If I downloaded everything I wanted from BBW and then simply logged out, would that ensure a working unit not dependent on BB servers?

Posted via CB10
    choveloqe likes this.
    12-19-20 10:29 PM
    If I downloaded everything I wanted from BBW and then simply logged out, would that ensure a working unit not dependent on BB servers?

Posted via CB10
    The only way to make you independent of those BB servers is to disable BB Protect and then wipe the device and when setting it up again, not to enter any BBID and just using the phone with whatever pre installed apps are there as well as whatever apk's you can get from the Yalp Store.
    WES51 likes this.
    12-19-20 10:35 PM
    BBprotect has already been turned off. So if I log out and just use the phone AS a phone (novel concept I know) a email and text, would I be using BB servers?

Posted via CB10
    12-19-20 10:51 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you're located in USA, for BB10, there's no post 2022 anything.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-20 10:53 PM
    There is no independence....

It's very possible phones will work without those servers being there (we don't really know). But once they are gone, that's the end of reloading the OS. Can't get though the setup process without the activation servers. So if you wipe your phone or have the general boot error and need to use an autoloader, it will be all over.

And as Chuck said, the 3G shutdown is going to be more of an issue for most than BlackBerry's own server shutdowns.
    12-21-20 08:45 AM
    There is no independence....

It's very possible phones will work without those servers being there (we don't really know). But once they are gone, that's the end of reloading the OS. Can't get though the setup process without the activation servers. So if you wipe your phone or have the general boot error and need to use an autoloader, it will be all over.

And as Chuck said, the 3G shutdown is going to be more of an issue for most than BlackBerry's own server shutdowns.
    In the US, 3G shutdown would be the bigger issue than BB10 server shutdown.

Elsewhere though, where 3G will stay for a bit longer, then BB10 server shutdown will be the main problem there.

Problem is, I don't think all BB10 users will remember or even know to go ahead and disable BB Protect, then wipe, and set up without a BBID before that deadline, so I expect a lot of phones to turn into bricks when the time comes.

Those who do go through this though, would essentially be left with quirky, 7-8 year old Android 4.3 phones, who knows how many apk's will work by then and the condition of those aging batteries.
    12-21-20 08:49 AM
    BBprotect has already been turned off. So if I log out and just use the phone AS a phone (novel concept I know) a email and text, would I be using BB servers?

Posted via CB10
    Also as @conite has mentioned earlier - the only way to 'log out' of the Blackberry ID is a full wipe/autoload, and then setting up without logging in to blackberry.

Ive prepped all our BB10 os devices this way.

Definitely download and use YALP store - works great on the Passport.

Don't know what's happening beyond 2022 - looks like we got other issues to deal with prior to that.
    12-21-20 08:53 AM
    Also as @conite has mentioned earlier - the only way to 'log out' of the Blackberry ID is a full wipe/autoload, and then setting up without logging in to blackberry.

Ive prepped all our BB10 os devices this way.

Definitely download and use YALP store - works great on the Passport.

Don't know what's happening beyond 2022 - looks like we got other issues to deal with prior to that.
    Yep that's the correct way to do so as not to be affected (mostly) when servers shut down. Since you already did it, you don't even have to think about any of this anymore. Just download any and all apk's you want from Yalp Store, and use whichever ones work lol
    12-21-20 09:14 AM
    But as mentioned earlier, the 3G shutdown (most imminent in US) is probably more cause for concern in terms of how usable BB10 devices will be in the immediate future.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-20 01:09 PM
    But as mentioned earlier, the 3G shutdown (most imminent in US) is probably more cause for concern in terms of how usable BB10 devices will be in the immediate future.

Posted via CB10
    So I’m ahead of my time in purchasing a coffee table WiFi only collection
    12-21-20 02:32 PM
    So I’m ahead of my time in purchasing a coffee table WiFi only collection
    Yes, just don't forget to display them around the Coffee Table Book...about coffee tables!

12-21-20 02:33 PM
    Yes, just don't forget to display them around the Coffee Table Book...about coffee tables!

Plus I can put “Losing the Signal” too.....
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-21-20 02:41 PM
    Can a restore be used from application to restore previous apps but without bb id present on the device?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-21 03:19 AM
    Can a restore be used from application to restore previous apps but without bb id present on the device?

Posted via CB10
    I don’t think so as this has been crux of the issue. Once BB10 servers are shutdown, being logged under BBID offers set of solutions to problems and logged out from BBID offers the opposing problems and solutions.

Basically the nature of BlackBerry created an ecosystem that requires a reliance on BlackBerry even if not to level of BBOS, it’s not open to level of Android infrastructure for security reasons.

It’s like a panic room that locks out the bad guys then locks you in simultaneously. I don’t think BlackBerry will spend the money to undo the system nor do I think it wants to undo the security of the system
    01-09-21 04:38 AM
    I don’t think so as this has been crux of the issue. Once BB10 servers are shutdown, being logged under BBID offers set of solutions to problems and logged out from BBID offers the opposing problems and solutions.

Basically the nature of BlackBerry created an ecosystem that requires a reliance on BlackBerry even if not to level of BBOS, it’s not open to level of Android infrastructure for security reasons.

It’s like a panic room that locks out the bad guys then locks you in simultaneously. I don’t think BlackBerry will spend the money to undo the system nor do I think it wants to undo the security of the system
    Thanks Chuck. I found some other posts with info. I hope you don't mind me asking this question. So it seems offline restore can happen but it's bound to the bbid that the backup was done with so a bbid needs to be on the device. Which might be fine if one doesn't wipe their device maybe? It's not looking good though.

Anyway I've long since moved to android but I kept my passport around as collectors device - I doubt there many users in Ireland, it's nice to show it off sometimes. It is a shame know it will inevitably become unuseable or unrecoverable if something goes wrong.

Cheers and Happy belated New Year to one and all.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-21 04:52 AM
    Thanks Chuck. I found some other posts with info. I hope you don't mind me asking this question. So it seems offline restore can happen but it's bound to the bbid that the backup was done with so a bbid needs to be on the device. Which might be fine if one doesn't wipe their device maybe? It's not looking good though.

Anyway I've long since moved to android but I kept my passport around as collectors device - I doubt there many users in Ireland, it's nice to show it off sometimes. It is a shame know it will inevitably become unuseable or unrecoverable if something goes wrong.

Cheers and Happy belated New Year to one and all.

Posted via CB10
    Best to have @conite specifically address your later question.
    01-09-21 09:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    No. A BlackBerry Link backup must be signed with a BBID, and can only be restored to a device that is set up with the same BBID.

You can use a third party app like Ultimate Backup, which will back up some things - but not apps.

So, basically, the only way to load a native app is to have a copy of the bar file provided by the developer directly and then sideload it from your PC. There are a few here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0
    01-09-21 09:10 PM