Does anybody know if the Passport is dual voltage or not? I tried searching the site but I couldn't find anything about the Passports voltage.

I'll be in london next week and I need to know if I need a converter or not. Would I be able to charge the phone with just a adapter??

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 09:04 AM
    I think you had better pack an adapter. I'm pretty sure UK models shipped with 220v chargers.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 09:06 AM
    It would be easier to read what's on your charger.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 09:27 AM
    Yes it is and you need a uk prong plug

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 10:10 AM
    My Passport has the UK plug and it reads input 100V-240V, 200mA, 50-60Hz. I guess all Passport plugs now have the same specification, and most phones have similar range of input spec.
    Just to be sure, check your phone's plug. You may need a magnifying glass, or use the Passport camera.
    02-05-15 11:59 AM
    My Passport has the UK plug and it reads input 100V-240V, 200mA, 50-60Hz. I guess all Passport plugs now have the same specification, and most phones have similar range of input spec.
    Just to be sure, check your phone's plug. You may need a magnifying glass, or use the Passport camera.
    My Playbook Charger says the same exact thing except it's 300mA instead of 200. So I should be good with this charger right? As long as I have a UK plug adapter?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 03:55 PM
    Ehhh don't rely on the passport voltage! You'll fry it

You need to use the charger that came with the Passport. Usually it says on it that it can take 220. Don't use any other charger unless u know what your doing

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 03:59 PM
    What a BS.
    Yes you will be fine. Any charger that fits into your passport charging port and have 100-220V covered in spec will be fine.
    You only need a UK plug adapter.
    02-05-15 04:01 PM
    'Input' Section:
    - If you look carefully at the print on various chargers/devices throughout your house, under the 'Input' section you will notice either a range of values (e.g. 110-240 volts) that covers all regions or a fixed value that is only applicable for your region.
    - In the case where it says 110-240 volts, this means the charger has a converter built-in that will ensure that the correct voltage gets sent to the phone. Therefore, you can use this charger anywhere around the world and will just need the proper adapter end for whatever wall socket you are plugging into.
    - However, if the charger doesn't show the full range, this means that there is no converter built into the charger and you should NOT just use the charger with the socket adapter. This will most likely fry your device depending on the voltage difference between the wall and what your phone needs. These types of chargers (i.e. fixed voltage chargers) would have to first be plugged into an external voltage converter and then plugged into the wall in order to prevent complications.

'Output' Section:
    This determines how quickly the device will charge. For example, my original Z10 charger says 750ma, whereas my Playbook charger says 1800ma. This is why some people use the Playbook charger since it provides more ma per hour than the standard charger thus charging the device quicker.
    Last edited by ryeguyyyc; 02-05-15 at 06:01 PM.
    FMB8900 likes this.
    02-05-15 05:41 PM
    My Playbook Charger says the same exact thing except it's 300mA instead of 200. So I should be good with this charger right? As long as I have a UK plug adapter?

Posted via CB10
    Your Playbook charger gives 1800 mA output, if I remember it correctly. The Passport charger gives 1300 mA output. But you can still use the Playbook charger for your Passport. It will charge faster but you may feel that the phone will be a little bit warmer than when using the standard charger. If you search this forum for Passport charging dock, you will find one or a few threads where people use the Playbook charging dock for Passport without any problem.

Sorry for not making it clear on my earlier post. Don't worry about the input current (300 mA). The concern is the input voltage and if it matches with that of the source then there should be no problem. (The input current can be understood as the maximum current that the charger takes to give the specified output current. The power source at home is often in the range of A, thousand/s of times greater and mA, and all the chargers are still fine)
    FMB8900 likes this.
    02-06-15 02:48 AM
    My Canadian/US passport charger supports 100-240v in. You are fine just using an adapter.
    02-06-15 08:11 AM
    'Input' Section:
    - If you look carefully at the print on various chargers/devices throughout your house, under the 'Input' section you will notice either a range of values (e.g. 110-240 volts) that covers all regions or a fixed value that is only applicable for your region.
    - In the case where it says 110-240 volts, this means the charger has a converter built-in that will ensure that the correct voltage gets sent to the phone. Therefore, you can use this charger anywhere around the world and will just need the proper adapter end for whatever wall socket you are plugging into.
    - However, if the charger doesn't show the full range, this means that there is no converter built into the charger and you should NOT just use the charger with the socket adapter. This will most likely fry your device depending on the voltage difference between the wall and what your phone needs. These types of chargers (i.e. fixed voltage chargers) would have to first be plugged into an external voltage converter and then plugged into the wall in order to prevent complications.

