So I stopped by my local att to see the new phone, as I am considering it for down the road... first nice surprise, not only did they have the phone and also a classic, they were displayed prominently right up front with a big display. Nice to see BlackBerry front and center again.

Back to the Priv... I've never used android before:

Positives: nice looking device, good size, display looked great. Moving around the device seems easy enough. Browser seemed quicker and "snappier" than on my passport

Negatives (in my opinion) : keyboard.... awfully small... keys seemed squished together. Honestly, it looked more like a "Typo" keyboard, not a BlackBerry keyboard. I'm not basing this off the passport, but compared to even my q10 or even my old Bold. Having the Classic there with a "real keyboard " didn't help.

Didn't really care for the new hub layout, I assume with familiarity I would like it more. I also really missed the gesture controls of b?b10 to move around the device. Last thing and I this is probably more due to not knowing the Android system, but whenever I wanted to move into some sort of writing function whether it be an email or something more productivity related like a document it seemed like there were always extra steps to get started.

I only spent about 10-15 minutes with the Priv which is obviously not enough time, but my overall impression was "ehh", not the "wow" I was hoping for, not like it was the first time I used a Passport. In the end... I'm hoping BlackBerry doesn't completely abandon OS10 and keeps providing some support because I'm really liking the way the silver edition looks...

on the road with my BlackBerry
    BerryRipe likes this.
    11-11-15 11:59 PM
    I stopped by AT&T a few days ago..
    I am very familiar with Android and have owned previously and I still carry an Android phone with me, but to me Passport is a lot more superior.
    I have a Nexus phone running Marshmallow but it is nothing compared to BB10 OS.

I liked the device and to me the physical keys were smaller but nothing that I can't get used to.
    My problem is the OS and I hope BlackBerry would do a dual OS. Let the user decide what OS they want to use.
    David Tyler and Barbareren like this.
    11-12-15 02:50 AM
    I stopped by AT&T a few days ago..
    I am very familiar with Android and have owned previously and I still carry an Android phone with me, but to me Passport is a lot more superior.
    I have a Nexus phone running Marshmallow but it is nothing compared to BB10 OS.

I liked the device and to me the physical keys were smaller but nothing that I can't get used to.
    My problem is the OS and I hope BlackBerry would do a dual OS. Let the user decide what OS they want to use.
    I feel the same. I'm not unfamiliar with Android, and having all the apps is an amazing advantage, however, I like the flow of BB10. It's not something I'm going to give up on without a fight. I just hate navigating Android.

Having said that, if I were to switch to Android, I don't think I'd buy the Priv. Leaning towards a Sony as I like the design of the Xperias. And after having this beautiful big Passport keyboard, I don't think I want to deal with a smaller PKB.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 06:42 AM
    Torch 9810 and 9800 both had smaller keyboards and were slider phones. I own the 9810. Despite this I was still able to type very fast. It's learning how to type: with my large fingers I ended up using the inside edge near my thumbnails as opposed to my ends of fingers on my passport

I loved the 9810. I stayed with it until the end (ran into a internal memory error and Tmobile dropped BIS/BES support).

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 11:53 AM
    Torch 9810 and 9800 both had smaller keyboards and were slider phones. I own the 9810. Despite this I was still able to type very fast. It's learning how to type: with my large fingers I ended up using the inside edge near my thumbnails as opposed to my ends of fingers on my passport

I loved the 9810. I stayed with it until the end (ran into a internal memory error and Tmobile dropped BIS/BES support).

Posted via CB10
    So my 9810's pkb is smaller than the Priv? I understand the Priv is smaller than my Q10 but just wanted to be sure I didn't misunderstand your comment. Thanks for sharing.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 12:44 PM
    So my 9810's pkb is smaller than the Priv? I understand the Priv is smaller than my Q10 but just wanted to be sure I didn't misunderstand your comment. Thanks for sharing.

Posted via CB10
    I have a 9810 I still use and can type very fast on it. And accurately with no error correction or prediction.

I spent 20 minutes with the Priv at AT&T and the keys are so close together. Basically they phone can figure out what you're trying to type but that ends up turning it into another virtual keyboard.

People were complaining that the Torch keyboard wasn't roomy enough. But I adapted and could type as fast as the far superior Bold 9900.

The Priv physical keyboard is just useless for touch typing. I'm talking about turning off all the auto correct and just placing your two thumbs on the keyboard and being able to type quickly and accurately.

The keys are so close together that you'd have to slow down and spend so much time trying to hit the letter you wanted. That's the one thing I wanted more than anything was a comfortable keyboard.

To the people wishing they made the Priv in BB10. You don't want that. Not without a redesign of the phone to include a real BlackBerry keyboard on it.

It's a nice phone even if you never slid out the keyboard but it's not 700 dollars worth of nice. It's a shame that BlackBerry did this. The one thing they should have done to attract nostalgic Android users back was to give them the roomy BlackBerry keyboard they are longing for.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    11-12-15 01:22 PM

It's a nice phone even if you never slid out the keyboard but it's not 700 dollars worth of nice. It's a shame that BlackBerry did this. The one thing they should have done to attract nostalgic Android users back was to give them the roomy BlackBerry keyboard they are longing for.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2789 / T-Mobile USA
    Agreed... that was really my biggest letdown. Any new (to me) OS is going to have a learning curve, so I'm certainly not knocking Android... but my initial reaction is I prefer the feel and layout of BB10. That said, the phone is gorgeous...

11-12-15 03:08 PM
    Agreed... that was really my biggest letdown. Any new (to me) OS is going to have a learning curve, so I'm certainly not knocking Android... but my initial reaction is I prefer the feel and layout of BB10. That said, the phone is gorgeous...

I totally agree with you.

The Priv is beautiful in every way. Like the original black Passport, it gives off a Batman vibe, like it's something he would carry in his toolbelt or something.

But then you start using it and it's just Android, with a bit of BlackBerry sugarcoating to make it easier to swallow.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 03:23 PM
    I did too for the hell of it. The store has two entrances, its funny the phones were all moved around from a week ago. Both Classic and Priv were in a great location. I got in and started loking at the phone, the big stupid moron next to me started spitting out negative and disparaging comments about Blackberry. I asked him if he tells everyone the same thing that looks at the phone , he lies and says he likes the phone. I dismissed him. When I was done I googled ATT REPS SUCK. I personally fire these kinds of reps that like to speak out negative things like this to someone who just walks up to a $750 product.

Its a nice phone but not for me.
    11-12-15 06:24 PM
    Funny... the rep who "helped" me simply pointed in the direction of the phones and then never came back to assist me, at all. Didn't even say goodbye when I left...

In regards to the display, again was great to see BlackBerry up front for once.. but I did wonder why no Passports on display...seems like would be a great opportunity for BlackBerry to bring awareness to their family of phones. The Priv brings you in, and you play with the others while there

Jane23 likes this.
    11-12-15 06:29 PM
    I had an extremely different experience at my local AT&T. All the reps were fired up about the device compared to all my previous carrier visits. Upon leaving the rep opened the door for me and that's after I told them I'm a Verizon user. I admit it all felt very strange. That's actually sad when good customer service feels unfamiliar.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 06:40 PM
    Not sure what you are talking about there is no way a Torch keyboard is bigger than a Priv keyboard.the width of the torch is small than the width of the Priv keyboard.
    11-12-15 08:10 PM