Security wipe leaves the OS intact, autoloader loads everything from scratch.

I still have a couple of reboots each week. At random times, sometimes when the phone is in bedside mode at night, sometimes when I'm using the device. I suspect some bad memory handling when an app is minimised (not neccesarily android). But it's to random to reproduce.

But hey, I've used windows 95 and also had a couple of freezes with windows 8.1 this week wich costed me more than the 30 seconds a reboot from my passport cost me.
    11-07-15 02:42 AM
    I did Blackberry Link reset on Sunday night, so far I haven't installed any applications or transferred any data to the phone, other than my contacts that came over via Gmail sync. Fingers crossed that this helps the problem.

I'll try the autoloader next time maybe. The problem is I don't have access to a PC or Mac that can run Blackberry Link, so it's a bit of a PITA for me to go use a friend's machine.
    11-09-15 01:16 PM
    I did Blackberry Link reset on Sunday night, so far I haven't installed any applications or transferred any data to the phone, other than my contacts that came over via Gmail sync. Fingers crossed that this helps the problem.

I'll try the autoloader next time maybe. The problem is I don't have access to a PC or Mac that can run Blackberry Link, so it's a bit of a PITA for me to go use a friend's machine.
    Just curious. Without access to a PC or a Mac, how did you reset using BlackBerry Link?

Anyway, maybe the Link reset will do it. I think that's equivalent to using an autoloader. If the reboots stop, then it's not the hardware, per se, unless there's a hardware defect that manifests itself with certain apps or calls to the memory. I've had that happen in the past on computers, where the physical memory was corrupt and showed up only with some operations. I had to replace the memory. In this case you would have to replace the device.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-15 02:28 PM
    Just an update on this issue.

I have had no spontaneous reboots on this device (Passport SE, 10.3.2.2789) for 4 weeks now, running all sorts of Android apps, updates from Google Play Store, etc. I have no explanation for this bit of good luck. The last thing I did about 4 weeks ago was to remove the Grann app at someone's suggestion, even though I never used that app. Otherwise, I've made no major changes, no restores, not OS upgrades (nothing to upgrade to these days), no changes in my email or wifi configurations.

I'm fairly well convinced at this point that the reboots on my device were not a purely hardware issue, which is not to rule out something calling a defective area of memory or something like that, which apparently isn't happening any longer.

@northsixty, since you reset your device with Link a few days ago, have you had any further reboots?
    dusanvn likes this.
    11-11-15 10:45 PM
    Thanks for the update. I had a very similar experience. All good now

Posted using Silver PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    11-12-15 01:21 AM
    @northsixty, since you reset your device with Link a few days ago, have you had any further reboots?
    Even worse... My phone rebooted and then froze on the restart and would no longer boot. This was last Monday, my wife had just been admitted to hospital and the phone was absolutely critical for me to keep in touch with family, friends and work. I was stuck without that lifeline for almost a whole day.

I did a full wipe again with Link, my phone is running better. Still getting restarts but not as bad as it was. You can bet I'm sending a letter to some people once I get home.

The good news is I'm the father of a healthy baby boy. That's all that matters.
    bigjman and geekaren like this.
    11-15-15 06:01 PM
    I barely managed to type and save all that before this thing rebooted.
    11-15-15 06:06 PM
    I barely managed to type and save all that before this thing rebooted.
    @northsixty, congrats on the new baby. That is what counts, for sure. Hope everything is good with your baby and wife.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way around the phone problem other than a replacement. Are you still within the year warranty period?

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 06:29 PM
    Even worse... My phone rebooted and then froze on the restart and would no longer boot. This was last Monday, my wife had just been admitted to hospital and the phone was absolutely critical for me to keep in touch with family, friends and work. I was stuck without that lifeline for almost a whole day.

I did a full wipe again with Link, my phone is running better. Still getting restarts but not as bad as it was. You can bet I'm sending a letter to some people once I get home.

Sorry for the reboots but congratulations on the lil 1!

