Hey guys, I purchased my passport a couple of weeks ago from amazon US contract free. I live in Switzerland. I recently saw a few posts saying that a new update is out for the passport on some networks(10.3.0.1048, which I haven't received. Running 10.3.0.738 still). Considering that I am using a contract free phone, shouldn't I be getting these updates right away? Or is this an issue I am facing because I am in a different country? The blackberry support guys have been remarkably unhelpful, so much so for customer support -_-

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 01:20 AM
    The updates to your Passport is dependent on your carrier. If they don't push it you won't get it.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 01:36 AM
    The updates to your Passport is dependent on your carrier. If they don't push it you won't get it.

Posted via CB10
    Can't you just take out the sim and try to update?

Posted via CB10
    airbosn581 likes this.
    10-21-14 01:56 AM
    So you're saying that if Orange (switzerland) never introduces the passport here, I'll never get any updates?! :O

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 02:17 AM
    You wont receive updates automatically.

However this is where it gets technical, you can install an os from any carrier in the world provided you know the steps on how to install an
    os on your device.

I suggest looking through the os forum on crackberry to get more of an idea.

I use to install updates on BBOS7 and earlier phones.

Now having the Passport, im not sure if it would be kinda similar.
    10-21-14 02:34 AM
    So you're saying that if Orange (switzerland) never introduces the passport here, I'll never get any updates?! :O

Posted via CB10
    Since your phone is unlocked, the fastest way to get the latest version is simply to insert a sim from a carrier that you know to have the update. You can then update over wifi. The sim does not have to be activated or registered. You can even just borrow a friends sim card. No biggie. Or you can use an autoloader on PC or use Sachesi or use BlackBerry Link. Really not an issue at all.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    10-21-14 02:45 AM
    Since your phone is unlocked, the fastest way to get the latest version is simply to insert a sim from a carrier that you know to have the update. You can then update over wifi. The sim does not have to be activated or registered. You can even just borrow a friends sim card. No biggie. Or you can use an autoloader on PC or use Sachesi or use BlackBerry Link. Really not an issue at all.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    How can you use BlackBerry link to update to update the phone?
    I have the same problem as the initial post , stuck at 10.3.0.675 and BlackBerry link doesn't help at all..

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:39 AM
    I have the same issue, I am stuck at 10.3.0.675 and connecting the phone with the BlackBerry link doesn't help at all.. is autoloader the only solution?

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:45 AM
    All you need is sachesi. Or autoloader from CB

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=957892

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:49 AM
    If u know the provider and country where the update is available then u can use sachesi to look for that update and load on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 04:25 AM
    If u know the provider and country where the update is available then u can use sachesi to look for that update and load on your phone.

Posted via CB10
    Sachesi: Country 302 / Carrier 720 / Passport
    10-21-14 04:28 AM
  12. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Yeah I have same "problem" with my unlocked Passport here in tokyo that has NTT Docomo nano sim....

And the backup roger z30 has activated sim but it's not nano sim so I can't insert it into the Passport... will just wait for ntt docomo to release one day...

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 04:33 AM
    Sorry if my question is a bit too amateurish but how do I know if a particular autoloader is 'safe' for me to install? My passport is my daily driver so I can't afford it misbehaving.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 01:43 PM
    Whats that mean for us in the states? Why can't BlackBerry just push it to the phone, like apple or the google with the Nexus?
    10-21-14 02:06 PM
    I updated mine using Sachesi.
    But if you do not have a stomach for it, then wait for BB to release OTA.
    10-21-14 02:15 PM
    Whats that mean for us in the states? Why can't BlackBerry just push it to the phone, like apple or the google with the Nexus?
    Exactly. In my opinion if you sell an unlocked device you should provide updates directly to the buyers. That said, I'm certain Link updated my PP at least once.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 02:20 PM
    Ok, I'm confused...granted I'm not very smart, but still.

Like everyone else in the States I bought my PP unlocked (in my case, from Amazon). I thought one of the advantages to buying an unlocked phone is that you could just remove the SIM and get the newest updates directly from BB. Is that the case or do I have to find a SIM from Canada?

Thanks,
    10-21-14 02:31 PM
    Really good questions, I too believe that if you buy an unlocked phone directly from Blackberry or licensed reseller the updates should be provided via Wifi and Link by Blackberry.
    10-21-14 03:11 PM
    When I first receive my Passport, I did not put a sim because I have a micro sim and not a nano sim.
    I truned on the phone and after setting up WIFI, I got notification for software update.
    So it seems a sim is not necessary for the software update?
    anon(2026370) likes this.
    10-21-14 03:34 PM
    I looked for an update with my TMo card and (obviously) no update available.

Turned the PP off, took out the SIM and restarted and boom, 10.3.0.908 update available. Downloading it now.

So nice to get the update directly and not have to wait forever for the carrier to bloat it up and release it down the road.
    10-21-14 04:24 PM

Turned the PP off, took out the SIM and restarted and boom, 10.3.0.908 update available. Downloading it now.

So nice to get the update directly and not have to wait forever for the carrier to bloat it up and release it down the road.
    I didn't realize that you could do that. Thought you had to have a sim from a carrier that can push the update.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:02 PM
    I'm using a Passport on vodafone UK and no update with or without the sim card. So that trick didn't work for me...guess just have to wait for voda to push the update out in their sweet *** time.

Tried updating thru link but nada.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:25 PM
    When I first receive my Passport, I did not put a sim because I have a micro sim and not a nano sim.
    I truned on the phone and after setting up WIFI, I got notification for software update.
    So it seems a sim is not necessary for the software update?
    From my experience also, a sim is not required for an update. I just got my phone at noon today and I didn't have time to run out and get a Telus nano sim. I'm still running my Z10. I couldn't wait to play with it so I figured I would turn it on and just use wi-fi instead to test it out. During initial setup, it told me there was an update (~90 MB) so I installed it. I'm currently running 10.3.0.908/10.3.0.1418 which I'm pretty sure is the newest version.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:38 PM

It does not work for me.. on T-Mobile US. I have removed the SIM restarted but still I do not see the notification (I am checking with the software update button in the options)
    I am still running 10.3.0.738

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 06:18 PM
    I just received the update to 10.3.0.908/10.3.0.1418 via BB Link this afternoon. I'm in California on AT&T using an unlocked Passport purchased from Amazon. Have had it for 5 days. When I first received the device, it updated to 10.3.0.738/10.3.0.1154 via wifi without a sim card. Today, I had the device connected to Link and Link indicated that there was an update available. The AT&T sim is in the phone. Downloaded the update onto the phone via Link without any issue. Anyone know what's new with this update?
    10-21-14 06:36 PM
54 123