11-12-14 10:06 AM
98 1234
tools
    Use Snap! Search the forum for how to install it on your phone with a VPN, along with other Bar files (BlackBerry apps) like Snap2Chat, or easily Sideload them with a chrome extension or Sachesi!

Hope this helps, I think I better understood what people are talking about inn this thread.

Passport, it's the optimal viewing experience.
    10-09-14 01:45 AM
    Does the Blackberry Passport run Whatsapp?
    Of course it does...Whatsapp is native to BlackBerry so does work on the passport. I have it on mine and works perfectly well.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 05:01 AM
    Passport is the Flagship
    Im sure the natives will get passport updates soon
    [ web Splitter developer can hear me ? :s]

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 05:32 AM
    What's new?

The native apps like Twitter, Whatsapp, Skype etc.. work perfectly and the experience on the passport is brilliant!

The problem remains what it has for a good 5+ yrs, app support! It's unforgivable that BlackBerry would launch such a great product and not have popular social apps like Instagram, Vine etc.. ready to go. When i search the store for apps made by 'Blackberry Limited' there is only a dozen or so? Why?? It has been and continues to be the platforms biggest downfall. You're never going to appeal to the masses unless you address this. Side loading Snap is not the answer.

Although it's been around for a while NFC is about to take off. The launch of the Apple Pay app and its integration to Apple Passbook could seriously kill BlackBerry.

I've been using the Passport for two days now and it is an amazing bit of kit.
    dejanh likes this.
    10-09-14 05:43 AM
    Hopefully we will see greater than anticipated sales of the Passport...

If they sell well, the devs will support....al la "Build it and they will come" sorta vibe.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-09-14 08:25 PM
    Try zooming out

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 08:33 PM
    Hopefully we will see greater than anticipated sales of the Passport...

If they sell well, the devs will support....al la "Build it and they will come" sorta vibe.
    that's the problem.. needs dev support to sell well.
    To take your quote "build the apps and they will buy"
    10-09-14 09:09 PM
    BB is for business people. Especially the new passport. Why would business people want to play games? the point of BB these days is they are focusing on the business groups. It is the most secure platform out here today. The more apps you have the less secure it will be. :-)
    I own a company and we will be using the passport and I am glad my employees won't be using games on this device. It is for business. They can buy their own device for games.
    mkelley65 and alan510 like this.
    10-09-14 10:17 PM
    I am not a big app person myself. Most everything I have tried that I had on my Z30 seems to work well on my Passport. Flipboard and News360 are two droid apps I use often and they work fine. The Amex app worked but asked for Google services at every open. I have moved to using mobile webs sites for things like Amex Amazon and Best Buy. The mobile sites work great on the Passport and seem to be as fast or faster than the apps and just as functional. However I know this isn't an option for a lot of issues.

Passport on AT&T
    Where'd you get Flipboard?

It's not available on either BlackBerry World or the Amazon store.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:18 PM
    I ordered my passport for what it does, I don't care about all apps, I have the core that I need such as twitter, skype,bewearher pro, navita translator, candy crushand timmyme after that I use the phone for emails and work related and that my friends is what's all about.

Posted via CB10
    Good for you. But I shun the implication that others, who had expectations based on BlackBerry promises, are somehow less than.

Once again, promises were made and not kept... happens over and over and over again with present day BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:25 PM
    It's time to be honest with yourself and make the right decision.

If 'app universe' is a top 5 decision driver for you getting a smartphone, then do what 90% of the planet does: Android or iOS. You will be best served. No doubt about it.

If your top 5 decision drivers are:

1. phone and speaker phone quality

2. superior battery life

3. qwerty

4. security

5. among best built devices on the market (materials and design)

Then a BlackBerry Passport is a beautiful thing and you will be happy for a long time.
    Ben Bradley 66 likes this.
    10-09-14 10:32 PM
    as i am getting older my attention span lessen and i can only focus (and have time) for few apps...mostly news. bloomberg, local news..all there. you can always get everything from twitter also. so app is not important to me.
    most people have 200+ apps, i don't think anyone can remember any of those. more apps = less functionality of the OS and the phone.
    footmatix likes this.
    10-09-14 10:35 PM
    Have posted 3 questions but no answers so far...
    C'mon experts! Please say something... Thanks!
    Here are again my 3 questions:
    Does Blackberry Passport ...
    1) have Blackberry Bridge?
    2) have internet tethering to connect with the Playbook?
    3) run Whatsapp?
    10-09-14 10:39 PM
    I'm getting a bit frustrated with everyone complaining about apps just go to 1 Mobile Market it has over 800k android apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:43 PM
    1) have Blackberry Bridge? http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-963144/
    2) have internet tethering to connect with the Playbook? yes if you can do hot spot in BB10
    3) run Whatsapp yes
    reply above
    10-09-14 10:45 PM
    1) have Blackberry Bridge?
    2) have internet tethering to connect with the Playbook?
    3) run Whatsapp?
    I can answer 3) - yes, but after transferring via link from Z10 had to first delete then reload Whatsapp.

I can try to answer 1) and 2) after I get home next to my Playbook tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 10:47 PM
    With apps, I really feel like BB10 has taken two steps back with this device. My initial expectation was that the app gap would be closed significantly, but that is completely NOT the case. Reason I say this is because even though android apps run better in general with this OS, most of the apps I USED to run, don't run on the Passport. It is very hit and miss with apps.

