KB definitely has a learning curve, but after 2-3 hours of texting and web browsing I am improving fast.

I already love the Passport and I haven't even had it a full day yet - no way I would think of returning it, they would have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-30-14 12:40 PM
    Are they using the passport on BLACKLIST??

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 12:50 PM
    3 days is exactly how long it took me to get used to the bigger keyboard. The first two days every time I hit Z key thinking I was hitting the shift/alt I was worried I had wasted my money. But, now on day 7 I think I'm as fast, maybe faster than before. Hard to say. It's close enough that having the giant screen more than makes up for any difference, and it will be things in 10.3.1 like the shortcuts assigned to buttons that will help me be more efficient in general.

And Blend... so awesome. Totally irrelevant to this comment but I just can't stop talking about how awesome it is.
    09-30-14 01:14 PM
    3 days is exactly how long it took me to get used to the bigger keyboard. The first two days every time I hit Z key thinking I was hitting the shift/alt
    lol doing that a lot still here

Hope i get used to the balance of it, I still havent found the best way to hold it yet I think.
    09-30-14 01:37 PM
    I'm glad you mentioned tapping the suggestive words rather than swiping them up. I did that once this morning. The swiping on the surface of the keyboard takes some time to master, about two day.

I read somewhere that the placement of the space bar could hang up some people. Not for me it took about two days for my brain to have my thumb reprogrammed to the new key mapping.

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    Essentially when suggesting letters are on the top row, I find it easier.
    You have the choice, and that is what's making it agile, IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:17 PM
    Passport really seems off balance.
    09-30-14 05:16 PM

My problem ? I couldn't type very well on this thing. The keys seemed stiff, key travel was awkward, spacing seemed off. Holding the phone to type is damn near impossible. The keyboard just seems too low on the device, I always felt like it was going to fall out of my hand.
    The review consensus seems to be that the keyboard does not feel like the top BlackBerry keyboards of the past. But that doesn't mean it won't work great. Just means you'll have to get used to it. And that it's impossible to judge how well it'll end up working for you from using it once or twice. Etc.

Kevin M. Said as much in his review. That he was afraid folks might not give it a chance due to the keyboard learning curve. And that that could hurt adoption. Cause early device returns etc.
    09-30-14 05:31 PM
    I can understand the key spacing and placement concern. I'm used to typing B with my left thumb. No more. But I don't really get the balance problem. My fingers naturally extend about 65% of the way up the back of the phone. Even with my thumbs not touching it, the Passport just rests there on my fingers, very stable.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-30-14 05:46 PM
    I think we need to remind ourselves that BB went 'outside the box' here. It should take minimum 5 to 10 days of regular use to get 'the hang of it'. I like what they've done. The square rather than the rectangle with round corners. Not to bring up a sensitive topic here but Samsung has had some success with their Note series. Some people 'scoffed' at first. "What's a phablet?" etc... And here they are about to launch the 4 rendition of the series.
    I hope BB do well with this. I will definitely get one as my secondary device. I usually switch between 2 any way. I am hopeful I won't miss too many apps. Cheers.
    09-30-14 06:31 PM
    The review consensus seems to be that the keyboard does not feel like the top BlackBerry keyboards of the past. But that doesn't mean it won't work great. Just means you'll have to get used to it. And that it's impossible to judge how well it'll end up working for you from using it once or twice. Etc.

Kevin M. Said as much in his review. That he was afraid folks might not give it a chance due to the keyboard learning curve. And that that could hurt adoption. Cause early device returns etc.
    Early device returns will occur because the software portion of the Passport keyboard is sometimes buggy. I'm getting the hang of it, but it's quite annoying when the virtual keyboard opens and closes autonomously.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    09-30-14 06:47 PM
    Having played with it for about 15 minutes. I love everything about it except the keyboard.

It is super fast. The screen is super sharp. The OS is super new.
    The keyboard is super squished...

As others have mentioned. There is probably a bit if a learning curve before you get used to the squished keyboard, but I'm going to have to agree with most reviewers. Why didn't they just add an extra row for the space bar. Heck, just make the whole bottom lip of the phone a space bar because it is kinda weird to have a space bar jammed in between the bottom row.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 06:48 PM
    Having played with it for about 15 minutes. I love everything about it except the keyboard.

It is super fast. The screen is super sharp. The OS is super new.
    The keyboard is super squished...

As others have mentioned. There is probably a bit if a learning curve before you get used to the squished keyboard, but I'm going to have to agree with most reviewers. Why didn't they just add an extra row for the space bar. Heck, just make the whole bottom lip of the phone a space bar because it is kinda weird to have a space bar jammed in between the bottom row.

Posted via CB10
    Yes that would be a perfect fix for the space bar!

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 06:55 PM
    Then bro - the Passport isn't for you.

You're wrong in saying the Passport's target is you, someone with 10 emails - the focus of the Passport is the screen dimensions, not the keyboard. Hence it's emphasis has been on the "work wide" hash-tag, not "type faster".

The keyboard is innovative in that it's a hybrid of physical and elements of the BlackBerry virtual keyboard that people love - it's purpose is not meant to be better than the traditional qwerty.

