Just thought I would share my experience of finally getting my hands on a Passport at (what I think) is a good price.

I was happy with my Z10 but like many others intrigued by the Passport and the promise of returning to a physical keyboard. Obviously, the high price and lack of inventory of the Passport meant that not many people were offering good deals. I was out of contract so could have bought one outright but most places were 500+ at the time which seems rather excessive.

I eventually found mobilephonesdirect.co.uk seemed to offer the best contract deals. I don't like 24 month contracts. Personally, I think that is too long to expect a device to survive but there aren't many carriers that still offer 12 month contracts, probably due to the high cost. MPD have the Passport on a 12 month contract with Vodafone including unlimited calls and texts with 4Gb of 4G data for 53.50 per month and a phone cost of 11. However I did the maths this seemed like a good deal. If I got a phone off contract I would be paying around 500 for it and I would need to pay around 20 per month for that kind of call and data plan.

I visited a Vodafone shop to see if they could match the deal from MPD and they could but with a 250 upfront cost as opposed to the 11 which MPD wanted.

I have heard a couple of bad stories about MPD's customer service. Obviously, you want to use a company that can sort out problems when they occur. As they were so much cheaper than anywhere else, I decided I would give them a try and if it went bad the I would have to live with sorting it out myself. The only problem I had was that it took three days for delivery rather than the next day which they stated on their website. It was never clear to me what the delay was for but they blamed Vodafone.

So if anyone is looking for a Passport on Contact with Vodafone in the UK, my experience of mobilephonesdirect.co.uk has been a good one and certainly an unbeatable price.

Here is a link to their contract deals for the Passport;Best Blackberry Passport Pay Monthly Contract & SIM Free Deals | Mobile Phones Direct

Please note I have no affiliation with the company other than I bought a phone from them.
    11-12-14 04:00 AM
    well, it's good for you...

I need a contract on Three with passport.
    Three UK is not going to stock it (IDIOTS!) and in this case, I'm kinda stuck...

unless, I'll buy it from same MPD a sim free for 469 GBP with full upfront payment... but still - it is big amount of money... then it hits me: I can use 12 month interest free credit card. Pay it off in 12 months. sounds like an option to me..

here, you've been a good boy. here's your present. you know - for Christmas...

or - black Friday is coming, maybe?
    11-12-14 04:10 AM
    If you are stuck on Three then I guess you don't have much of an option.

Real shame they won't be stocking the passport. I think BB are being very much more safe with the inventory this time so I don't know what the chances of getting any really good deals on outright purchase are.

Good luck getting a Passport though, I have certainly been impressed with mine. The only thing I miss is that I can't operate it one handed like I could the Z10.
    11-12-14 04:28 AM
    Glad that you got your passport in the end, but I have to say on the day vodafone had the passport I was able to stop my contract get the passport on a good plan all in the space of an hour on the phone and my passport was delivered the next day ! I can't fault Vodafone at all for that service and it it only costing me 1 pound more !
    11-12-14 05:16 AM
    I am on Three by choice not stuck as Tim says on the old one plan with all you can eat data and data tethering, calls and texts, rarely have I encountered network issues and the 4g seems quicker than other networks but yes the only pain was the lack of passport and having to source another way. Cutting my SIM seems to have worked fine.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:53 AM
    I am not giving up my All you can eat data for 15 per month on Three either. But having said that, I bought my Passport outright from MPD and had a good result barring the stock delays. I might play them both off when my wife's contract comes up...

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 12:17 PM