I think there's already another thread on this topic
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issue-1039323/

I hard a couple of reboots when I did a restore. I haven't experienced any reboots for a month now.

Posted using Silver PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    I was hoping a mod could combine the two threads.

Meanwhile, no further word from BlackBerry support, and no reboots for me in two days.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 01:40 PM
    I'm not in a position to check my manufacture place. But these seem to be the commonalities between us

Place of Manufacture : Mexico 6
    Use of Android Apps : Yes

Not sure if the latter is connected as most BlackBerry users are technically proficient people who install android.

I suppose the test is running the SE without Android Apps. But if that does solve the problem and an OS update fix is not forthcoming. Then I like many others might just need to get rid of the SE anyway, because getting rid of Android apps we need is no solution!

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 05:54 PM
    Any one have the screen glitch then go black for about 5 seconds and just keeps doing it over and over its weird because I was trying to record my daughters play it kept recording but when I went to look at the video the video was doing exactly what the phone was doing I have wiped the phone 3 times now just now got it to come back on I wish I knew what was going on this sucks

Posted via CB10
    10-21-15 08:50 PM
    I have had no freezes today.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 05:07 AM
    After sending an email had a reboot but was also using a Android app for chat. I read that the Android Runtime on the passport is now getting very dated and I remember having freezes on an android phone I owned before...
    10-23-15 04:46 PM
    10-23-15 04:47 PM
    After sending an email had a reboot but was also using a Android app for chat. I read that the Android Runtime on the passport is now getting very dated and I remember having freezes on an android phone I owned before...
    I've had no freezes for about a week. All I did was to remove iGrann (someone suggested that, and I never used it anyway) and a couple other Android apps I hardly ever used. Cause and effect? Who knows?

Meanwhile, BB Support called me back yesterday on my support ticket and said to use Link to reinstall the OS cleanly, don't restore /anything/, and see if the reboots stopped. I asked them if they had looked at all the logs I had sent, and the guy said, no, he was still first level support, and this is what the analysts said to do, that they would only look at the logs /after/ I had done a clean install of the latest OS with no restore. Funny thing is, he was going to have me do this install before warning me to back everything up first. I told him that I had had no reboots in 6 days (at that point), and wasn't going to go through a clean install unless I had another reboot.

As for the Android Runtime getting dated, and/or Android apps having something to do with these reboots, I suspect you are correct. That's why I was hoping BB would look at the logs to see if they could determine what was going on at the time of the reboots. Meanwhile, I think it's going to be difficult figuring out what is causing them--just trial and error, I suppose. But I'm more and more convinced that it is a software issue as opposed to a hardware issue in most cases (unless you see sparks, like one CBer here did), given the patterns of the reboots and the intermittency of them.

If I can go on the average a week at a time with no reboots, that's probably acceptable, given that it's less trouble than I have with my regular laptop computer.
    10-23-15 05:10 PM
    Here another passport se owner with random reboots. There is no pattern in it. I had it when using the CB app, had it using the browser, had it at night in bedtime mode. I use Android apps and I used a complete backup (including android apps) to move my stuff from my previous passport OG. Also have Cobalts android apps installed. My wife moved from a Q10 to my previous passport with the same procedures and doesn't have any isues.

Paspoort
    10-24-15 01:31 AM
    I wonder if turning off all "run when minimised" permissions for android apps makes a difference?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 07:22 AM
    Here another passport se owner with random reboots. There is no pattern in it. I had it when using the CB app, had it using the browser, had it at night in bedtime mode. I use Android apps and I used a complete backup (including android apps) to move my stuff from my previous passport OG. Also have Cobalts android apps installed. My wife moved from a Q10 to my previous passport with the same procedures and doesn't have any isues.

Paspoort
    Try reloading the OS through BlackBerry Link.
    Link --> Preferences at top --> Reload

Note that it'll wipe your device though.

I had auto-restart issues on my previous SE and this was one of the troubleshooting steps suggested by BlackBerry tech support.

Posted via CB10
    KenV54 likes this.
    10-24-15 10:36 AM
    Try reloading the OS through BlackBerry Link.
    Link --> Preferences at top --> Reload

Note that it'll wipe your device though.

I had auto-restart issues on my previous SE and this was one of the troubleshooting steps suggested by BlackBerry tech support.

Posted via CB10
    Likewise, here, as described a few posts back. Sure, that's one way to do it but leaves unanswered the question of what is causing these reboots. That's why I wanted BlackBerry support to look at the logs I submitted after each reboot. But they wouldn't bother. Too much work, I guess. What if we could find one or two apps or configurations that reproduced the problem and addressed them?

