When you have an encrypted device (all phones have decryption on by default for the last couple of years), you should consider all of the data on it VERY temporary and VERY EASILY LOST - which means you need to be making constant and regular backups of any and all data that might be important to you. Obviously this is easy if you are using cloud sync, which is why most people do, but if you turn that off, then it's up to you personally to manually backup your data.

And given that Link backups are also encrypted and require the BBID server to be running in order to authorize a restore, should that BBID server be discontinued or otherwise unavailable, your Link backups are useless.

SO, you need to make sure you are backing up your data someplace (flash drive, hard drive, etc.) in an unencrypted form so that it's accessible to you should your device get lost, stolen, or swims in a lake with you. That's likely to be a very manual process, but it's vital to ensure that your data isn't gone forever.

Again, there's no way to extract data out of a Link backup, and no way to restore it if the BBID server isn't working (and we have no idea if/when it will go away, but it's dangerous to assume it will continue forever), so make sure you backup your data in an unencrypted format!
    05-31-19 11:18 PM
    When you have an encrypted device (all phones have decryption on by default for the last couple of years), you should consider all of the data on it VERY temporary and VERY EASILY LOST - which means you need to be making constant and regular backups of any and all data that might be important to you. Obviously this is easy if you are using cloud sync, which is why most people do, but if you turn that off, then it's up to you personally to manually backup your data.

And given that Link backups are also encrypted and require the BBID server to be running in order to authorize a restore, should that BBID server be discontinued or otherwise unavailable, your Link backups are useless.

SO, you need to make sure you are backing up your data someplace (flash drive, hard drive, etc.) in an unencrypted form so that it's accessible to you should your device get lost, stolen, or swims in a lake with you. That's likely to be a very manual process, but it's vital to ensure that your data isn't gone forever.

Again, there's no way to extract data out of a Link backup, and no way to restore it if the BBID server isn't working (and we have no idea if/when it will go away, but it's dangerous to assume it will continue forever), so make sure you backup your data in an unencrypted format!
    Refresh my memory - does Sachesi or Darcy's tools need Link or access to BBID servers?
    06-01-19 11:57 AM
    Wash w distilled water thoroughly, rice for 48 hours
    06-01-19 03:02 PM
    The closest incident I had with my BlackBerry Passport around a lake, was when the waves came up too quickly, and partially soaked the bottom. Thankfully, I was able to dry it off quickly and it did fine.
    06-15-19 07:25 PM
    Here's the Screenshot of the camera not working.
    Hey Munchkin,

Did you get everything sorted here? Let us know if you aren't able to back up the Passport--there are other ways than Link.
    06-19-19 04:07 AM
    Yes, I got the screen replaced and it mostly works. Front and back cameras are kaput. Antenna works only sometimes. I did the backup on my dad's Windows 7 machine. But it was enough for me to recover my files and keep using until my Key2 arrived in the mail!
    brookie229 likes this.
    07-11-19 11:11 PM
    Yes, I got the screen replaced and it mostly works. Front and back cameras are kaput. Antenna works only sometimes. I did the backup on my dad's Windows 7 machine. But it was enough for me to recover my files and keep using until my Key2 arrived in the mail!
    Good to know your files were recovered/intact.
    Hope you already have a waterproof case for your K². 😉
    07-12-19 04:34 AM
    This pop-up "The camera can't be started." showed on my Z30 after it took a brief swim. After about 3-4 weeks of seeing this every time I tried to look at an image saved or open the camera, the camera suddenly started working again. All I did was dry it out and leave the back off overnight a couple of times.

I lost no data, and now the camera is fine. I would never take my Red Passport near water, though. That phone is priceless to me.
    07-12-19 06:47 PM
    This pop-up "The camera can't be started." showed on my Z30 after it took a brief swim. After about 3-4 weeks of seeing this every time I tried to look at an image saved or open the camera, the camera suddenly started working again. All I did was dry it out and leave the back off overnight a couple of times.

I lost no data, and now the camera is fine. I would never take my Red Passport near water, though. That phone is priceless to me.
    Lucky you!

Posted via CB10
    07-12-19 07:25 PM
    Hey Munchkin,

Did you get everything sorted here? Let us know if you aren't able to back up the Passport--there are other ways than Link.
    What do you use for backing up your data, Tiger?

Posted via CB10
    07-13-19 02:39 AM
35 12