The only thing that I would agree with you on is the Keys on the keyboard is a bit stiff. Also, swiping up from the middle of the keyboard (above the space bar) is a bit tricky. But, it is a learning curve to the BB-Passport.
    Thanks for sharing!
    09-29-14 01:21 PM
    I wonder how many consumers went out and test drove an extended cargo van with heavy duty suspension. But then would say it's to big for my everyday use of transportation, to big for my garage. Passport isnt for the basic consumer at all. Can't understand the bad reviews so quick. Just a commment of its not for me would suffice.
    Did you bother reading the initial post or is this a general unrelated comment ?

1. Nowhere did I say it was too big.

2. Look at what I do with my smartphone, I'm definitely not a basic customer and probably fit bang in the bull's-eye of their target buyer. What exactly is a basic or advanced customer anyway ? Fine I have 10 email accounts , my mother has 1. At the end of the day we both send messages, it's just the volume that changes.

My problem is with the keyboard, which I admit might change when I bring the demo model home. Given that this phone is all about the physical keyboard, it's a pretty valid concern.

I don't need to prove how elite or advanced of a customer I am by keeping a passport in my pocket. I'd it doesn't work for ME, for a specific reason in this case keyboard, holding the phone, banging away messages, then I'm going to mention it here, my opinion might help others.

I have a chance to try the phone out for a week. Only because I'm traveling and happen to be here in india where I know the dealer. There are a LOT of people buying it sight unseen based on hype. Let all information get out there people can make up their own mind.

I'm a huge blackberry fan and can't imagine my main phone not being a BlackBerry. The hub simplifies my life. With that being said , there's no way I'm going to be a blind fanboy, it's a company that exists to make money, not a religion.

I'm not writing the phone off yet. Comments above make it seem like the keyboard needs practice. Fine. But, the second I picked up the 9900, or even the q10, it put a smile on my face to press the keys and type. Without practice. The passport didn't do that to me and yes, after 6 months of waiting, I was dissappointed.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 01:44 PM
    It takes a little time to get used to but once you do you'll never look back! For me the keyboard is amazing to type in I'm in love with it I type just as fast as I did on my z10 now

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 03:06 PM
    I wonder how many consumers went out and test drove an extended cargo van with heavy duty suspension. But then would say it's to big for my everyday use of transportation, to big for my garage. Passport isnt for the basic consumer at all. Can't understand the bad reviews so quick. Just a commment of its not for me would suffice.
    That doesn't make sense at all. OP's situation would be going to test drive that van then deciding they didn't like how it cornered, or accelerated or wasn't comfortable to drive. Totally different.
    09-29-14 03:14 PM
    OP, is it possible the unit you tried wasn't the best example of what to expect on a new device? I've certainly seen demo units at the store that had keyboards that felt completely different from the actual new-in-box units.
    09-29-14 03:15 PM
    If you can't bring up the cursor in web forms, that means you can't use it in wordpress, web based contact forms, and web based mail? This is important for me and means Samsung Note is better for cursor precision.
    09-29-14 04:03 PM
    How to hold and type with the new Passport with two hands:
    . Place index, middle, and ring fingers under the device with the index finger tip right on the logo. Same way applies to your right hand. This creates a weaving 'hammock' under the device.
    . Left and right pinkies rest next to the space bar.

Passport, underwhelmed in person.-two-hand-hold-back.jpg
    Passport, underwhelmed in person.-two-hand-hold-front.jpg

Using Z10, wanting Z30, eyeing Windermere
    Attached Thumbnails Passport, underwhelmed in person.-img_20140929_150058.jpg  
    09-29-14 05:07 PM
    Bla1ze did say give it three days to really get comfortable, so maybe try it again? It sounds like you had so many positives to say about it.
    09-29-14 05:14 PM
    Nice to read a thread which is 99% supportive and respectful. Carry on.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    09-29-14 09:28 PM
    I think the OP has made some good points, the main one of which is: It's important to be clear about what does and doesn't work for you, and it takes a little while to get that clarity. My own story with the Z10 was similar. I could see how sophisticated the VKB was, but I just didn't like typing on it that much. I tended to type very quickly, so much so that I'd become inaccurate, beyond the power of the software to fix. Flicking words with my thumbs never got to feel natural, partly because I have a slight tremor in one thumb. I could see what others liked about it, but for VKB use I much preferred Swype on Android. I certainly gave the BB10 VKB a chance; I used that Z10 for five months before I sold it and got an S4.

