Hi there, I'm looking to get a BlackBerry Passport through Optus Australia - I'm currently overseas, but will be in Australia in few months' time.

Questions:
    1) Is the Passport still available through Optus?
    2) Would an outright purchase of the Passport through Optus be worth the $$$, or is a contract purchase a better deal?
    3) Does Optus provide any BB10 apps for data/account management?

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-15 07:26 PM
    Don't know about 1&2 as I already had a passport when I was in australia. For 3, android app for Optus works fine.

Passport, SQW 100-1, 10.3.1.1779
    05-03-15 10:16 PM
    1) yep, still available but they order it in. You need to commit sight unseen. No different to buying online.

2) I always buy outright. I find it cheaper over 2 years as you can shop around for cheaper plans. Duty free prices are pretty good.

3) do you mean to manage your download limits? The PP has this built in.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:16 AM
    Whoops, didn't read 2 properly. If you want to go Optus, then a plan is probably better. The Optus outright price is pretty high. Better off to get one duty free or from an online shop. Much cheaper, and you can shop around for a plan.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:20 AM
    Regarding #2 I guess it depends on your plan. I'll be going with a $30 plan for phone and data (Optus reseller) and will buy outright from kogan, I think. They've currently got the Passport for just under $700.

Over 24 months it works out slightly cheaper than a plan at around $70 a month. Not sure what Optus' Passport plans are though.

Regarding #3 you can monitor your data usage through bb10. I've been doing this on my Z10 since updating to 10.2

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 06:32 AM
    Hi there, I'm looking to get a BlackBerry Passport through Optus Australia - I'm currently overseas, but will be in Australia in few months' time.

Questions:
    1) Is the Passport still available through Optus?
    2) Would an outright purchase of the Passport through Optus be worth the $$$, or is a contract purchase a better deal?
    3) Does Optus provide any BB10 apps for data/account management?

Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    1/ I assume you would only go via optus if you buy on plan?
    2/ if you buy outright why Optus?
    3/ connect price is always more expensive
    3b/ the app is included in the OS of BB10 for a while

And finally, if you are overseas why are you buying in Australia ? It is one of the most expensive place on earth. Buy overseas and bring it home. Make sure model -2, for access to LTe.
    I buy my phones on shop BlackBerry or Amazon. Even delivered it's cheaper.

Posted via Z30 or Red Passport.
    05-04-15 07:19 AM
    As Vader42 said, Optus has it, but they have to order it in.

And as Redchilli88 said, if you're overseas, get it there if you can because our prices are pretty high for phones and always has been. (I think the 9700 and 9900 were both about $1000)

As far as the app, I'm with telstra and use their app which works fine, I don't see why the Optus one wouldn't.

I think it, Penny(the Passport) spits it out.
    05-04-15 07:39 AM
    Hey I can help with this, I called every sales office Australia (Optus Telstra virgin and Vodafone) all said they weren't stocking it, then I went searching for store to store across all networks till I found the Optus store in queen st mall brisbane is the last remaining place you can buy it out right. I got mine for $816 they only offer it in black which I was cool with and they had it to me in 48hrs, now for data and services get the $2 a day thru Optus it will give you 500mb+unlimited calls&texts(all providers) if you got over they 500mb they will top it up to 1gb for another $2, so over all I get 15Gb/pm for $60 or if I want to max out the service for a maximum cost of $120 I get 30Gb a month. Now show me a data plan that can better that (haha) I hope that helps

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 08:39 AM
    Thanks, all.
    I agree with buying it outright outside Australia.
    Much appreciated!

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 10:38 AM
    Just pulled the trigger and bought my own Passport now. Kogan had them for $659 but after postage it came to around $690.

I believe they source their units from overseas and supply an adapter for charging. At least that's what they did for the iPhone I bought for my wife.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 05:53 PM
    Let me know how it goes with the Passport from Kogan... post some pics etc.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-15 09:10 PM
    When I inquired about Passport outright price was about 800, right when was released though, despite online even Kogan was cheaper. As long as you have your SIM card should be fine in any carrier. I personally am with Vodafone.

Posted with a BlackBerry Q10, Australia
    05-04-15 09:16 PM
    It's a 1-2 week wait for the device but when it arrives I'll post some pics if people are curious.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 05:23 AM
    Thread rez:

My Passport arrived from Kogan on 12 May after ordering on 6 May. Will post impressions later once I've had a good shot at the new phone. It's certainly interesting and different.

It appears to be a European unit (based on the charger) and kogan supplied a travel adapter for charging.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-15 09:15 AM
    Any updates on the Passport and how well it works on the Australian networks?

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 03:10 AM