'Output' Section:
    This determines how quickly the device will charge. For example, my original Z10 charger says 750ma, whereas my Playbook charger says 1800ma. This is why some people use the Playbook charger since it provides more ma per hour than the standard charger thus charging the device quicker.
    Thank you for your detailed response! I really appreciate it!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:00 PM
    Your Playbook charger gives 1800 mA output, if I remember it correctly. The Passport charger gives 1300 mA output. But you can still use the Playbook charger for your Passport. It will charge faster but you may feel that the phone will be a little bit warmer than when using the standard charger. If you search this forum for Passport charging dock, you will find one or a few threads where people use the Playbook charging dock for Passport without any problem.

Sorry for not making it clear on my earlier post. Don't worry about the input current (300 mA). The concern is the input voltage and if it matches with that of the source then there should be no problem. (The input current can be understood as the maximum current that the charger takes to give the specified output current. The power source at home is often in the range of A, thousand/s of times greater and mA, and all the chargers are still fine)
    Cool! So I'm good with just my Playbook charger and adapter. Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    02-06-15 09:02 PM
    All BlackBerry chargers are dual voltage.

Posted via Passport.
    02-06-15 09:08 PM
    Does anybody know if the Passport is dual voltage or not? I tried searching the site but I couldn't find anything about the Passports voltage.

I'll be in london next week and I need to know if I need a converter or not. Would I be able to charge the phone with just a adapter??

Posted via CB10
    Use any branded phone charger that fits your passport. All who say it will fry are BS. Am saying so coz here in my city in india we get voltage as low as 80volt during peak summer and 250volts during winters. Been using all different types of charger in all my devices and gadgets and they all work perfectly

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Black Edition
    02-06-15 09:10 PM
    And please keep ma in mind. 300ma will damage your battery. Higher amps are fine as phone only takes what it needs. The standard battery is 3500mah. Trust me, it needs min 1.5A

Posted via Passport.
    02-06-15 09:11 PM
    Use any branded phone charger that fits your passport. All who say it will fry are BS. Am saying so coz here in my city in india we get voltage as low as 80volt during peak summer and 250volts during winters. Been using all different types of charger in all my devices and gadgets and they all work perfectly

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Black Edition
    I used to sell electronics for a living so I have seen people fry their devices. I also have friends who are electricians who have told me the same thing. Therefore, I find your advice to the OP claiming that this 'can't happen' and 'don't worry about it' to be false, misleading and potentially harmful.

Granted, nowadays a lot of chargers are dual voltage with a stated range of 110 - 240 volts. So yes, these chargers will work in any region with the right adapter. However, if I were to try to charge or use a device from North America that was only single voltage (120 volts for NA) in the UK/India (230 volts) with just a plug adapter and no converter, it would cause damage.

Just because you have never encountered issues doesn't mean you should generalize that it can't happen to others or can't happen at all. The safe bet is to make sure the charger is dual voltage as I mentioned in my earlier post rather than assuming that it is. Why take any risks when a simple inspection of the charger will tell you all you need to know?
    Last edited by ryeguyyyc; 02-07-15 at 06:31 AM.
    02-07-15 05:54 AM
    Thank you for your detailed response! I really appreciate it!

Posted via CB10
    No worries. I sold electronics for quite a few years so I am used to, and enjoy, explaining things. Plus, I'm from Canada, but have been to Hong Kong lots which is similar to the UK so I have a lot of experience with this issue.

Enjoy your trip to London. I haven't been there since 2007 but I loved it and hope to get back soon. Cheers.
    FMB8900 likes this.
    02-07-15 06:06 AM
    If you can find one, the PlayBook charger with the orange USB end came with adapters for the various sockets and voltages around the world. It was also sold as a premium travel charger for the phones.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 12:14 PM
    It's a global phone. You'll need an adapter for London or whatever other countries you visit.

I've used mine in London and elsewhere with no problem. In fact, just about all smartphones can be plugged in anywhere in the world?

Posted via CB10
    02-07-15 02:36 PM