Well, the new Passports are out on the delivery trucks and in some hands already.
    One unfortunate poster recently mentioned their 4 day long relationship with their passport was in grave danger after a water accident.

So, that brings to mind, that it might be good to always a have a bag of rice at home (just in case your new Passport falls into the pool).
    Most purchasers thus far have bought their Passports outright from Amazon or ShopBlackBerry.

But what about extended insurances ?
    Are you thinking about getting one for your Passport?
    Did you get an extended insurance?
    Have you had to use them at?
    How did the claim go?

We really do love our devices and we take care of them, I'm sure. Has extended insurance been on your mind?

it would be great to hear your CrackBerry opinions on this.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    10-27-14 10:02 PM
    This thread inspired me to purchase third party insurance for my Passport. I literally just purchased coverage a couple of minutes ago by a reputable third party insurer, considering I purchased the device unlocked from Amazon, and there is currently no US carrier who sells the Passport. It really is a relief.
    GeoK likes this.
    10-27-14 11:01 PM
    I'm thinking about it as well... I'll do some research
    10-27-14 11:18 PM
    That's great, thanks.
    I know there may be several companies to choose from.
    10-28-14 08:18 AM
    squaretrade.com
    10-28-14 08:27 AM
    I looked at sqauretrade recently. It looks like their business model has been changed since the last time I used it.

It used to be you pay a flat fee for a couple year of protection, but that has gone away. Please let me know if I am not right.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 08:48 AM
    awesome photo you got there kwakster928!
    10-28-14 02:32 PM
    Squaretrade seems to have a $99.00 two year plan and a $5.00 a month plan.
    10-28-14 02:35 PM
    I haven't used it but protectyourbubble.com seems good. Anyone have any experience before I go with them?

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 02:44 PM
    Wow, I've never thought of this.....ever. Nice post OP

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-28-14 02:47 PM
    I always just buy the insurance that comes with the carrier. I'm with EE in the UK, but usually buy from Carphone Warehouse. Their insurance is pretty comprehensive.
    GeoK likes this.
    10-28-14 04:24 PM
    Maybe look into your house insurance if you have it, most include cell phones. I know mine does. Maybe save yourself money.

Posted via CB10
    GeoK likes this.
    10-28-14 07:34 PM
    that's a great idea.
    10-28-14 10:41 PM
    Bump.
    Didn't want to start a new thread when I knew this one existed. Has anyone else opted for third path insurance? I'm interested now that I have my passport. Would hate to drop it or get it dunked in the sink by my niece, who did it twice..with two phones...to my sister..... in one week. Lol

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-11-14 03:30 PM
    AT&T offers devices replacement insurance w/out contract.
    Passport and Third Party Insurance-img_20141111_163736_edit.png
    GeoK likes this.
    11-11-14 03:40 PM
    I wonder if tmobile does this. I'll check. I don't want any insurance though. I want the insurance company with the smoothest replacement experience possible. I have never experienced it with tmobile.

11-11-14 04:05 PM
    AT&T offers devices replacement insurance w/out contract.
    Unfortunately, AT&T doesn't replace phones not sold by AT&T.

Taken from AT&T's Mobile Insurance and Deductible Schedule:

Passport and Third Party Insurance-untitled.jpg

So, if you have an unlocked device, and it isn't sold by AT&T, you gotta go third party if you want insurance. This was one of the first questions I asked when I went to get my sim for my Passport.
    11-11-14 04:05 PM
    Bump.
    Didn't want to start a new thread when I knew this one existed. Has anyone else opted for third path insurance? I'm interested now that I have my passport. Would hate to drop it or get it dunked in the sink by my niece, who did it twice..with two phones...to my sister..... in one week. Lol

Went with SquareTrade. 5 dollars a month for two years, and they'll either replace the device, or cut you a check so you can get a new device. They cover everything but theft or loss. You gotta provide proof of purchase, and you need to get a policy within 30 days of purchasing your device.
    11-11-14 04:10 PM
    Went with SquareTrade. 5 dollars a month for two years, and they'll either replace the device, or cut you a check so you can get a new device. They cover everything but theft or loss. You gotta provide proof of purchase, and you need to get a policy within 30 days of purchasing your device.
    Two more questions if you don't mind.

