11-12-14 10:06 AM
98 123 ...
tools
    So super excited to get my Passport today:

Pros:

1. Really exceptional device - hardware, build quality
    2. I see what people have been saying about the space bar, but it does take some getting used to - you have to hit it in the middle to get a more softer hit.
    3. Love the OS changes in 10.3 with email, hub etc.
    4. Love the keyboard gestures - it is nice to have combined capability for swipe and hard keys (scrolling has not been a success for me because it is very inconsistent)
    5. Love the real-estate. It is really nice to read web pages, articles, documents.

Cons:
    There are minor issues, but I'll focus on the only main issue I have- APPS

With apps, I really feel like BB10 has taken two steps back with this device. My initial expectation was that the app gap would be closed significantly, but that is completely NOT the case. Reason I say this is because even though android apps run better in general with this OS, most of the apps I USED to run, don't run on the Passport. It is very hit and miss with apps.

I gave up on Amazon appstore and moved to Snap.

However many apps have constant problems:
    Bloomberg app is downright ugly and finicky - was very impressive on BB10 -now I can't even get that back because even BBworld loads the Android port.
    Stocks app works, but is very aesthetically challenged.
    NFL Now does not scale - video is squished - zoom out/in does not work
    Had to sideload Kindle (there's enough ranting on this in the forums), though it works
    Despicable Me crashes - uninstalled and re-installed did not work - stuck on loading
    Team Stream works but is very clunky - does not look good - looks like a 1998 web page
    Other apps fail BB guardian scanning, so I wouldn't load them.

I think overall, I underestimated how much apps would NOT fit well in the form factor for the Passport.
    I understand this device is ahead of its time, but for now the app experience is actually worse than I had on my z10, q10, and z30.

----
    Since I use this primarily for communication, I'm definitely happy to have it. It is awesome for all business stuff that I do on a daily basis. I just wish I could have my Sports and Finance apps as an enjoyable experience on this device - I could easily live without any games.

Anyway, it's been a long day of playing with this device, felt the need to summarize my thoughts.
    Philtr and shakingthrough like this.
    10-08-14 03:16 AM
    Bloomberg will be updated by the end of the month.....

Don't use the other apps.... overall use snap as well and happy so far...

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.632 and a Z30
    10-08-14 03:23 AM
    Same thing that's been scaring me...Even native BlackBerry 10 developers haven't updated their apps to support the passport!

I will get the passport if someone tells me if one can play games like plants vs zombies, dead space, mass effect on their passport!

Posted via CB10
    zombieblackberry likes this.
    10-08-14 03:24 AM
    Amazon Kindle from BlackBerry world isn't available for the Passport. It isn't available from Amazon appstore either... wth? The one from Snap works great though..

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 03:45 AM
    BeBuzz - not useable. Ringtones often don't fire.
    Blaq - bad formatting of timeline.
    Tapatalk - not available (yet?)
    Some local parking apps don't work at all.

All of the mentioned worked fine on Q and Z devices under 10.2.
    Big issue?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 04:44 AM
    I'm finding that apps from snap are more suitable.
    It really is a shame with the Amazon app store issues. I hope they resolve that soon

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 10:50 AM
    Try Twittly, works so good on the Passport even with keyboard scrolling

Posted via CB10
    ThaMunsta and SmileDahling like this.
    10-08-14 10:54 AM
    Try Twittly, works so good on the Passport even with keyboard scrolling

Posted via CB10
    I can confirm that. Twittly looks & works better than Blaq on the Passport at the moment. Time for a change?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 02:14 PM
    It's always going to be hit or miss with app experience and significantly dependant on what you need and like.

My main staples are Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram...all have been working fine. Especially Twitter, looks very nice on the PP.

Other apps I need and would have never kept the PP had they not been available are the Parking Meter app for my city, banking app, and wifi printing app. All work very well.

I loaded Snap and it certainly is better than the Amazon App store or Aptoide.
    alan510 likes this.
    10-08-14 02:40 PM
    I ordered my passport for what it does, I don't care about all apps, I have the core that I need such as twitter, skype,bewearher pro, navita translator, candy crushand timmyme after that I use the phone for emails and work related and that my friends is what's all about.

Posted via CB10
    alan510 likes this.
    10-08-14 02:48 PM
    The single biggest issue is what is going on with the Amazon app store. Instead of getting access to all the apps, we are selectively being shut out of core apps. There is still no official explanation for this.

Waze for instance is one of the latest apps to disappear. It's still in Amazon App Store, but blocked from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    superbaneling likes this.
    10-08-14 03:01 PM
    Have you tried swiping down from the top and pressing the magnifying glass icon on the right hand side? Might help some apps that are not sizing the right way.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    10-08-14 03:04 PM
    I hate to say it but using snap is really the way to go. Although the Amazon store has 500000 apps they all tend to be many updates behind.

I think most devs load them up and then forget about them.

I can't really blame them as and app on G play may have 10000 downloads the Amazon store may have 4.

Posted via CB10
    AWB70 likes this.
    10-08-14 03:10 PM
    Does the Passport run Skype?
    10-08-14 03:25 PM
    Same thing that's been scaring me...Even native BlackBerry 10 developers haven't updated their apps to support the passport!

I will get the passport if someone tells me if one can play games like plants vs zombies, dead space, mass effect on their passport!

