05-09-15 10:45 PM
96 1234
tools
    Surface Pro 3.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-03-15 02:13 PM
    I'm using the iPad Air 2. My preference in size and OS is an 8" Android. The 8" will fit in my side pocket and the Android OS is more flexible than iOS. I'm going to try the 2nd generation Nvidia Sheild which should release with the Tegra X1 processor.
    05-03-15 02:37 PM
    Wrong. The old Surface ran Windows RT which indeed was a crippled version of windows based on ARM processor running apps only.

Microsoft ditched that project. The new Surface 3 available tomorrow, I believe, is an x86 tablet running full Windows and powered by the new Intel Atom processor. It's not based on the app model but a full computer.

Posted via CB10
    Plenty of blue-screen action to come! An iPad or Macbook Air eats any PC or Surface for breakfast.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 02:41 PM
    Plenty of blue-screen action to come! An iPad or Macbook Air eats any PC or Surface for breakfast.

Posted via CB10
    I've had zero blue-screens on any Windows platform for a good few years.

Far better stability than from my BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 02:58 PM
    I used a Playbook for a long time. But it is getting old and I decided to check out the new 8" tablets. I had a 10" iPad for a while but I don't want 10" or bigger because I want to use it also while commuting and when on vacation. I mainly want to use a light tablet for watching movies, TV and videos on a screen bigger than on a smartphone, surfing the web, reading e-books, news, email or playing some games. I want a very good battery life.

I realized that I need MicroSD to hold my video files (MKVs or ISOs) since I want to use it also when there is no net available. For the same reason I want USB OTG capability to connect my USB sticks to it. Also I want to copy files to and from my tablet at any time of my choosing.

While I don't care about using Office apps on the tablet. I still have a laptop and desktop PCs at home and in my office. Right now a Surface couldn't replace any one of these for me.

Since I found no 8" Windows tablet I liked and iPads are too restricted for me I looked into Android tablets. Mainly Samsung, Lenovo, Dell, Acer and Sony because I want good software support.

I got a Samung Tab S 8.4 first which had a great 2560x1600 screen but it lagged for me which I didn't like. So I returned it.

In the end I settled for a Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact (LTE) because it fitted all my above requirements and because of the good reviews it got. It is really great. Actually I totally love it now. It is light, slim and fast. It has "only" a Full HD display but I think it is more than good enough for 8" displays and also it has no lagging whatsoever. The videos I watch are only Full HD anyway.

The battery life is very good as well. It also fits into my jacket pocket and it is waterproof. I even use it while in the bathtub.

Sonys Android is not much different from the standard Android. There is a Android 5.0 upgrade since some weeks available but I haven't tried it yet since 4.4 runs so smooth for me. I have also installed BB Blend on it.

I just wish it would run BB10. I cannot understand why BB left the tablet business. I would really love a X3TC like tablet running BB10. It is not exactly the cheapest either. I believe BB could make a profit from making tablets.
    05-03-15 03:31 PM
    Having my passport, I stopped using my tablet which was a nexus 7. So I mainly rock a surface pro 3 as my laptop/tablet and the PP
    05-03-15 04:57 PM
    I think 7" is a good size for portability, utility, and fatigue avoidance. 9" or 10" is great for around the house, but holding it for too long is significantly more tiring than a 7" because the center of gravity is offset which makes holding it more tiring than it just being heavier.

nexus 7: great but no SD card, limited availability (discontinued), and android just... annoys me, and I don't really know why or care to figure it out. Maybe it's because with Android, you get out of it what you put into it: if you're willing to give your heart, soul, kidneys, and identity over to the Great Omnipotent Observer Granting Loyalists Everything, that may work for you.

Dell venue 8: great and will be greater with Windows 10 I think! can be had in refurb for under 200 and runs full windows, has Micro SD card support and best of all supports every media codec you can imagine, which can't be said for other tablets... But kind of not quite there in terms of usability (especially if you have dreams of running full Windows software without a mouse on a tiny touchscreen)

My current tablet 'daily driver' is a 128 gig iPad Mini 2: great screen, fun time-wasting games, iOS is a joy to use in the context of being my third most used device (after PC and BB Z30): I make few demands of it, it makes few demands of me, we get along fine, it's dumb but pretty: exactly perfect for a casual use tablet. BB Blend on iOS is good so I can keep tabs (punny!) on my Precious while I kill time on my transit commute.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 05-03-15 at 08:13 PM.
    05-03-15 05:24 PM
    With a Passport I don't think you really need a tablet IMO

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 05:26 PM
    Same to me: with a Passport you don't need a tablet.
    For working I use my macbook air 11"

Posted via CB10
    giadoanable likes this.
    05-03-15 06:45 PM
    Does it have an SD slot? That your extra memory!!

I wanted to get a smaller sized tablet myself and I settled on the Samsung Tab S 8.4. I haven't had the chance to use it much but it was on for a good price and so far it seems to be pretty solid. Spec-wise it's pretty loaded, great screen, 3gb ram, lightweight, etc. Only downfall of it that I can think of, and this is all based on personal usage/opinion, is only 16gb storage, which isn't an issue for me since I just added a 64gb card for ebooks, TV shows, movies and music, and some people don't like the Samsung Touch Wiz interface, but I don't think it's horrible. After doing research over a few days it seems to be the best bang for buck tablet, especially when it goes on sale.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 10:26 PM

Posted via CB10
    If I'm life-flighted to a hospital and he walks into the OR, I'll pass. Hope his knowledge in medicine doesn't rival his knowledge in tech.
    05-04-15 01:40 AM
    A really cheap one so long as it has an sd card slot. Just use it for backups.
    Passport is like a small tablet anyway.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 04:49 AM
    In terms of value vs cost, I'd go with NVIDIA Shield Tablet. I think it has one of the best stylus and handwriting recognition, perhaps due to its GPU. Yes, it's also a great gaming tablet and works well with BlackBerry Blend.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:38 AM
    My inclination is to stay with a 7" format. I need to have a checkpoint app to access VPN.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 08:41 AM
    Get something light that will run things well with good battery life.

