I like the BBQ10 more than the Passport, but I have heard that the Q10's VoLTE implementation may not be supported by carriers for much longer. Does the Passport have a more up-to-date VoLTE implementation which is more future-proof?
    09-30-20 05:04 PM
    I like the BBQ10 more than the Passport, but I have heard that the Q10's VoLTE implementation may not be supported by carriers for much longer. Does the Passport have a more up-to-date VoLTE implementation which is more future-proof?
    I don’t believe so but we’ll find out when it happens. You’ll be certain then.
    Leather_nun likes this.
    09-30-20 09:14 PM
    Depends on the carrier. For example, AT&T is definitely not supporting it. They aren't supporting any BB10 phone, even if they sold it.
    09-30-20 10:51 PM
    In the end.... plan on it not working, hope for the best and just wait and see.
    10-01-20 01:49 PM
    Doesn't support the bands for TMobile and Verizon. The former, I have direct confirmation of from insiders.

And others pointed out, no support for ATT's.

If you're in the US, your phone will no longer be a phone in Jan 2021 unless you have Bell, then you'll be fine till Jan 2022.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-20 10:27 AM
    Doesn't support the bands for TMobile and Verizon. The former, I have direct confirmation of from insiders.

And others pointed out, no support for ATT's.

If you're in the US, your phone will no longer be a phone in Jan 2021 unless you have Bell, then you'll be fine till Jan 2022.

Posted via CB10
    AT&T I thought was good until Jan 2022 for at least carrier hardware?
    10-02-20 10:51 AM
    Bell == AT&T

Posted via CB10
    10-02-20 11:14 AM
    Bell == AT&T

Posted via CB10
    Gotcha, ya gotta keep it simple with me
    10-02-20 11:41 AM
    I don’t believe so but we’ll find out when it happens. You’ll be certain then.
    Pardon the "noob" acct, mobilenations wouldn't send refresh PW email...

After wiping (removing non-native apk's etc) my SQW100-1 resumed without hitch worked flawlessly over 2 yr, the only "apk" I needed was Telegram (mainly to port pix to the pC without the cable/hassle) - but, nobody'd said anything about BB10 OS EOL "ticker" last year...

It "just worked" and still does. Metro PCS, (t-mobile MVNO) shows the 4gLTE icon, 4 bars... for now

From other posts I see "?? 2021" T-Mobile's dropping VoLTE support (Passport frequencies). The only clue will be 4gLTE icon turns "emergency calls" (?) guessing (?) 90 - 120 days ... fully aware carriers "just do" stuff, F* the end user...

Highly doubtful AT&T prepaid will "SIM' a Passport AND provision working VoLTE (i'd like to be wrong, but...)

Any other GSM prepaid SIM working? Most are Tracfone rebrand, (e.g. Simplemobile) VzW recently bought. Thoughts?

TAKE AWAY - for US victims, is the Passport "lights out" more about carrier carrier disconnect (?) than the 10.3.3 EOL date?

I get it. Took 2 years to save for the Passport, a God-Send it was...

"just grab" a refugee dumb-phone is at best 2 months out... Crossing fingers they'll at least give us that... WHAT gives carriers the notion a "new device" is like buyin' a McCheezBurger

None of my fotos, contacts, etc, go anyware but removable SD

Thanks in advance.

ANY heads up, prevent of hasty purchase error, deeply grateful in advance
    10-26-20 10:17 PM

After wiping (removing non-native apk's etc) my SQW100-1 resumed without hitch worked flawlessly over 2 yr, the only "apk" I needed was Telegram (mainly to port pix to the pC without the cable/hassle) - but, nobody'd said anything about BB10 OS EOL "ticker" last year...

It "just worked" and still does. Metro PCS, (t-mobile MVNO) shows the 4gLTE icon, 4 bars... for now

From other posts I see "?? 2021" T-Mobile's dropping VoLTE support (Passport frequencies). The only clue will be 4gLTE icon turns "emergency calls" (?) guessing (?) 90 - 120 days ... fully aware carriers "just do" stuff, F* the end user...

Highly doubtful AT&T prepaid will "SIM' a Passport AND provision working VoLTE (i'd like to be wrong, but...)

Any other GSM prepaid SIM working? Most are Tracfone rebrand, (e.g. Simplemobile) VzW recently bought. Thoughts?

TAKE AWAY - for US victims, is the Passport "lights out" more about carrier carrier disconnect (?) than the 10.3.3 EOL date?

"just grab" a refugee dumb-phone is at best 2 months out... Crossing fingers they'll at least give us that... WHAT gives carriers the notion a "new device" is like buyin' a McCheezBurger

Thanks in advance.

And you lose your phone this afternoon... where are your fotos, contacts, etc going to be... just on the SD card that still in your phone somewhere?