Posted via CB10
    In the Boardroom or your Executive Suite?
    Carjackd likes this.
    10-08-14 03:34 PM
    Does the Passport run Skype?
    Absolutely. Works well. Video and all. Video chat with my kid on his iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    talkberry likes this.
    10-08-14 03:36 PM
    I am not a big app person myself. Most everything I have tried that I had on my Z30 seems to work well on my Passport. Flipboard and News360 are two droid apps I use often and they work fine. The Amex app worked but asked for Google services at every open. I have moved to using mobile webs sites for things like Amex Amazon and Best Buy. The mobile sites work great on the Passport and seem to be as fast or faster than the apps and just as functional. However I know this isn't an option for a lot of issues.

Passport on AT&T
    Lalabum likes this.
    10-08-14 03:48 PM
    For android apps on Passport, try swiping from top and choosing "zoom out"

Posted via CB10
    10-08-14 04:01 PM
    I have a number of daily apps that I'm not sure are going to be supported on the Passport.. None the less, I took the plunge and I'm awaiting the delivery of mine.. If all fails in the app department I can always give the Passport to my wife (uses no apps) and I'll keep my Zed30..
    10-08-14 04:24 PM
    Does the Blackberry Passport run Whatsapp?
    Last edited by talkberry; 10-08-14 at 05:15 PM.
    10-08-14 04:58 PM
    Remember when iphone changed there phones to the longer screen? The first few months apps had to re format for it, now that's the norm, or was.

I believe it should be the same idea with the passport, time is key, you rushed and got it early, as I did, have to deal with early adopter problems

Passport, it's the optimal viewing experience.
    10-08-14 05:03 PM
    So super excited to get my Passport today:

Pros:

1. Really exceptional device - hardware, build quality
    2. I see what people have been saying about the space bar, but it does take some getting used to - you have to hit it in the middle to get a more softer hit.
    3. Love the OS changes in 10.3 with email, hub etc.
    4. Love the keyboard gestures - it is nice to have combined capability for swipe and hard keys (scrolling has not been a success for me because it is very inconsistent)
    5. Love the real-estate. It is really nice to read web pages, articles, documents.

Cons:
    There are minor issues, but I'll focus on the only main issue I have- APPS

With apps, I really feel like BB10 has taken two steps back with this device. My initial expectation was that the app gap would be closed significantly, but that is completely NOT the case. Reason I say this is because even though android apps run better in general with this OS, most of the apps I USED to run, don't run on the Passport. It is very hit and miss with apps.

I gave up on Amazon appstore and moved to Snap.

However many apps have constant problems:
    Bloomberg app is downright ugly and finicky - was very impressive on BB10 -now I can't even get that back because even BBworld loads the Android port.
    Stocks app works, but is very aesthetically challenged.
    NFL Now does not scale - video is squished - zoom out/in does not work
    Had to sideload Kindle (there's enough ranting on this in the forums), though it works
    Despicable Me crashes - uninstalled and re-installed did not work - stuck on loading
    Team Stream works but is very clunky - does not look good - looks like a 1998 web page
    Other apps fail BB guardian scanning, so I wouldn't load them.

I think overall, I underestimated how much apps would NOT fit well in the form factor for the Passport.
    I understand this device is ahead of its time, but for now the app experience is actually worse than I had on my z10, q10, and z30.

----
    Since I use this primarily for communication, I'm definitely happy to have it. It is awesome for all business stuff that I do on a daily basis. I just wish I could have my Sports and Finance apps as an enjoyable experience on this device - I could easily live without any games.

Anyway, it's been a long day of playing with this device, felt the need to summarize my thoughts.
    Initially i thought the same. However today i received a much anticipated update for amazon store. A million times better now with endless apps!!!

Posted via CB10
    ImBerryCurious likes this.
    10-08-14 05:06 PM
    Does Blackberry Passport have Blackberry Bridge and internet tethering to connect with the Playbook?
    10-08-14 05:12 PM
    I can confirm that. Twittly looks & works better than Blaq on the Passport at the moment. Time for a change?

Posted via CB10
    Wow Twittly seems to scroll up to the latest tweet in the timeline, unlike Blaq which shows me where I left it...so I won't know how far to scroll down in order not to miss a tweet. Maybe I was premature in giving up on Blaq, I think this feature is essential.

Posted via CB10
    the_real_mikeyb likes this.
    10-08-14 05:30 PM
    This man speaks the truth... the App situation on the Passport is truly pathetic at the moment. Even with the Amazon App store I find many of the apps I thought I would have out of the box access to are not available. Netflix is now gone from the Amazon Store, Instagram was never actually available, same with Kindle. And, BB World is in dismal shape, many Apps are unavailable for the Passport or have yet to be updated from their Q10 formatting. The Weather Network, Bloomberg, Cineplex, Flixster to name a few. This doesn't even get into the games. Plants vs zombies, dead space, and mass effect are currently unavailable from BB World on the Passport. I only see Plants vs zombies on Amazon and I don't really feel like buying it again. (to answer an earlier post)

Now, please don't get me wrong, I didn't get a Passport for apps and games. If that's what I was really after I probably wouldn't be using a Blackberry at all. But, I kinda did expect the situation to be a little better then it currently is. Going from a Z10 to a Passport is taking a giant leap forward with the device and one step back with the apps.
    Philtr likes this.
    10-08-14 05:35 PM
98 123 ...