I returned to BB10 for the Q10, because the combination of PKB and Word Substitution really is my favorite way to do text entry. Now with the Passport I'm still finding that swiping up with my thumbs isn't great for me, but fortunately I don't have to do it. I can tap the predicted words, just as I did on the Q10. There's no difference in efficiency, just a different movement.

Balancing the phone while using it isn't a problem for me, but it's definitely different from the Q10, and it did take a day or so to adjust. In another thread ("Oddities") I mentioned that I was typing punctuation marks by mistake when trying to type letters in the top row, because my thumb would extend over those keys and sometimes tap the virtual punctuation row. That has ceased, with little or no conscious effort on my part.

The keys are a bit stiff, but I don't find it off-putting. Moreover, I know there is a break-in with a PKB, and the touch gets a bit softer over time. It was that way with every PKB BlackBerry I ever owned.

I think the OP will be in a good position to make a decision after a day or so of experimentation. In any case, it's great that the Z30 is working out for him.
    Thunderbuck and bungaboy like this.
    09-30-14 08:04 AM
    How to hold and type with the new Passport with two hands:
    . Place index, middle, and ring fingers under the device with the index finger tip right on the logo. Same way applies to your right hand. This creates a weaving 'hammock' under the device.
    . Left and right pinkies rest next to the space bar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Two hand hold back.jpg 
Views:	1560 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	301633

Soooo hold it exactly like I hold my Z10? Awesome! ;-)

VZW STL 100-4 currently running 10.3.0.1154
    09-30-14 08:20 AM
    I managed to get the mobile reps at BestBuy to crack open a box for me and this thing is a beast! I told them up front I'm a Rogers customer so couldn't pick it up today (Telus exclusive in Canada until tomorrow), but because there were no demo units I was curious about the feel. They opened it right up and handed it off - SOLID feeling device, feels high quality, and yes it's big. Unfortunately the battery had ZERO charge so I couldn't boot it up out of the box (this would be disappointing if purchasing today) but I still did some dummy typing on the keyboard - definately a trick to get used to. Just wish it would boot up so I could have tried the capacitive keyboard a bit! Still not sure about this v. classic, but excited nonetheless.
    09-30-14 10:13 AM
    To me, with the Passport BlackBerry has finally embraced the old adage: 'To thine own self be true'
    Northernlady01 likes this.
    09-30-14 10:27 AM
    Did you bother reading the initial post or is this a general unrelated comment ?

2. Look at what I do with my smartphone, I'm definitely not a basic customer and probably fit bang in the bull's-eye of their target buyer. What exactly is a basic or advanced customer anyway ? Fine I have 10 email accounts , my mother has 1. At the end of the day we both send messages, it's just the volume that changes.

My problem is with the keyboard, which I admit might change when I bring the demo model home. Given that this phone is all about the physical keyboard, it's a pretty valid concern.

I don't need to prove how elite or advanced of a customer I am by keeping a passport in my pocket. I'd it doesn't work for ME, for a specific reason in this case keyboard, holding the phone, banging away messages, then I'm going to mention it here, my opinion might help others.

I have a chance to try the phone out for a week. Only because I'm traveling and happen to be here in india where I know the dealer. There are a LOT of people buying it sight unseen based on hype. Let all information get out there people can make up their own mind.

I'm a huge blackberry fan and can't imagine my main phone not being a BlackBerry. The hub simplifies my life. With that being said , there's no way I'm going to be a blind fanboy, it's a company that exists to make money, not a religion.

I'm not writing the phone off yet. Comments above make it seem like the keyboard needs practice. Fine. But, the second I picked up the 9900, or even the q10, it put a smile on my face to press the keys and type. Without practice. The passport didn't do that to me and yes, after 6 months of waiting, I was dissappointed.