I gave up on Amazon appstore and moved to Snap.
    Had pretty much the same experience the first day, was a little odd. I had loaded apps BEFORE doing my restore just to see how they ran and such and Netflix, GotoMeeting, LogMeIn, etc all worked fantastically. Then I did my restore of app data and that started a semi-headache...

After some reboots and such I could not get those apps to work again, so finally I deleted them... Rebooted the device twice, then reinstalled the majority of them from Snap (Newer versions then whats in the Amazon app store), and now they all work! Seems to be a combo of my device being very busy getting settled in with my email accounts and everything else from the new setup / restore, along with the restore screwing up some of my apps. (My guess is it was an issue when the apps went to call a native library that interacted with the screen)

So now 2 days later I've got all my Android apps I had working on my Q10 working on my Passport, just took some patience and reloading of those particular apps.

They need to get BBWorld updated with Passport compatible apps and the ones that ARE compatible need to be made available for download. Lots of apps came over with my restore that I cannot re-download from BBWorld currently.
    10-09-14 10:56 PM
    So super excited to get my Passport today:

However many apps have constant problems:
    Bloomberg app is downright ugly and finicky - was very impressive on BB10 -now I can't even get that back because even BBworld loads the Android port.
    Curious which Android Bloomberg app does it load from BlackBerry World on a Passport? Bloomberg or Bloomberg+? What version # is it?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-14 11:34 PM
    Just finished installing a handful of apps from BBRY whatever it's called and then did my Snap install and hit all the Android only apps. Everything i use on my Q is working great on the passport, a few oddities of things not sized perfectly but totally useable. I don't do much social and no games but for all the really functional stuff everything is fine. Sucker get hot when you are installing 35-40 apps. Usual Google Play Services issues but i have learned to live with those. I am just jonesing for the 3.1 features which are really nice on my Q10.... so I can spend another couple hours re-doing all of this!
    anon(870071) likes this.
    10-10-14 12:27 AM
    Why not switch to Twittly? new update today v0.2.810

Redesigned Profile
    Fixed Profile Website URL
    Fixed Facebook Status Update
    Fixed Favorites Page Grid View for Passport
    Bio is now super readable
    Implemented Merged Timeline (Accessible under Accounts Page)
    Home Timeline Live Streaming
    Auto Scroll to Top Option When New Data Comes in from Live Stream
    Fixed Retweet Options UI for Passport
    Fixed Passport Scrolling Stops Sometimes
    No more t.co URLS showing
    Fixed Keyboard Shortcuts for Passport
    Hide JSON when logging in

Posted via CB10
    alan510 and grover5 like this.
    10-10-14 01:10 AM
    [UPDATE]

So I've been painstakingly vetting apps:

I gave up on any useful news apps - I went with RSS Savvy and even though it's not perfect, I can get my news for the most part.

I would like to know if anyone has used the paid feedMinder on the PP?

I have not found a replacement for the Bloomberg app that I used to use heavily. The android app is just not doing it for me. It is nowhere near the elegant native app!

I'm happy to hear a resurgence of app updates for Passport on CB!!!
    I will gladly pay for a native app and support the devs if they update for the Passport!

Have not found a Netflix bar that will show landscape. Any links would be appreeshed. Not a deal breaker but I do find myself often taking the kids to piano or karate where I'd like to catch a quick episode of Arrested Development while waiting :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 02:27 AM
    Netflix with good aspect ratio :

https://mega.co.nz/#!nExDCbAT!1wt2J7...oIOlXHTK61CVqo

It's the one just before the latest one on snap

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 03:42 AM
    Why not switch to Twittly? new update today v0.2.810

Redesigned Profile
    Fixed Profile Website URL
    Fixed Facebook Status Update
    Fixed Favorites Page Grid View for Passport
    Bio is now super readable
    Implemented Merged Timeline (Accessible under Accounts Page)
    Home Timeline Live Streaming
    Auto Scroll to Top Option When New Data Comes in from Live Stream
    Fixed Retweet Options UI for Passport
    Fixed Passport Scrolling Stops Sometimes
    No more t.co URLS showing
    Fixed Keyboard Shortcuts for Passport
    Hide JSON when logging in

Posted via CB10
    Wow, "stay where you left off timeline" - so either this was there already and I overlooked it, or you implemented it just one day after I complained. Awesome!!!
    10-10-14 10:24 AM
    [UPDATE]

I have not found a replacement for the Bloomberg app that I used to use heavily. The android app is just not doing it for me. It is nowhere near the elegant native app!

Posted via CB10
    Which Android version is the Bloomberg app? Can you post a screen shot. Because there are different version of the Bloomberg apps, perhaps the B+ tablet version would work best for the Passport resolution.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-14 02:06 PM
    By the way, if you use Sachesi on BBWorld you are able to install the native apps designed for other devices.
    It may not help you with Android apps, but there are quite a lot of apps that work on Passport that just aren't whitelisted for it.
    Swipe Down->Settings->Choose a different device.

If anyone wants the 'physical .bar' file for any application, you can request that from me too. Hopefully that partially helps the app drought issue for you.
    Philtr and stealthbob like this.
    10-10-14 02:09 PM
98 1234