Posted via CB10
    11-15-15 07:35 PM
    @northsixty, congrats on the new baby. That is what counts, for sure. Hope everything is good with your baby and wife.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way around the phone problem other than a replacement. Are you still within the year warranty period?
    Thanks!

Yes, most definitely within warranty. Unfortunately I've been getting the runaround between Crackberry (where I bought it) and Blackberry and I just haven't had the time to fight with those guys to make somebody take ownership of my problem. Also I'm worried about being without a phone for a long time if I send it back, especially with a new baby I can't really afford to be out of touch.
    11-16-15 12:16 PM
    Thanks!

Yes, most definitely within warranty. Unfortunately I've been getting the runaround between Crackberry (where I bought it) and Blackberry and I just haven't had the time to fight with those guys to make somebody take ownership of my problem. Also I'm worried about being without a phone for a long time if I send it back, especially with a new baby I can't really afford to be out of touch.
    I don't know about Crackberry sales--never dealt with them--but in all these years I've never had to return a phone and wait for a replacement.

You have to get someone on the phone or an online chat, rather than email (better the phone call), but the seller almost always agrees, within the warranty period, to send a new or refurbished phone, take your credit card info but not necessarily charge you at the time, and say that they have to get the old phone back within a week or so or else they will charge you for the new phone.
    11-16-15 01:37 PM
    Congrats. Well at least the phone kept you not dealing with the outside world and you could spend that quality and memorable time with your family

On a separate note, I have had two reboots since the time I bought it (on release). I hope you get yours sorted. Mine was to do with Android apps and data I restored. Starting fresh without any restore resolved it for me.

Posted using Silver PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    11-16-15 03:01 PM
    I hope I don't jinx myself by posting this:

Passport Silver Edition freezes and rebooting, what should I do?-img_20151119_181559.jpg

I've never gone through a whole day before without a reboot, nevermind four days. Nothing has changed as far as I know.
    dusanvn likes this.
    11-20-15 12:31 AM
    I hope I don't jinx myself by posting this:

I've never gone through a whole day before without a reboot, nevermind four days. Nothing has changed as far as I know.
    Same here, pretty much for the past month no spontaneous reboots. No explanation. Last boot time was a week ago and I did that one myself. I figured yours was a hardware issue and mine a software problem, but at this point I just don't know.

Passport Silver Edition freezes and rebooting, what should I do?-img_20151120_102312.png

Posted via CB10
    11-20-15 10:27 AM
    Argh. It lasted about a week but then it rebooted itself and now back to the old tricks. Besides rebooting, I'm also having other problems like garbled audio through the headphones, can't stream online radio stations and being unable to log in to tumblr.com.

I think I've tried everything I can possibly think of, now gotta go fight with people to get some support / a new phone.
    11-26-15 05:01 PM
    Argh. It lasted about a week but then it rebooted itself and now back to the old tricks. Besides rebooting, I'm also having other problems like garbled audio through the headphones, can't stream online radio stations and being unable to log in to tumblr.com.

I think I've tried everything I can possibly think of, now gotta go fight with people to get some support / a new phone.
    Yes, you have a major hardware problem. Good luck with CB service.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-15 07:16 PM
    I have had my passport SE for 4 months and i have not experienced any radom reboots . It has been working without a glitch. Os version 10.3.2.2474 .Perfect so far...

  
    11-27-15 03:14 AM
    Am about to get a SE this Sunday and after reading this thread it might not be Hardware related?

Do any of you remember the Tech Buffalo site problem on the Z10 where you clicked a link and the device rebooted? I thought it was BS, promptly went to the site clicked the link and my phone rebooted:-)

Anyway does anyone use ONLY BlackBerry apps and is still having reboots? On their SE

I have never used snap, cobalt or anything like this and only use BBW apps and am wondering is all?

Regards David

Digicel STL100-1 10.3.2.2474
    11-27-15 06:35 AM
    Anyway does anyone use ONLY BlackBerry apps and is still having reboots? On their SE

I have never used snap, cobalt or anything like this and only use BBW apps and am wondering is all?
    I've tried everything, including running a fresh OS install with nothing restored and no apps installed other than the ones that come with the phone. Even took out the SIM card and SD card. It didn't help. Most of my reboots happen when composing messages in the hub or when using the browser.