Posted via CB10
    10-24-15 10:44 AM
    had my first reboot oh boy, I did a wipe of the phone last night. I only had the phone a few days.
    I didn't get reboots before that wipe. I will try to load the os from BB link and see what happens,
    I don't think the security wipe cleans as good as a reload.?
    10-26-15 04:25 PM
    had my first reboot oh boy, I did a wipe of the phone last night. I only had the phone a few days.
    I didn't get reboots before that wipe. I will try to load the os from BB link and see what happens,
    I don't think the security wipe cleans as good as a reload.?
    I think the OS reload is supposed to be a better/cleaner wipe.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 05:50 PM
    Likewise, here, as described a few posts back. Sure, that's one way to do it but leaves unanswered the question of what is causing these reboots. That's why I wanted BlackBerry support to look at the logs I submitted after each reboot. But they wouldn't bother. Too much work, I guess. What if we could find one or two apps or configurations that reproduced the problem and addressed them?

Posted via CB10
    I'm certain this is a Passport SE issue.
    I'm have a white Passport now and have not experienced this issue with the identical apps (and more) on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 05:52 PM
    I think the OS reload is supposed to be a better/cleaner wipe.

Posted via CB10
    just tried reload through BB link got an error now I'm really screwed blinking red red light two time I tried it and gets to the end with an error anybody at blackberry working on this junk blackberry link.
    10-26-15 06:52 PM
    I'm certain this is a Passport SE issue.
    I'm have a white Passport now and have not experienced this issue with the identical apps (and more) on my phone.

Posted via CB10
    I'm trying to draw the distinction between a purely hardware issue and a software-hardware interaction problem.

Two Passports ago I and a couple others here had a Bluetooth connection problem with our OG Passports. It became apparent that that was a pure hardware problem. No amount of wiping and clean reloading of various OS versions could solve it. I returned my PP to Amazon, got a new one, restored everything, and guess what? Bluetooth connections all worked, all the time.

When the OG Passport first came out with OS 10.1.x.x. as I recall, everyone was getting reboots. We were all sure it was a hardware problem, but once 10.2 came out, the reboots stopped. I may have the versions wrong--someone here may recall the exact sequence. In any case, that was an OS software-hardware interaction problem.

There have been examples of certain Android apps or combinations of apps crashing or rebooting various BlackBerry phones, although I can't come up with the specific examples.

In my case, with the SE I'm on right now, I was having random but fairly frequent reboots. I got rid of some Android apps, updated others to their latest versions, and stopped running a couple headless apps. I have no idea if any of this had anything to do with the fact that I've had no spontaneous reboots in over 10 days (the screen shot shows a boot time of a week ago, but that was a hard reboot I did after deleting some files). I suspect, though, that if there were a pure hardware issue, it would still be rebooting.

Now, maybe there is a hardware issue with some SE Passports that only occurs with certain apps or combinations, and that these same apps or combinations don't cause reboots on a OG Passport. The hardware in the OG and SE devices is supposed to be the same, but maybe there are slight differences in the chips or circuits or something that accounts for the different behavior of the two devices. I wish BlackBerry Support would have looked at the submitted logs, as I asked them to do, but they didn't. They just wanted me to do a fresh OS install with no restore, which I refused to do. And I /may/ have solved the problem anyway, at least for now.
    Passport Silver Edition freezes and rebooting, what should I do?-img_20151026_210205.png

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 09:23 PM
    Hasn't happened to my SE. Must be limited issue for a few lemons.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-15 09:47 PM
    . The hardware in the OG and SE devices is supposed to be the same, but maybe there are slight differences in the chips or circuits or something that accounts for the different behavior of the two devices.
    Good Evening to all

I was just about to purchase the SE before I ran into this thread. Considering the hardware on the SE and OG are the same, is there any reason not to get the OG at this point? I had heard that the OG was not as rigid as the SE and therefore it could bend if you put pressure on it (e.g. sitting on it while in your back pocket) and also, that it could have screen issues? I am also outside of the U.S, and returning it would be next to impossible. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    10-26-15 10:14 PM
    Good Evening to all

I was just about to purchase the SE before I ran into this thread. Considering the hardware on the SE and OG are the same, is there any reason not to get the OG at this point? I had heard that the OG was not as rigid as the SE and therefore it could bend if you put pressure on it (e.g. sitting on it while in your back pocket) and also, that it could have screen issues? I am also outside of the U.S, and returning it would be next to impossible. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    If I were outside of the US with no good way to return a device, and if I didn't already have a Passport, I'd wait a couple weeks and see what people say about the Priv reliability, unless you greatly prefer the design of the PP to the Priv. Sounds as though the Priv with Android is going to have most if not all the functionality of the PP with OS 10, plus a fully functioning Android.

But to answer your question about OG vs SE, both have had reported screen problems, and I don't think the rigidity differences make much practical difference. I prefer the design of the SE over the OG. There is probably an equal chance of defects on both models.

Posted via CB10
    Fernando Martin likes this.
    10-26-15 10:35 PM
    Good Evening to all

For most people, I'd probably say get the SE and just keep an eye out for the potential auto-restart issue. However, since you're not in the US, I would say don't get the SE and stick with the original Passport.

I got 2 SEs both had auto-restart issues, then I bought a white Passport and I haven't experienced this issue.

