Hey all,

I have been a longtime BlackBerry user and switched to Apple when our company switched phones...Well happily, we now have the choice to use our own phones and be reimbursed for our monthly service, so I did it...I went and bought an unlocked passport....Any passport guru's out there give me any advice/tips/pointers after being an IOS user for years on how to get the maximum out of this device?

Thank you in advance for your help/suggestions.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    02-05-15 05:15 PM
    Install Snap, or google play from cobalt(theres a thread here on CB somewhere), to avoid the whole app gap problem.

Secondly, give it a good week or 2 to get used to the keyboard. Its unlike any keyboard you've used before and takes a while to get the muscle memory going.
    dispatcher0531 likes this.
    02-05-15 05:24 PM
    Thank you...I had started in the help section in this thread and found some great tips already as well as some you tube videos.
    02-05-15 05:26 PM
    I was never an iOS user but here's a Passport virgin tip: give yourself time to get used to the keyboard. It'll feel awkward enough at first to make you doubt your decision to buy it. But you'll soon grow into it. And learn to use keyboard shortcuts, like long press Q to toggle silent mode from the home screen.

It's the little things that make the experience unique.
    02-05-15 05:28 PM
    Hey all,

I have been a longtime BlackBerry user and switched to Apple when our company switched phones...Well happily, we now have the choice to use our own phones and be reimbursed for our monthly service, so I did it...I went and bought an unlocked passport....Any passport guru's out there give me any advice/tips/pointers after being an IOS user for years on how to get the maximum out of this device?

The BlackBerry of new has been greatly appreciated for its hub and the virtual keyboard. Get used to the hub, get used to the keyboard, get apps from BlackBerry World that will be productive to you. If those apps are not available to you, install SNAP and get the Android equivalents. You will need to sideload SNAP before you go about downloading android apps. There is a ton of information out here in CB for almost anything related to the passport and they will help you get started on your new phone.

Welcome back to BlackBerry... have fun... Chers

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 05:31 PM
    Hey all,

Congrats on your new Passport! You're gonna love it!

Learn the keyboard shortcuts and you'll be amazed how you can be productive by not touching and smudgeing the screen at all (or at a minimum)! It's posted under the STICKIES SECTION of BlackBerry Passport forum.

Also, if battery consumption is very important to you, minimize download of Android apps to what you only needed. If you can find one in BlackBerry World, then use that one. I noticed before that I wasn't getting the same battery love as others have, like lasting for about 24-48 hrs. Until I spotted that Android culprit killing my battery life, now I'm happy!

Posted via CB10
    02-05-15 06:03 PM
    Passport is simply the best, most innovative device I've owned. I have owned / used every BlackBerry 10 device except a Z3 and the Passport is easily the best of the best. It didn't take me long at all to get used to this device and learning to use it was fun for me. Really enjoy it and would easily recommend it to anybody.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 05:35 AM
    You can also set a lot of Android Apps to not run in the background to help battery life.

Settings > Application Manager > Device Monitor > Select Desired Application > Change App Permissions

T-Mobile  SQW100-1 Passport running Non-Destructive Upgrade to 10.3.1.2243.
    02-08-15 08:16 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=974137

Spend your times reading those hidden features of passport. It can help you do the transition.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 10:34 AM
    02-08-15 10:48 AM
    Hey all,

Similar to the you I was a Blackberry user until, in 2010, I switched to Android. When the Passport was announced I knew that I would be returning to the fold. So here is my tip to you, what I did was get back on CB and start subscribing to any topic/thread that I thought would be of any help in the future when I finally would be able to purchase the phone. When that time arrived I already had a smattering but workable knowledge of Passport workings and the tips and Patcher/Google Play techniques shared by the great and helpful members of this forum.
    So start subscribing and reading everything you can. CB is an invaluable resource.
    Welcome back to BlackBerry.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport using Tapatalk
    02-08-15 11:02 AM
    1) you can download the device switch app onto both phones and copy over a lot of your settings (like contacts) pretty painlessly. That's worth doing if you have a lot to set up.

2) If you used iMessage on your iPhone, you may have trouble getting text messages from other iPhone users. make sure you have that turned off on your iPhone (and it can take a couple of days for those setting to fully take effect). By the way, that's not a blackberry problem, that's a problem with how apple does its MMS/messaging integration.

3) Unlike others here, I never bothered side loading SNAP. I find that the preinstalled Amazon Store (which offers many android apps and of course a "free app of the day") closes the app gap for me. So it may not be necessary for you unless you just want to do it. But if you want the most complete access to android apps it's definitely the way to go.

4) Press the center button between the volume up-down rockers to activate blackberry assistant. Then ask it, "show me what you can do." You'll get a list of commands and features. The blackberry assistant is surprisingly robust. Some people complain that it's slow, but really i've found it very robust. It does tend to keep listening after you ask a question to make sure that you're not finished talking, if you're done you can just tap the screen to let it know to begin the search. I use it a lot and I find it works as well as or better than siri for most tasks. Also note that the blackberry assistant lets you type in requests, when you do it will respond silently with text answers. That's useful if you're in a meeting or something and need to look something up or schedule a calendar event discreetly.

5) swipe down from the top of the home screen with one finger (or two fingers if you're within an app) to activate the quick setting toggles. From the quick setting menu you can adjust which features show up there and adjust the order in which they are presented)

6) Be sure to enable/set up blackberry protect. It's like the "find my iPhone" feature on apple. It can be a lifesaver!

7) Install Blackberry Blend on your PC/Mac. it's awesomely useful.
    nyallj likes this.
    02-08-15 11:16 AM
    I would agree with all the comments. In addition take the time to watch the video tutorials and use the help app to get used to all the goodies. All this available on your phone help icon and tutorial icon.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-15 11:17 AM