1. Have you ever put in a claim with them before? And if so, how was the smoothness fulfillment?

2. Do they only cover brand new devices?

11-11-14 04:15 PM
    Two more questions if you don't mind.

1. Have you ever put in a claim with them before? And if so, how was the smoothness fulfillment?

2. Do they only cover brand new devices?

1) Nope, never have, as this is my first true unlocked device. I went with them based on their reviews.

2) It appears that they'll cover devices which aren't new, but only if the device previously had insurance with a carrier, e.g., wanting to switch an iPhone from AT&T's insurance to SquareTrade.
    11-11-14 04:19 PM
    Unfortunately, AT&T doesn't replace phones not sold by AT&T.

Taken from AT&T's Mobile Insurance and Deductible Schedule:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	313768

So, if you have an unlocked device, and it isn't sold by AT&T, you gotta go third party if you want insurance. This was one of the first questions I asked when I went to get my sim for my Passport.
    I opted out of the insurance, but they will replace it if they carry it at the time and if not, they will then replace with the most similar device they have. For the Passport I have no idea what that would be, but it also would be based on valuation as well. Had a discussion with AT&T as well about this and ended up declining.

Just to reiterate, this is why I think it is a terrible idea for people getting their Passports and not getting a new SIM card with the Passport IMEI number and just using their Z or Q number and are paying insurance. How would you like to buy a $700 Passport and have it replaced with the current valuation of the Z10 at $199. Wouldn't even be worth the deductible. The Passport has been in their system since early October so use your Passport's IMEI number!

LTE works fine on the Passport without any workarounds anymore.

Posted via CB10
    GeoK likes this.
    11-11-14 08:45 PM
    I opted out of the insurance, but they will replace it if they carry it at the time and if not, they will then replace with the most similar device they have. For the Passport I have no idea what that would be, but it also would be based on valuation as well. Had a discussion with AT&T as well about this and ended up declining.

Just to reiterate, this is why I think it is a terrible idea for people getting their Passports and not getting a new SIM card with the Passport IMEI number and just using their Z or Q number and are paying insurance. How would you like to buy a $700 Passport and have it replaced with the current valuation of the Z10 at $199. Wouldn't even be worth the deductible. The Passport has been in their system since early October so use your Passport's IMEI number!

LTE works fine on the Passport without any workarounds anymore.

Posted via CB10
    How about T-mobile? Did they use my passport IMEI number or my Q10? Since the passport will never officially be on T-mobile

11-11-14 08:48 PM
    Everything but theft and loss?
    That's a bit.....strange. Is not insurance against theft?

Any company cover the theft and loss?

11-11-14 09:11 PM
    Everything but theft and loss?
    That's a bit.....strange. Is not insurance against theft?

Any company cover the theft and loss?
    I know from experience that Verizon and AT&T both cover theft, loss, basically anything. Lost a few phones and they were replaced. You should be able to use the same company they use, at least that is what a AT&T customer rep was telling me while we were BSing over the phone about Apple, Google, BB10 messed up launch. Think he said he has a Nexus device and just bought his own insurance through the same company. Believe they both use Asurion.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 09:19 PM
    How about T-mobile? Did they use my passport IMEI number or my Q10? Since the passport will never officially be on T-mobile

Are you paying for insurance through them? If so I would contact them to see what device they are insuring. Not sure if they use Asurion as well. When you got your nano-sim, did they use the IMEI number from the Passport? I actually brought the box with me to AT&T and they scanned the number right off the box. I would find out. Easiest way would be to just give them a call if you have insurance on your monthly bill and ask them what device they are insuring. Definitely worth it to find out!

Posted via CB10
    11-11-14 09:27 PM
33 12