Don't hold your breath - you'll never "get used" to the Passport's keyboard to the level of muscle memory and precision of the traditional qwerty.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    Emails are just part of what I need. A portable computer when I'm on the road without the laptop would make my life easier. I review many documents (author) and need to update multiple spreadsheets daily.

I love everything about this phone. It's almost perfect except for the damn keyboard.

I'm at the shop again trying to get used to it. So far it doesn't look promising. My dealer has offered to let me take the phone home overnight, I'll put it through its paces and see how it goes. Still keeping an open mind but for now, I simply can't get used to the squished keyboard the balance the feel of the keys travel etc.

Let's see, fingers crossed. I want to like this device, but without a keyboard I can fly on its effectively useless, for me.

If it doesn't work out I'll do a double phone thing. The classic as a phone, email, texting machine. Carry a note 4 for the screen size, document review etc.

It's funny, after playing with the large square screen even my Z30 seems impossible narrow and small. BlackBerry definitely has something going with the new form factor.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 12:58 AM
    Some positive news, I've figured out a way to hold it. The official BlackBerry rep was in the store and he showed me how. It's not top heavy anymore. I can type ok with the virtual keyboard, easy to get used to symbols.

I still, however, think the keys are too stiff and the spacing and travel is off. The rep said that won't change with time, it's a seven layer keyboard to accommodate the electronics, that's why it's stiff.

Will keep updating here, it concerns me though. If a BlackBerry fan, who had been waiting so long for this phone needs a week and daily personal meetings with the rep to vet used to the device, how will this ever succeed in the market. Guess it's supposed to remain a niche phone for fans.

Will definitely be waiting for the classic before I decide even if I get used to the keyboard.

The passport for me went from a buy sight unseen phone to a wait and see.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 01:54 AM
    Just noticed that the space auto insert isn't thereIbelieve (this is a sample).
    We might have a software issue here, as on my Z30 it was here.
    Will ask and report here.

Posted via CB10
    mousse04 likes this.
    10-01-14 03:12 AM
    I still, however, think the keys are too stiff and the spacing and travel is off. The rep said that won't change with time, it's a seven layer keyboard to accommodate the electronics, that's why it's stiff.
    Should be a feeling (or accommodation ?) then, but I definitely found the keys softer after a while ...
    10-01-14 03:47 AM
    The last (and only) pkb phone I had was the 9900. I guess the feeling of typing on clouds spoiled me. I'm pretty quick on the Z30 as well, on the passport, I'm literally at 10% of the speed on the Z with an incredible amount of typos.

Beautiful phone though. The build, that screen, total class.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-14 04:06 AM
    @KR: will improve fast
    10-01-14 07:31 AM
    @KR: will improve fast
    I refuse to give up but also won't buy until I'm convinced. Major props to you guys in the states buying sight unseen.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-01-14 08:09 AM
    I have full intentions of buying a passport (although I'm holding out for a white version this time) in the meantime I've kept my eye out for a Telus store actually having one on display. Last night I found a Telus store with a passport I had less than a minute on it but it was nice to hold, not as big as you would think and I loved the firmness of the keyboard. Much nicer than my Q10's keyboard. So just those short observations for anyone interested.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck and Superfly_FR like this.
    10-02-14 05:17 PM
    I can see the point of the keyboard being a bit too low to type on ,I've been trying to adjust my fingers so it feels secure in my hands, I'm sure it's going to take some time to get use to. But I gotta say what a baby this is ! I honestly didn't like the looks of it when blackberry first announced it, but now that's it's in my hands, all I can say now is WOW!!

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 06:44 PM
    I can see the point of the keyboard being a bit too low to type on ,I've been trying to adjust my fingers so it feels secure in my hands, I'm sure it's going to take some time to get use to. But I gotta say what a baby this is ! I honestly didn't like the looks of it when blackberry first announced it, but now that's it's in my hands, all I can say now is WOW!!

Posted via CB10
    Gotta say, when I first held a Q10 last summer I worried the keyboard was too low, but I got over that in minutes...
    10-02-14 06:47 PM
    OP Keep us informed of your trial week and your decision.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-14 09:23 PM
    OP Keep us informed of your trial week and your decision.

Posted via CB10
    Will do. I think the decision is clear I'm going to have to wait for the classic before pulling the trigger. But will post here about the passport and whether it passes my tests, is a maybe or a definite no.

Latest is that I now have no problem holding it comfortably, the semi virtual keyboard (shift and period) are not they hard to get used to.

Still having problems with the stiffness of keys, travel, and width. Also not too happy with the trackpad on the keyboard.

A proper trackpad is unlimited scrolling, you can keep rolling the ball. The keyboard you can only scroll to the top, and then have to move your finger to the bottom again. Half of the time the cursor disappears.

Trackpad only seems to work in emails and document editing. I can't get it to come up on web pages. To click a small link I still have to zoom in and click, like on the Z30, same with forms.

Let's see, will keep playing and see if it works. If not, there IS a classic coming out, I'll carry two phones. Classic for phone email and communication, a note 4 for a larger screen.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 01:06 AM
    I've been using my passport for the last 30 minutes while walking 2miles or so (tw,fb,here...) and I must say i'm pretty pleased or even surprised by the experience. While it requires a 2 handed operation, it's still agile and my accuracy is improving every minute so that I now barely use suggestions... ol' time 9900 KB times like.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-14 09:24 AM
97 1234