meets the needs with those services. Having carried a BlackBerry since at least 2008, carried an Android phone in addition to my BlackBerry since 2010 and iPhone for a short stint, the iPhone just didn't seem too smart. I stopped checking to see if the iPhone allows to be used as a Mass Storage device. I still think it's silly there is no expandable storage. I don't like to be told what I can't do within my Web browser. There are some things I feel a phone should do right out of the box and BlackBerry for the most part has never let me down. BlackBerry 10 is damn near flawless in terms of messaging efficiency and the only improvement I could see them making is bringing back the firewall settings from Legacy. Sorry this is kind of a "rant" but the "your weird for carrying a BlackBerry" **** gets old lol.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 03:50 AM
    I can never manage to type or work with any iphone, from 3 to 6. I lost patience.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 04:33 AM
    Just stating the fact that those who live in the real world know, the iphone camera is the gold standard.
    I don't know about being the best but BB as far as the camera is concerned doesn't make it to the podium,lol
    07-06-15 06:27 AM
    I don't like to be told what I can't do within my Web browser.
    Posted via CB10
    Uh you were told you couldn't use flash with the BB10 browser going forward.
    07-06-15 06:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    Let's look at the quality of the Passport:

Lifting screens.

Double typing.

Rusting Logos.

Smudge that appears around the logo for no apparent reason that won't wipe off.

I honestly think the build quality of the 5 was better than the 6 and 6plus but at least Apple doesn't encase their phones in cheap plastic like a lot of other manufacturers do. And for the record, the Passport isn't heavier because of its build quality, its heavier because it has a huge battery inside it.
    JanuarJaguar likes this.
    07-06-15 06:45 AM
    Let's look at the quality of the Passport:

Lifting screens.

Double typing.

Rusting Logos.
    User issue, using chemicals to keep phone clean.

Smudge that appears around the logo for no apparent reason that won't wipe off.
    And does wipe off. Multiple threads made with success.
    Not a single one of those exist on the Passport I have.

I could pin point every issue the iphone has also. But they don't hold true for every device. What do you expect to find on a forum where people go for help on a device. They don't come here to praise how good it is, you don't even see that on apple forums. You'd see complaints and problems.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-15 06:54 AM
64 123