So can anyone confirm, is the passport going to have a new charging port rendering all my existing chargers, car chargers, USB on the go and HDMI cables useless?

Is there at least wifi charging to help make up for it?

That's a lot of money to replace. Enough to make me hesitant to drop all that coin on the device.

Hope it is not true and wondering about how the classic will handle that?

From my z30
    08-14-14 08:07 AM
    Considering the European move to a legislated standard (currently micro-USB) I don't expect BlackBerry to go non-standard at this time. It is unlikely your existing equipment will become obsolete within its expected lifetime.

MEPs push for common charger for all mobile phones
    08-14-14 08:19 AM
    The only manufacturer I know who does their own thing on cables is Apple, and it's their way or deal with it.
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    08-14-14 08:22 AM
    Why would you start such a rumor? Where did you hear such bullish? What is wifi charging?
    Last edited by BergerKing; 08-14-14 at 06:02 PM.
    08-14-14 08:23 AM
    Where did you hear this from?

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 08:34 AM
    wifi signals are not enough strong enough to carry an electrical charge.

if this the case, cell phone signals can be used to charge your phone wirelessly and then no one has to worry about any battery charging problems.
    08-14-14 09:07 AM

It isn't a standard micro USB shape. I do not even think that the larger side of a USB 3.0 cable is the same shape. All I know is that I want it.
    I think our current cables will work (hopefully) but I think that the port will work somehow to accommodate HDMI.
    witting likes this.
    08-14-14 09:11 AM
    08-14-14 09:16 AM
    Thank you! This is what I was talking about!

So not appears slimport technology will use existing port. But would love to confirm.

Also to those haters that accuse me of rumour mongering please note that you can understand my confusion with "slimport" technology and please note that wireless charging is a fact and actually supported on some z30 devices.

Moderator, can you please add slimport in my title as this was the term I was looking for.

EDIT: I meant so it appears...

From my z30
    Last edited by Elite1; 08-16-14 at 03:57 PM.
    08-14-14 10:44 AM
    Yeah, it uses Micro USB, and in the picture, I do see a micro USB port (upside down).
    08-14-14 11:13 AM
    That appears to be a micro-USB 3.0 port in the picture. It is a little larger but still supports all Micro-USB connectors. It will apparently also support HDMI through the same port, via slimport.
    08-14-14 11:25 AM
    Ouch, I just bought a premium charger for passport. Damnit

BlackBerry Z10 10.2.1.3175
    08-14-14 11:52 AM
    So wait, what are the facts then?

That this is a Micro USB port that supports Slimport? Therefore no mini hdmi out port will be necessary?

Some other guy says it is Micro USB 3.0 but I don't think it looks like that: Galaxy Note 3 first phone to feature ugly new Micro USB 3 port | The Verge
    08-14-14 12:13 PM
    Wireless charging =/= wifi charging.

Wireless charging just means that a magnetic field is generated by some device under your phone that induces an electrical current in the phone and charges it.

How a wifi signal could move electrons is beyond me.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor and CerveloJohn like this.
    08-14-14 12:18 PM
    Wireless charging =/= wifi charging.

Wireless charging just means that a magnetic field is generated by some device under your phone that induces an electrical current in the phone and charges it.

How a wifi signal could move electrons is beyond me.

Posted via CB10
    Yes thank you, I meant wireless and corrected that in my comments.

So to be honest I'm still not clear on whether I can use my standard charging cords? I'm thinking yes.

Bla1ze??

From my z30
    08-14-14 01:06 PM
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil...efinition_Link

I believe this is what the passport has... MHL.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-14 01:31 PM
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil...efinition_Link

I believe this is what the passport has... MHL.

Posted via CB10
    Don't think so..

SlimPort is a proprietary alternative to MHL, based on the DisplayPort standard integrated into common microUSB ports. SlimPort is offered both license and royalty free, and supports up to 1080p60 or 1080p30 with 3D content over HDMI 1.4 (up to 5.4 Gbit/s of bandwidth), in addition to support for DVI, VGA (up to 1366�768 and 720p at 60�Hz), and DisplayPort.

Like MHL, SlimPort does not require external power or extra cables and draws no power from the source to operate.

From my z30
    08-14-14 02:42 PM
    Micro USB 3. Same port. It will change once USB 4 comes out, when USB will have ports that can be placed reversible like the lightning port, but this spec just went to OEM's last week- don't expect to see it on this generation of devices.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 07:00 AM
    Micro USB 3. Same port. It will change once USB 4 comes out, when USB will have ports that can be placed reversible like the lightning port, but this spec just went to OEM's last week- don't expect to see it on this generation of devices.

Posted via CB10
    Great thank you! But can u confirm..can I charge my future phones ie passport with my existing chargers?

From my z30
    08-15-14 07:58 AM
    Great thank you! But can u confirm..can I charge my future phones ie passport with my existing chargers?

From my z30
    For the love of god, yes, you can. Can we end this thread now? Regardless if the port is MHL or SlimPort enabled it connects via a standard micro USB connector.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Paisley Pirate likes this.
    08-15-14 08:23 AM
    As far as I understand it is a straight forward micro USB OTG port.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 08:26 AM
    For the love of god, yes, you can. Can we end this thread now? Regardless if the port is MHL or SlimPort enabled it connects via a standard micro USB connector.

You are the only one that actually answered the question

So can I use my standard micro HDMI cables to hook up to a TV too then?

Sorry post not done just yet

From my z30
    08-15-14 09:16 AM
    I think there is still confusion.

Does the Passport have a micro HDMI out port?

Or is it MHL or Slimport? The cables on eBay for MHL to HDMI all seem to have an extra wire needed for power. Does the power cable need to be hooked up for the audio/video to pass to the tv? Or is that just there if you want to charge the phone whilst watching the video/audio?
    08-15-14 10:46 AM
    You are the only one that actually answered the question

So can I use my standard micro HDMI cables to hook up to a TV too then?

Sorry post not done just yet

From my z30
    No, you cannot. In order to connect an HDMI cable you need a SlimPort to HDMI adapter.

I strongly recommend not buying one until you have the device in-hand and are able to verify the configuration.

Paisley Pirate and Elite1 like this.
    08-15-14 10:51 AM
    I think there is still confusion.

Does the Passport have a mini HDMI out port?

Or is it MHL or Slimport? The cables on eBay for MHL to HDMI all seem to have an extra wire needed for power. Does the power cable need to be hooked up for the audio/video to pass to the tv? Or is that just there if you want to charge the phone whilst watching the video/audio?
    I think you buy a slimport adapter which has the micro USB on one end and then the other end has a HDMI plug in. Once it is streaming media it is also charging your device. All in one.?

From my z30
    08-15-14 10:54 AM
43 12