Posted via CB10
    Fernando Martin likes this.
    10-27-15 02:11 AM
    For most people, I'd probably say get the SE and just keep an eye out for the potential auto-restart issue. However, since you're not in the US, I would say don't get the SE and stick with the original Passport.

I got 2 SEs both had auto-restart issues, then I bought a white Passport and I haven't experienced this issue.

Posted via CB10
    The OG has 1260 reviews with an average of 4 and a half stars on Amazon. It�s a no brainer.
    10-27-15 10:48 AM
    The OG has 1260 reviews with an average of 4 and a half stars on Amazon. It�s a no brainer.
    I would say that getting a Passport is a no brainer, but not necessarily getting the OG over the SE. I had a major problem with Bluetooth connections--a hardware, not software issue--with one of my OG Passports. there were others here who also had that problem with the OG. I got it through Amazon and there was no problem returning it. The point is that the OG isn't necessarily problem free, either. And again, the question of what is causing the freezing and/or rebooting of the SE is still up in the air. As I've said here, the OG had a similar problem with an older OS version and with my SE it hasn't rebooted spontaneously in 11 days now. Everything that goes wrong with any computer, whether it's a desktop or a laptop or a phone device, has to be sorted out as to whether it's pure hardware, pure software, or some sort of bad interaction between the two. In the case of the SE and rebooting, it still isn't clear that it's pure hardware.

Having had both the OG and the SE, my vote is still for the SE, but that is personal preference.

Also, you said it was difficult for you to return stuff, being outside the US, but if you get it from Amazon, don't they make it easy?
    10-27-15 01:06 PM
    I would say that getting a Passport is a no brainer, but not necessarily getting the OG over the SE. I had a major problem with Bluetooth connections--a hardware, not software issue--with one of my OG Passports. there were others here who also had that problem with the OG. I got it through Amazon and there was no problem returning it. The point is that the OG isn't necessarily problem free, either. And again, the question of what is causing the freezing and/or rebooting of the SE is still up in the air. As I've said here, the OG had a similar problem with an older OS version and with my SE it hasn't rebooted spontaneously in 11 days now. Everything that goes wrong with any computer, whether it's a desktop or a laptop or a phone device, has to be sorted out as to whether it's pure hardware, pure software, or some sort of bad interaction between the two. In the case of the SE and rebooting, it still isn't clear that it's pure hardware.

Having had both the OG and the SE, my vote is still for the SE, but that is personal preference.

Also, you said it was difficult for you to return stuff, being outside the US, but if you get it from Amazon, don't they make it easy?
    Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to purchase the SE, however, I live in Argentina. I am having a traveler from the U.S. bring it to me so I have to decide quickly. Since it is not known whether the problem with the SE is hardware or software, I am not willing to gamble. As far as returns are concerned, I am sure I could return it. The replacement might be a problem. Do you think ordering the OG from BB directly would produce a fresher product than ordering from Amazon?
    10-27-15 04:10 PM
    Under normal circumstances, I would be inclined to purchase the SE, however, I live in Argentina. I am having a traveler from the U.S. bring it to me so I have to decide quickly. Since it is not known whether the problem with the SE is hardware or software, I am not willing to gamble. As far as returns are concerned, I am sure I could return it. The replacement might be a problem. Do you think ordering the OG from BB directly would produce a fresher product than ordering from Amazon?
    I don't know exactly what the replacement problem is for you in Argentina--is it a matter of Customs charges (or corruption, maybe, that you have to pay off the Customs people to import anything--we have friends from Buenos Aires who have told us about that)?

I don't think there's a difference between the devices or their "freshness" whether you get it from Amazon or ShopBlackberry. But in terms of customer service, I would always go with Amazon. The only reason I bought my SE from ShopBlackberry was that it came with a promotion of $150 in accessories for free at the time. Fortunately I had little problem with the order (it was delayed by a few days--there's always something) from ShopBlackberry, but I would want to be dealing with SB from Argentina. There's no promotion now, Amazon has good prices, and is completely reliable in my experience, so I would get it from Amazon through your friends.
    10-27-15 04:35 PM
    I don't know exactly what the replacement problem is for you in Argentina--is it a matter of Customs charges (or corruption, maybe, that you have to pay off the Customs people to import anything--we have friends from Buenos Aires who have told us about that)?
    shopblackberry does not ship the passport to Argentina. Amazon will, however, I don�t want to risk not getting my item. It could get lost if you know what I mean.

I don't think there's a difference between the devices or their "freshness" whether you get it from Amazon or ShopBlackberry. But in terms of customer service, I would always go with Amazon. The only reason I bought my SE from ShopBlackberry was that it came with a promotion of $150 in accessories for free at the time. Fortunately I had little problem with the order (it was delayed by a few days--there's always something) from ShopBlackberry, but I would want to be dealing with SB from Argentina. There's no promotion now, Amazon has good prices, and is completely reliable in my experience, so I would get it from Amazon through your friends.
    thanks for the info.
    10-27-15 04:51 PM
102 1234 ...