Hello, had my SE for about two weeks and straight away updated to BB 10.3.2.2474. But I have had a couple of freezes then a reboot when typing emails or on Skype, very annoying. Is this the OS or something else?
    10-17-15 05:31 PM
    See the other thread, Passport SE self restart. The Moderator may want to merge this thread with that one.

Yes, it's a known issue with the SE. I've been working with BlackBerry Support for about a week, submitting logs, giving them info, etc. It's a slow and frustrating process with them. They are saying now that it must be the hardware because they can't see anything else causing it, but it's still under review. BlackBerry, I suspect, is about to send me a replacement SE, which I'm not sure I want, for several reasons. One, if it's hardware related, many if not most of the SEs seem to have this problem, so I may go through the process of setting up a new phone again only to have it keep happening. Two, the restarting is random and infrequent, and I have no other issues with the SE, like the raised screen or keyboard that others have reported. Better the devil you know.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 05:49 PM
    I went through 2 Passport SE's before giving up. I had never had to return a device for warranty or defects until I bought the SE and I had to do it twice. I suspect it is hardware related since I experienced the same issue over 2 different devices and on .2226 and .2474. Daily hard reports, and a couple factory resets couldn't fix the issue.

The first device, I literally heard a spark like something shorted out internally during the first auto-restart and it only got progressively worse from there. Both devices I experienced auto-restarts within 2-3 days of owning the device so I suspect they were faulty out of the box. I also bought both devices from the same vendor, shopblackberry, and within a few weeks of each other. I have a feeling that maybe they have a bad batch.

What's the build date for your Passport? Mine was built in Mexico 6 and I believe towards the end of July.

I eventually bought an original Passport and today is 8th day on this device and zero issues from what I can see.
    Did you load the device from a backed up file or a device transfer? I believe there was a suggestion from another member that said to try using it as a fresh device -- without using any device transfers or backed up files.
    Last edited by yyz321; 10-17-15 at 10:24 PM.
    10-17-15 08:20 PM
    See the other thread, Passport SE self restart. The Moderator may want to merge this thread with that one.

Yes, it's a known issue with the SE. I've been working with BlackBerry Support for about a week, submitting logs, giving them info, etc. It's a slow and frustrating process with them. They are saying now that it must be the hardware because they can't see anything else causing it, but it's still under review. BlackBerry, I suspect, is about to send me a replacement SE, which I'm not sure I want, for several reasons. One, if it's hardware related, many if not most of the SEs seem to have this problem, so I may go through the process of setting up a new phone again only to have it keep happening. Two, the restarting is random and infrequent, and I have no other issues with the SE, like the raised screen or keyboard that others have reported. Better the devil you know.

Posted via CB10
    How long have you had the device for? If you purchased the device from shopblackberry, are you already out of the 30 day return period?
    Last time I spoke with BlackBerry technical support about the SE, they did mention that if your hardware is faulty, they will only send out new devices and not refurbished ones.
    10-17-15 08:23 PM
    How long have you had the device for? If you purchased the device from shopblackberry, are you already out of the 30 day return period?
    Last time I spoke with BlackBerry technical support about the SE, they did mention that if your hardware is faulty, they will only send out new devices and not refurbished ones.
    My SE was made on July 29, and says Mexico 6. I bought it on Aug 11 so am beyond the return period. It has had the random reboot issue since I bought it, even with the original OS, 2339. I've since updated the OS a couple times.

As I said, the guy at BlackBerry support is on the verge of replacing it, for free, of course. With so many people having had this problem, if you go by the CB reports, and regardless of where they bought it, I'm thinking this may be inherent to the SE. And maybe they're all built at Mexico 6, whatever that is. Given that BlackBerry support doesn't seem to know much about this yet, it's unlikely that it's the sort of thing they would have remedied in a subsequent batch.

I recall with the OG Passport these reboots were very common up to 10.2 or something like that, and then they stopped. That sounded more like a software/hardware interaction problem. Maybe it's the same with the SE, and eventually a new OS will either correct it or compensate for the unknown hardware defect.

With my old OG I had a Bluetooth connection problem, and that was hardware related, because an Amazon swap cured it. BlackBerry support couldn't figure that one out, either. In fact, I can't recall BlackBerry support ever having figured anything out with any of the devices I've had. Maybe the logs don't contain useful information.

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 08:59 PM
    Seems there is maybe something useful in those bottom corners they ground off.

This is actually a sad thread I'm reading as I really was planning my next phone to be a SE passport. Mostly because it looks so good. Sorry not helping but will keep on these threads in hopes a cure is found.

Reg Q10SQN100-1/10.3.2 beta
    10-17-15 10:05 PM
    My SE was made on July 29, and says Mexico 6. I bought it on Aug 11 so am beyond the return period. It has had the random reboot issue since I bought it, even with the original OS, 2339. I've since updated the OS a couple times.

As I said, the guy at BlackBerry support is on the verge of replacing it, for free, of course. With so many people having had this problem, if you go by the CB reports, and regardless of where they bought it, I'm thinking this may be inherent to the SE. And maybe they're all built at Mexico 6, whatever that is. Given that BlackBerry support doesn't seem to know much about this yet, it's unlikely that it's the sort of thing they would have remedied in a subsequent batch.

