10-15-14 02:16 PM
27 12
tools
    Well it would be very surprising that Digital River doesn't provide a live inventory system. I understand your point about it, but there's a slight difference between putting an item in the cart and receiving the confirmation for your order. This last situation means that the item should, normally, be decreased from the stock (automatically).

I used to implement online shop with Prestahop, and its inventory system is simple and efficient. It decreases automatically the stock when an order has been confirmed. (Payment validated)

So if a company like Digital River doesn't provide this kind of system, I would probably advise e-business division of Blackberry to change its online shop provider...
    It seems like the confirmations are automated, then once it goes to someone to ship, it's when the out of stock emails get generated.

How does the system you implemented deal with a rush of orders? Do you let everyone add to their cart and whoever completes payment first gets one? For the people who complete their payment info after stock has gone, do they get the "Out of Stock" then, after they've seen "In Stock" when they added to the cart?

I would agree that they need to revamp their system, but at the same time, it seems that most of the time, they don't need to deal with such demand, being that traditional sales used to be through carriers and online demand has been low, especially in recent years. If BlackBerry expects high sales rushes on an ongoing basis, then they should definitely find a new online vendor; otherwise, is it worth the cost with the volumes they normally deal with?
    10-15-14 01:47 PM
    It seems like the confirmations are automated, then once it goes to someone to ship, it's when the out of stock emails get generated.

How does the system you implemented deal with a rush of orders? Do you let everyone add to their cart and whoever completes payment first gets one? For the people who complete their payment info after stock has gone, do they get the "Out of Stock" then, after they've seen "In Stock" when they added to the cart?

I would agree that they need to revamp their system, but at the same time, it seems that most of the time, they don't need to deal with such demand, being that traditional sales used to be through carriers and online demand has been low, especially in recent years. If BlackBerry expects high sales rushes on an ongoing basis, then they should definitely find a new online vendor; otherwise, is it worth the cost with the volumes they normally deal with?
    I agree with you with the facts that I didn't manage high volume of orders and didn't experience a rush of orders. You got a point

I would be interesting to know how many devices were available for this last batch. I won't be surprised that "only" hundreds were available (I'm speaking for France). So, in this case, if the system cannot handle hundreds of orders and probably not in the same time, there's a real lack in Digital River system. Furthermore AZERTY keyboard is only used in France, so I guess there's a specific reference for this item.
    10-15-14 02:16 PM
27 12