Hi, so I just got my passport last Monday and I've been so excited about this!!

I got most of my apps working (both android and bb10.3). However I'm very concern about the contact system here. I mean it's so great I can sync contacts and pull them off from different sources. But it's also my big problem now.

I managed to disable facebook to show contacts. But idk why every time I create new contact, it will duplicate, sometimes I see 3 same contacts, some with less detail.

Hope somebody can help me with this issue.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-22-16 07:06 AM
    Update:

After I used device switch and transfer all my contacts to new device, there are lot of them are duplicated (some are duplicated 3 - 4 times). If I enable show contacts for Facebook as well, it will be a disaster in my contact list.

Is there any way to clean up ur contact list, for example merging same contacts or mass delete them, or my only option is to delete them one by one?

Also is there a reason for the phone to keep duplicate contacts? Is there anyway to top it from doing so?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 09:11 AM
    So... No experts are able to help me out with this?

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 06:58 PM
    You can link your contacts from several different sources, e.g. local, Sim, fb, linkedin, etc...they will then be merged under one unique contact will all the corresponding information. The Link button is at the bottom right of the contact's entry. You'll also be able to pick which picture you want to be displayed.

Alternatively I came came across this forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ntacts-768240/

Sent from the pure awesomeness of my  Passport SE on the Rogers network. Excuse the typos.
    Jrox74 likes this.
    06-22-16 08:26 PM
    You can link your contacts from several different sources, e.g. local, Sim, fb, linkedin, etc...they will then be merged under one unique contact will all the corresponding information. The Link button is at the bottom right of the contact's entry. You'll also be able to pick which picture you want to be displayed.

Alternatively I came came across this forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ntacts-768240/

Sent from the pure awesomeness of my  Passport SE on the Rogers network. Excuse the typos.
    Hey man thanks a lot for ur response. As we speak I'm doing it now. However this method is very time consuming since I have like over 1000 contacts...

Is there an alternative way to do this? Is there an explanation why contacts is duplicate? Can I stop the duplications from happening in the future?

Kind regards,

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 08:56 PM
    One obvious reason I see is if for example you have two contacts with identical first and last name but who are different individuals. If it merges them automatically it would be confusing. As far as I remember, when I switched devices from Z10 to PPSE or transferred my contact from my Passport to my secondary Classic device all the merges were kept without duplicating. I used the device switch app which transferred everything seemingly from contacts, calendar, etc...now this is only based on my limited experience. And I agree that going over 1000 contacts one after the other is a bummer but at least you should have to scroll too much as duplicate names should be next to each other. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your device at least as much as I enjoy mine.

06-22-16 09:08 PM
    Yea I see what you mean. Unfortunately my contacts are definitely duplicated so 2 different people with the same contact isn't the case here.

I also used device switch to get all my contacts from my previous iphone. But hey I fell in love with the passport ages ago, before the SE version came out. And I've been excited about this phone once I got it and still love it very much as I'm typing this post. I wouldn't mind going thru the entire contact list at all lol, time to clean out unnecessary contacts as well.

Just wish I have more time... lol
    Thank you very much for ur help. Much appreciated

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 09:17 PM
    Maybe you are linking contacts from different emails you added while setting up your Passport. You may do so by assigning one email only to show your contacts eg Outlook (which is known better than GMail - bcoz it sucks). Then for the rest of your email toggle off contacts. Then your set to go! Good luck and congrats
    06-22-16 11:08 PM
    Hello,

I presume you have viber on your phone?

I had the very same problem and it turned out it was viber causing it. Delete your contacts, un install viber. Then install a fresh copy of it and then add your contacts.

That helped me.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 02:21 AM
    I had this issue when I tried to have all my various online email and other contact lists (Gmail, ymail etc) sync with my phone's. Now I only have sync with one and all's well.

To do an initial clean up, I merged duplicates, deleted etc on one online account (a lot easier online). Then sync just the one or export to others I may wish to update. In the end I simply sync one contact list. I have considered not syncing at all after cleaning up and letting my BlackBerry be the control point. Hate sharing my contact info with all these data miners but there are some conveniences. Jury still out on this. As my BlackBerry takes over just about every aspect of communication,especially with Blend, this makes more and more sense for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 09:31 AM
    Had this issue several times. I first transferred all contacts from my 9900 to P9982. That went perfect. Some contacts linked, others not. 1049 total. When I moved them to my P9983 I ended up with nearly double the number of contacts: the second one being name only but blank everything else. Only lone Linked In and Facebook contacts -ie without local entry- did not duplicate. Had to manually delete all. In the process I found merged contacts that were not related- similar nickname etc. Then I transferred to Passport SE all went fine initially but after a few days found over 2000 contacts. Again only names but no numbers or email ie blank. Had to do it all manually again . Even now when I create a new contact in the Passport or P9993 I get a blank duplicate after a few days. This never occurs in the P9982. My wife has the same with her classic. Seems it is only withe the keyboard phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-16 05:05 PM
    I just sorted my contact list manually. Took time but it's worth the shot

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 09:56 PM
    I just sorted my contact list manually. Took time but it's worth the shot

Posted via CB10
    Post #8 and #10 are the usual reasons for duplicate contacts. How many email accounts do you have and what are they? You will probably have to "un-sync" some of them to avoid this problem in the future.
    06-26-16 10:49 PM
    Found an old thread from 2014.
    It was viber.
    Open Viber. Go to settings>general>sync contacts and disable that.
    Viber puts it's contacts in your contact folder after it creates them from your contact folder!
    Then open the contact app and scroll till you see the number of contacts, and enjoy watching the figure just decrease.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-16 04:09 PM