Nobody knows for sure what happens in a few months when T-Mobile and Verizon shutdown 3G. Or at that point if AT&T will even allow 3G activations (be smart if they do). But then they are also falling behind on 5G deployment. If they don't win this next spectrum auction.... they might have to end 3G much faster than they are currently planning. Have a plan in place... but wait and see if you want. (Me I'd get a new phone....)

McCheezBurger? Carrier's don't really care about any old (seven years) outdated technologies (gen 1 LTE), it's not just BB10 users being affected - old iPhone and Samsung users are in the same boat. But if your on a budget, carrier's have low cost options , to free phones. Just not going to find a PKB option at this point.

"prevent of hasty purchase error".... but a well reviewed carrier compatible phone. iOS is your best shot at cheap and long term updates (very important). iPhone (SE if free on Verizon), Pixel's or one of the Samsung's that is covered under their current upgrade policy (cheap ones sometimes aren't).
    Leather_nun likes this.
    10-27-20 09:17 AM
    Wrong thread. Sorry.
    10-27-20 09:18 AM

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to CrackBerry!!!!! Post early and post often.........

Interesting screen name BTW
    Leather_nun likes this.
    10-27-20 09:44 PM

"prevent of hasty purchase error".... but a well reviewed carrier compatible phone. iOS is your best shot at cheap and long term updates (very important). iPhone (SE if free on Verizon), Pixel's or one of the Samsung's that is covered under their current upgrade policy (cheap ones sometimes aren't).
    Thanks for the response. Handy access to the SD-card's one of those "Thoughtful, by design" features I'm going to miss terribly.

Like it or not, I'm on wait and SAVE, wait and learn. I need to get OVER being a fossil luddite, with a quickness...

A better choice of screen name would'a been "backward bumpkin", not the fallback from IRC days...

Bumpkin = No clue there's far more too it than 'the tower's over a mile away' ... BACKWARD (?) I'm still "wrapping mind around" what these changes are going to mean for what Open Signal calls "Rural, Distant" consumers.

Forgive delayed reply. Slow learner, steep curve...

There's already questions, but delving into "replace device" (reviews are a-plenty, but 'antenna' or "call quality" all too often overlooked) that sort of ?? drifts off topic here...

Thanks again

LN
    10-28-20 08:22 PM
    Thanks for the response. Handy access to the SD-card's one of those "Thoughtful, by design" features I'm going to miss terribly.

Like it or not, I'm on wait and SAVE, wait and learn. I need to get OVER being a fossil luddite, with a quickness...

A better choice of screen name would'a been "backward bumpkin", not the fallback from IRC days...

Bumpkin = No clue there's far more too it than 'the tower's over a mile away' ... BACKWARD (?) I'm still "wrapping mind around" what these changes are going to mean for what Open Signal calls "Rural, Distant" consumers.

There's already questions, but delving into "replace device" (reviews are a-plenty, but 'antenna' or "call quality" all too often overlooked) that sort of ?? drifts off topic here...

Thanks again

LN
    Yeah not many reviews on call quality or signal strength... but you stick to mainstream, you should be good.
    Leather_nun likes this.
    10-29-20 07:06 AM

Thanks again

LN
    AT&T officially will only support what is carrier branded on AT&T postpaid accounts only. At this point, AT&T list of supported VoLTE BlackBerry hardware only has AT&T PRIV and AT&T KEYone which I’m surprised even made the cut.
    Leather_nun likes this.
    10-29-20 07:51 AM
    not many reviews on call quality or signal strength
    Open Signal calls us "Rural, Distant" (bumpkin) consumers... There really are "Holes" where even a Kyocera Dura (3g, CDMA) goes "searching for ..." Good old "antenna map" still works and "no new towers" is not news. Who, when and how "they" re-invent the wheel (switch us to 4g VoLTE) there's little point to speculate.

Better to consider what's going to WORK, regardless of carrier ... all of which points to (like it or not) iOS for just plain "Phone is a Phone"

The Passport works great - It'll be a few weeks to make the jump. Being all "my stuff" is in there, and iOS has no SD card

Do I really need this "autoloader" thing to keep the Passport?
    11-01-20 02:35 PM
    Open Signal calls us "Rural, Distant" (bumpkin) consumers... There really are "Holes" where even a Kyocera Dura (3g, CDMA) goes "searching for ..." Good old "antenna map" still works and "no new towers" is not news. Who, when and how "they" re-invent the wheel (switch us to 4g VoLTE) there's little point to speculate.

Better to consider what's going to WORK, regardless of carrier ... all of which points to (like it or not) iOS for just plain "Phone is a Phone"

The Passport works great - It'll be a few weeks to make the jump. Being all "my stuff" is in there, and iOS has no SD card

Do I really need this "autoloader" thing to keep the Passport?
    Autoloader is only needed if your having some software issues and want to try a clean slate.

I made the jump long ago when OneDrive still worked fully and all my accounts were synced.
    11-11-20 11:45 AM