Anyone else have trouble with their passport USB port not charging or connecting well anymore without jiggling until it connects / charges and hoping it doesn't slip?

It's getting annoying so wondering if this is fixable somehow.

Posted via CB10
    peregrineay likes this.
    12-28-15 05:10 PM
    Try new power cord to start.
    12-28-15 07:16 PM
    Good idea but no cigar.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-15 10:45 AM
    I've got the same problem

Posted via CB10
    12-29-15 07:17 PM
    Just got the same problem, charged it with no problem this afternoon but right know it doesn't charge.

Tried 3 USB OEM cables, tried charging other cell phone and the three of them worked without a problem but they won't charge the Passport...

I'm really worried about this.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-15 11:46 PM
    Your micro-usb is most likely loose. You can try taking a non-conductive item that is thin enough to clear any particles (lint, sand, dust) in the port. Otherwise the port needs to be changed. I have two blackberries I need to fix because of this issue. My carrier refused to ship for repairs and blackberry just sends me back to my carrier, yet I still support the brand.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 01:12 AM
    Already done that.

Weird thing is is that if I turn the Passport off and plug it in, it begins to charge (I have to wiggle the cable a little bit) and if I turn it on whilst plugged in, it keeps charging the device.

I'll do a security wipe and reload the software today just to discard that...
    12-30-15 06:45 AM
    Just loaded on the device and there is no way to charge it unless I turn the device off, connect the charger and then turn it on.

Anybody else with some recommendations??
    12-30-15 04:41 PM
    Ironically, I just had the same problem occur with my passport (att). Like was mentioned above, I think it's a defective port or possibly software related. Mine also won't charge unless I plug it in and restart while leaving it connected to charger. Won't connect to laptop at all, restart or not. Also did security wipe.

What's strange is, regardless if it's connected to the cord or not, it been showing as 'connected ' under networks and connections setting menu (as in.... the phone thinks it's constantly connected to usb and is not registering the cord being ' pulled out').

Very odd...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 08:54 PM
    Very odd indeed.

I don't want to take it to a tec becuase everything tells me its software related, otherwise it would not charge when it's turned off right?
    12-31-15 01:01 PM
    Just to update the thread...

Still having problems with my charging port, the only way to update the Passport is restartint it (holding de +/- volume keys) and running the autoloader, otherwise the PC doesnt recognize the phone. Inspecting the device later i could see that it says "USB Connected" even though the device is not connected. Heres a screenshot of it, the device not connected to anything.

Passport USB port not connecting or charging-img_20160104_100253.jpg
    01-04-16 08:43 AM
    Purchased my PP SE back in August. No issues until a few weeks ago when I started to get "Cable Detection" errors when plugging in for charging. Eventually got to the point that I could charge at all. After troubleshooting with Blackberry support they offered to do an advance exchange on a warranty repair of the micro-usb port (1 year limited warranty). Getting the RMA was a bit of a process, but I credit the technicians with following through on their obligations. I'm suppose to receive a new (probably refurbished) device this week.

So it has been 5 months since I have been using my Q10. I don't dislike the PP SE, but if the Q10 had the horsepower and battery life (or the option to upgrade), I would have never switched.

01-16-16 09:47 PM

Just received the device back from a tech and he told me that it was sulfate in the charging port and some contacts were loose. He cleaned the device completely and re soldered to contacts and the Passport is now charging correctly and the PC also connects perfectly now.

Weird thing is my Passport doesnt even come close to a glass of water...
    01-22-16 11:42 AM
    My Passport quit charging at about 1 tear of ownership.

To charge it, I have to turn it off and hold the off button until the red light comes on and then let it reboot.

Recently, even that was not a guarantee that it would charge. With the passport face up, I had to tip the cable down to have the lightning bolt show up.

Today, after a half dozen failed attempts to get it to charge, I put my 2 year old Passport's USB port under a dissecting microscope. As a comparison, I also looked at the same type of USB port on my 8 year old unlocked Samsung (which is now my FLAC music player) The USB port on the Samsung showed two rail bars for each row of contacts. The two outer front contact bars were burnt down on an incline from mid to front. The back and middle bars were all OK. On the Passport, it was an entirely different story. The contacts were completely disfigured and jagged, not on just the two outer contacts but on all four rows of contacts.

After that comparison, It seems to me that there is an issue with Blackberry quality control on their Passport's USB port and that may 'splain why so many folks complain about not being able to have the phone take a charge.

I doubt that Blackberry will do a recall, so is there any one in Waterloo that can fix the USB port and for roughly how much?

PS, I meant to write 1 year in the first line, but upon review, I saw that I had subliminally written 1 tear. That certainly does describe it much better.
    04-18-17 10:49 AM
    My kid stuck a microHDMI into my charge port. I was able to finagle the charger in a certain way to charge for a while, but eventually the port no longer charged. I took it to three different shops to see if they could replace it, the first had no idea how to take it apart, the second two said the charge port is a proprietary 13-pin connector that is no longer available anywhere. I'm holding out hope, but scouring the internet so far has produced no results as the connector is no longer produced. They say best bet is to get a cheap/used/broken one in hopes that the working charge port can be transferred over.
    05-23-17 08:24 PM
    ATT model owners: remember it has wireless charging
    05-24-17 01:01 AM
    Just to update the thread...

Still having problems with my charging port, the only way to update the Passport is restartint it (holding de +/- volume keys) and running the autoloader, otherwise the PC doesn�t recognize the phone. Inspecting the device later i could see that it says "USB Connected" even though the device is not connected. Here�s a screenshot of it, the device not connected to anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160104_100253.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	386569
    I have no problems with the charging of my BB PP. But the USB connection does not work, I tried different cables, I tried different computers (and operating systems). After doing a security wipe the phone is dead (error 00015). But the situation is the same, that I had the passport showing its connected, but in fact it was not.

How did you solve the problem?

Best regards

02-01-18 06:58 AM