If iPad, iPad 2 or iPad Air. If Android, Galaxy Tab S or Xperia Tablet Z2 or Z3 Compact. If Windows, Surface 3 or Surface Pro 3.

Don't go for too small a screen.

Posted with my Passport via CB10
    05-04-15 04:35 PM
    Hey original poster...
    Does your original question have to do with using your tablet with your Passport?
    Can you even backup a Passport on a tablet?
    or just whatever kind of tablet you like?
    05-04-15 09:29 PM
    My combo is 64GB Playbook & my Passport.

Posted via CB10 from my "phdesktop", the BlackBerry Passport
    05-04-15 09:37 PM
    No tablet for me either. Passport suits me fine. Portable and fast! Also get to use as a phone! Great feature! Best feature of all. I do use a 30" monitor on my computer, and I have a 60" TV plugged into a computer in the basement. Love the 60" for movies. Can be fun using Blend on the 60" as well. IMO Tablets are over rated. Different strokes for different folks. Cheers.
    Avenzuno and John Doe99 like this.
    05-04-15 09:58 PM
    Same to me: with a Passport you don't need a tablet.
    For working I use my macbook air 11"

Posted via CB10
    Me too. Since I'm a writer so I mostly use my Passport on the go like writing, texting, social-networking, etc. And Macbook air for caf or home working time.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    05-05-15 04:04 AM
    No tab required!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 04:06 AM
    Don't get me wrong. My passport has largely replaced home use of my computer, although is still use it for editing documents, or cutting and pasting into documents from various websites.

What I want is something portable (a small tablet) that is in a larger format for occasional remotely doing these tasks, as well as accessing through checkpoint VPN, watching Netflix, or reading a couple of magazine subscriptions that include video and photo content. I don't own any Apple products nor am I interested in their eco-system.

I could update my Kindle Fire HDX or go to something else Android.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 09:52 AM
    The GALAXY TAB S 10.5 LTE model and it's awesome and I'm typing on my device now and this is what I recommend from personal use.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-05-15 11:11 AM
    I still don't understand why BlackBerry provide desktop software for android and not BlackBerry 10.
    If I could run blend and link on passport and classic I'd buy a classic as well
    And back each up to each other.
    I would then not be discussing which tablet nonsense!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:07 PM
    I still don't understand why BlackBerry provide desktop software for android and not BlackBerry 10.
    If I could run blend and link on passport and classic I'd buy a classic as well
    And back each up to each other.
    I would then not be discussing which tablet nonsense!

Posted via CB10
    You can run blend with bb10, you only need 10.3 both installed by default in passport and classic. Sorry I didn't understand your sentence.
    ---------
    I have a 16 GB playbook since 2011 and Passport since November. I definitely need a tablet, I use the app silent keys but the tablet means more than silent keys at night.

A tablet is for browsing and multimedia if you want productivity you should use a Laptop or Desktop. I prefer Debian.

I would recommend a 10" tablet, I was thinking to buy a Galaxy Tab 4 with 10", the Pro and S are too expensive.

Many recommended the Surface, that is rubbish, it is heavy and cost to much, if you are in need of Windows or Office buy a laptop. We BlackBerry users like keyboards anyway right?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:43 PM
    A tablet is for browsing and multimedia if you want productivity you should use a Laptop or Desktop. I prefer Debian.

I would recommend a 10" tablet, I was thinking to buy a Galaxy Tab 4 with 10", the Pro and S are too expensive.

Many recommended the Surface, that is rubbish, it is heavy and cost to much, if you are in need of Windows or Office buy a laptop. We BlackBerry users like keyboards anyway right?
    Just as a truck is only for hauling stuff, a sports car only for racing, and BlackBerry only for businessmen. To call hybrids like Surface or the Toshiba Protege Z10t (what I own) or other tablets as rubbish is narrow minded. In school, I am a million times more productive in class with the medical anatomy lecture notes PowerPoint imported into OneNote with audio recording and syncing up to specific moments when I circle or color in a specific glandular region or capillary bed. Everyone else with their laptops are clicking away like woodpeckers rewriting everything the teacher says, not even looking up, and surely not absorbing ****. Productive? Hardly.

It completely depends on use case. There are some fantastic hybrids out there with more productivity and options built in than a regular laptop could ever provide. Again, use case.

What I want is something portable (a small tablet) that is in a larger format for occasional remotely doing these tasks, as well as accessing through checkpoint VPN, watching Netflix, or reading a couple of magazine subscriptions that include video and photo content. I don't own any Apple products nor am I interested in their eco-system.

I could update my Kindle Fire HDX or go to something else Android.
    Thank you, this post was needed. Everyone was guessing all along about what might work for you. Few follow up questions for you:

• Do you want 7-8" or 10-11"?
    • Does dual booting both Windows and Android interest you?
    • Do you want full computing power (would this potentially replace a laptop)?
    • Do you want an active stylus?
    Last edited by Poi25; 05-05-15 at 03:08 PM.
    05-05-15 02:07 PM
96 1234