I use very few apps on my phone anyways, 95% of what I do is messages, browser, Twitter, Facebook.
    11-27-15 02:27 PM
    Just to add to the statistics....i have this problem and have done since day one... minimum of 2 reboots every 24 hours, one during use at various times of the day no pattern, and nearly always one over night when not in use.

I'm sending this (amazon) one back and bought a shop BlackBerry replacement...

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE
    03-31-16 12:41 AM
    I have had countless reboots, regardless of the firmware that I have installed. Sometimes, when you start whatsapp, sometimes when you open Blackberry World ... Sometimes when I simply unlock the screen.
    I tried absolutely everything mentioned in all threads that I found: Do not install Android apps not insert any MicroSD, I have tried almost all firmware versions available and yet was still ongoing and sporadically reboots.
    I not openly suggest anyone to try what I tried, just mention my specific case because I solved this annoying problem.
    I opened the back cover of my Passport SE, I unscrewed the motherboard, I've retired (only about 6 Torx screws), I have isolated the battery connector (as manufactured, is making contact on one of the modules of the motherboard ), I removed the camera module and finally, I reinstalled everything again.
    Unfortunately as I have removed and reinstalled everything, I can not identify exactly what the problem was, but I can assure you that I have not had another reboot since.
    It is likely that some of the 5 connectors that are mounted to the motherboard had been making poor contact, or perhaps the motherboard was wrong and making ground mounted on the metal surface which supports the motherboard ...
    Mixed feelings ... I would have liked to bring the exact solution of mention, but I honestly do not know which of the above items was the problem.
    I have seen that the assembly of the components in this device is very prone to failure, because it has too many contact pins that depend on a meticulous assembly so that all are perfectly working.
    Also, for example, the back cover has attached a small rubber bumpers that press on the connectors when the device is finally assembled.
    I have removed since, before assembling everything again, I had the device for 24 hours without the back cover, testing all kind of android apps to force a failure (facebook, facebook messenger, jetaudio plus), and I noticed that without the back cover in place, the device no longer failed more.
    I do not know if those rubber bumpers make pressure on the connectors and cause the problem. Just know that without them, to have the back cover removed, the device worked perfectly. That is why I have ripped off.
    I repeat, I am not suggesting that anyone without basic knowledge proceed as I did.
    In my case, I live in a South American country without BlackBerry support to be able to order a replacement device.
    Since I did this, and 8 days have passed, I have reinstalled the same versions of firmware with the device failed previously, and I have not had another reboot.
    I strongly believe that reboots are due to a failure in the assembly of the device, rather than a hardware problem. The fact that fail sporadically without a specific reason, confirms what I say.

Those who have dismantled the device, you can see all the pins I have mentioned, and how important is a meticulous re-assembly, so that everything works perfectly.
    04-02-16 10:50 AM
    My device has the same issue

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 08:31 PM
    Is there a solution to this problem anyone?
    07-05-16 02:41 PM
    New device. Believed to be hardware related

Posted via CB10 - 9900 -Playbook- Q10 - Passport SE (1) - Passport SE (2)
    07-06-16 01:09 AM
    Hello everyone, I decided to order the Passport SE. the first one I had to return very fast, maybe a day into using it, because it had screen lifting on the top right corner.

The second one, it has that reboot issue. It randomly reboots, sometimes twice a day. Sometimes it hangs inside the app, like a crashed app but I am still able to close the app. But mostly it randomly reboots. I am into a week of using it and unfortunately the second one will have to go back.

Also, the back has some creaks and the key P has a different click or lack of it, it feels like it double clicks. It's sad that BlackBerry never addressed these issues and just keeps selling defective units, I hope they will refund my money. Kind of lost hope in BlackBerry, I had a Curve, Q5, Z30, Z30 for my wife, and a Classic (using it now), all no problems.
    10-09-16 08:53 PM
102 ... 2345