Posted via CB10
    and you must also agree that those other phones followed the same basic form factor so the learning curve would be quite small. The Passport represents a huge chasm in that regard yes? So give it some time and see how you feel about it after say a week or so...
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-30-14 10:32 AM
    It takes getting used to. But also, the software is a little buggy. It'll improve I'm sure.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    09-30-14 10:43 AM
    Soooo hold it exactly like I hold my Z10? Awesome! ;-)

VZW STL 100-4 currently running 10.3.0.1154

When I get my Passport, I hope Blackberry doesn't tell me "I'm holding it wrong" like what happened to one of my phones years ago....
    WWBlondieDo likes this.
    09-30-14 11:01 AM
    Sums it up right there, it takes a little getting used to but it's amazing once you do!
    unfortunately this is why the reviewers won't be eulogising this phone. If you can't pick it up and use it they will complain and lean in favour of phones that don't have such an acclimatisation requirement.
    09-30-14 11:49 AM
    I don't think I agree on that, I agree with the OP about the keys seeming to low on the phone myself. But I know it's just intial teething issues while I get used to it. I know I will be happy with this phone in time. Unfortunately , it is what will kill it for the vast majority. They will pick it up in the phone shop, or listen to the reviewers who have held it for less than a day and will give up. This phone is seriously different. That is good to those who want it to be, like myself. To the rest, they will go running back to their iphones and droids feeling very righteous sadly. There is no paradigm shift in the making here I fear, which is a shame. as i truly love this phone
    The only thing that I would agree with you on is the Keys on the keyboard is a bit stiff. Also, swiping up from the middle of the keyboard (above the space bar) is a bit tricky. But, it is a learning curve to the BB-Passport.
    Thanks for sharing!
    09-30-14 11:51 AM
    There's a learning curve. A real one. Everyone should notice that before jumping in.
    This learning curve ends after 1 day or two of usage. Then you choose the way you use it. For instance, in many occasions, I found easier to tap on suggested words than swiping up or on the soft shift key to develop the virtual kb ...
    09-30-14 12:00 PM
    I find myself typing the whole thing out with the Passport instead of swiping the words up. The good ol' feeling of the tactile keyboard is back for me.

I thought it'd take longer for me to get used to the new keyboard and I was wrong.

09-30-14 12:13 PM
    There's a learning curve. A real one. Everyone should notice that before jumping in.
    This learning curve ends after 1 day or two of usage. Then you choose the way you use it. For instance, in many occasions, I found easier to tap on suggested words than swiping up or on the soft shift key to develop the virtual kb ...
    I'm glad you mentioned tapping the suggestive words rather than swiping them up. I did that once this morning. The swiping on the surface of the keyboard takes some time to master, about two day.

I read somewhere that the placement of the space bar could hang up some people. Not for me it took about two days for my brain to have my thumb reprogrammed to the new key mapping.

bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-30-14 12:18 PM
    I could see the keyboard looks too low for some people. However, it's not low after a couple days of usage.

09-30-14 12:19 PM
    The more I look at this phone and hold it in my hand, the more I like it. I like the stainless steel frame edge. It's sturdy, strong, and non-bragging.

09-30-14 12:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then bro - the Passport isn't for you.

You're wrong in saying the Passport's target is you, someone with 10 emails - the focus of the Passport is the screen dimensions, not the keyboard. Hence it's emphasis has been on the "work wide" hash-tag, not "type faster".

The keyboard is innovative in that it's a hybrid of physical and elements of the BlackBerry virtual keyboard that people love - it's purpose is not meant to be better than the traditional qwerty.

Don't hold your breath - you'll never "get used" to the Passport's keyboard to the level of muscle memory and precision of the traditional qwerty.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-30-14 12:33 PM
    The passport does take getting used to, there is a learning curve and its higher for some, so you have to try it out yourself to see if its worth your while.

I feel, for one, the passport is more of a hit with native physical keyboard diehards who want a big screen.

If you are a touch phone user and are very comfortable with it, chances are you wont like the passport.

Its not for everyone. Bottom line. But for people like me its simply marvelous.
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 09-30-14 at 02:35 PM.
    09-30-14 12:36 PM
97 1234