I recall with the OG Passport these reboots were very common up to 10.2 or something like that, and then they stopped. That sounded more like a software/hardware interaction problem. Maybe it's the same with the SE, and eventually a new OS will either correct it or compensate for the unknown hardware defect.

With my old OG I had a Bluetooth connection problem, and that was hardware related, because an Amazon swap cured it. BlackBerry support couldn't figure that one out, either. In fact, I can't recall BlackBerry support ever having figured anything out with any of the devices I've had. Maybe the logs don't contain useful information.

Posted via CB10
    I didn't take a picture of the box, but I think my first device was made around that time and had the issue from the beginning.
    However, mine got progressively worse very quickly. Before I called in to return it, it was restarting 5x in a day.
    Unfortunately, I couldn't find a fix for mine for the 2 devices I temporarily owned.

My Z30 was built in Mexico 5 and had zero issues. My current white Passport was built in Mexico 6 as well but it was in January or February this year.

Hopefully you'll get a replacement from BlackBerry soon and that it'll be trouble-free.

If you want to try one last-ditch effort, if you haven't done so yet, re-load the OS and/or perform a factory reset and do not reload an old backup file. Another member posted in my other thread that it may be the solution but I never got around to trying it.
    10-17-15 10:33 PM
    Sounds like you SE owners that have issues should request an original instead plus partial refund if you paid a premium, I would!

Blackberry Passport Running 10.3.2.2789
    10-17-15 10:39 PM

If you want to try one last-ditch effort, if you haven't done so yet, re-load the OS and/or perform a factory reset and do not reload an old backup file. Another member posted in my other thread that it may be the solution but I never got around to trying it.
    Yes, I've thought of doing that, and of course that's what I would have to do, effectively, if I get a replacement BB. It's just such a pain to get all the apps on there, especially the Android apps, reregister and sign in with everything, lose your bookmarks, all that stuff. No problem with Calendar or Contacts--they're out there on the Cloud--just the rest of it.

I'm tempted to do an OS reload with an autoloader and then a limited restore of just the media and Apps, but not the Settings data or the Android Runtime. That saves most of the stuff, and then you just have to set up your email accounts again, basically. Of course, if it is a software conflict, then it could be one of the restored apps that is doing it, and I would be back to square one. And the reboots are so random--I can go for days without one, then have several in one day. I'm usually running the same apps, like Talk2Watch, so there's no good correlation.

One possibility would be to get the replacement from BB and run it in parallel with my working PP SE, wi-fi only, and with nothing at all restored, letting BBW repopulate the native apps only, just to see if it ever reboots. And if it doesn't, then I can restore my stuff and see what happens. I wonder how much time they give you to send the "broken" phone back so you don't get charged for the new phone?
    10-17-15 11:26 PM
    Mine is from a overseas reseller and returning it will be a pain!

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 06:25 PM
    I wonder what causes it, correlation does not equal causation. Could be different for different people. But experiences here do suggest hardware. I've got snap installed and a few android apps. It's been quite of late, I did un install igrann recently not sure if that's related.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 07:01 PM

This is actually a sad thread I'm reading as I really was planning my next phone to be a SE passport. Mostly because it looks so good. Sorry not helping but will keep on these threads in hopes a cure is found.

This

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-18-15 07:11 PM
    I wonder what causes it, correlation does not equal causation. Could be different for different people. But experiences here do suggest hardware. I've got snap installed and a few android apps. It's been quite of late, I did un install igrann recently not sure if that's related.

Posted via CB10
    I don't know either. As I said earlier, the OG Passports had big problems with spontaneous reboots until OS 10.2 came along, as I recall, then they stopped.

It's almost impossible to distinguish a hardware from a software issue unless you can see what's happening at the time of the reboot, or unless you see a spark like someone here did. And there are no other evident hardware malfunctions. Why would it be limited only to reboots? With other computers, most spontaneous reboots are primarily software related. I agree that there may be some defective Passports, and that not everyone necessarily has the same problem.

I was hoping that the logs I've been submitting to BlackBerry support would reveal something. And if it is a hardware defect, there's no reason to think that a replacement PP would be any better, given that so many SE owners have reported this issue. There may have been only one production run. And since BlackBerry seems not to know much about the reboots, it's unlikely that they would have corrected a hardware defect related to reboots in a new production run.

I've just deleted iGrann, although I don't really use it. I've also deleted the external email accounts with Accounts Cleaner, for whatever good that will do. If the reboots continue, and they are infrequent, I'll do a clean install with only some application restore, no media, no BlackBerry Runtime, no settings. I'd have to do that with a replacement BlackBerry anyway.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 07:52 PM

Same here. Subscribing to thread.

My Q10's replacement when it needs to be retired should be the Passport SE since the Priv will only be for the Android fans.

Keeping an eye on this thread. Hoping the issue gets resolved soon for you guys.

 Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.2789 CB10 
    10-18-15 08:28 PM
    I'm sure this is exclusively a hardware issue.

A faulty app may cause crash to the app itself but can never cause system crash.

When a system crashes there are generally two possible causes, bug in OS and defect in hardware (which typically leads to corruption in the OS image in the random access memery or the non volatile memory).

Although I can't be sure BB10 is bug-free, I believe bugs, if any, are very rare and are at some very delicate points (such as security holes). A bug that causes system crash is a big one and couldn't go out unnoticed by the devs.

Note that unlike PC OS's (Windows Linux etc) which are targeted at million hardware configs, BB10 is targeted at very few specific hardwares, so the complexity and the possibility of bugs are greatly reduced. Also, unlike monolithic kernel OS's (Windows Linux etc) BB10 microkernel architecture greatly reduces the amount of privilege code and, again, the possibility of bugs that can cause system (fatal) failure.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    Last edited by dusanvn; 10-18-15 at 09:52 PM.
    yyz321 likes this.
    10-18-15 09:41 PM

I wouldn't let a few people's problems stop you from buying one. I had the original black pp it worked fine never had any rebooting issues. Traded it on cb for a SE pp it has been just fine no reboots at all or freezes. All my BlackBerry 10 phones have been very stable q10 classic z30 and my pp some people are going to have problems that's just life

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 09:59 PM
    I'm sure this is exclusively a hardware issue.

A faulty app may cause crash to the app itself but can never cause system crash.

When a system crashes there are generally two possible causes, bug in OS and defect in hardware (which typically leads to corruption of the OS image in the random access memery or the non volatile memory).

Although I can't be sure BB10 is bug-free, I believe bugs, if any, are very rare and are at some very delicate points (such as security holes). A bug that causes system crash is a big one and couldn't go out unnoticed by the devs.

Note that unlike PC OS's (Windows Linux etc) which are targeted at million hardware configs, BB10 is targeted at very few specific hardwares, so the complexity and the possibility of bugs are greatly reduced. Also, unlike monolithic kernel OS's (Windows Linux etc) BB10 microkernel architecture greatly reduces the amount of privilege code and, again, the possibility of system failure.

Posted via CB10/BB PP SE.
    You know a lot more about this stuff than I do. I hope that it's some sort of software-app-hardware interaction, because if it's hardware alone, then you just have to be lucky with a replacement device, and hope that the replacement doesn't have some other hardware issue, like the raised screen or a keyboard problem.

But if it's just hardware, I wonder why it is so random and intermittent, sometimes occurring twice a day and at other times less than once a week? Must be set off by something which perhaps could be fixed or compensated for on the software end, like the problems we had with the OG PP and earlier versions of OS 10. Of course, it could be a hardware issue that only shows up at a certain temperature or something like that. I carry the PP in the OEM flip case in my front pocket, and the reboots do seem to occur mostly when it's in my pocket.

But I understand your point. I'll wait to see what BlackBerry support decides to do after my last log submission a couple days ago. They'll probably be calling me Monday or Tuesday. They're pretty good about that, once they accept a support ticket in the first place.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 10:02 PM
    Have not had this issue with the PP SE, but on my Z30 Android programs caused some problems. Seems Andriod is a hog for memory and resources.

 BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    10-18-15 11:21 PM
    I wouldn't let a few people's problems stop you from buying one. some people are going to have problems that's just life

Posted via CB10
    That's what I thought too until I experienced the same issue with 2 Passport SEs.
    10-19-15 12:24 AM
    Well just had it happen with Tripadvisor, clicked on a restaurant. Had the loading graphic and freeze before reboot. Note app says I need Google play store installed but I have snap installed.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 09:51 AM
    Well just had it happen with Tripadvisor, clicked on a restaurant. Had the loading graphic and freeze before reboot. Note app says I need Google play store installed but I have snap installed.

Posted via CB10
    The tech experts here (and I'm being sincere about calling them that) say that the rebooting is almost certainly a hardware issue as opposed to a software or OS issue. To the extent that everything depends upon hardware, I can understand that. And there may well be something about the Passport SE hardware that is subtly different from the Passport OG hardware that is causing these reboots, although as I've noted here several times, the OG had the same rebooting problem, or worse, prior to OS 10.2.

Yet I and others, like you, have experienced the rebooting in conjunction with running certain apps, mostly Android apps, it seems. Some of these apps run in the background, according to the CPU list on Device Manager, even when you don't think you have started them running at all. I've uninstalled/deleted some of those Android apps recently, like TuneIn Pro, but it's too soon to know if any of them were causing the problem.

My last spontaneous reboot was about 12 hours ago, when I had just put the SE down on a table, BB OEM flip case closed, but before deleting those Android apps I mentioned. I created a log immediately via the Help app and sent it off to BB Support under my ticket number. We'll see what happens with that.
    10-19-15 11:54 AM
    The tech experts here (and I'm being sincere about calling them that) say that the rebooting is almost certainly a hardware issue as opposed to a software or OS issue. To the extent that everything depends upon hardware, I can understand that. And there may well be something about the Passport SE hardware that is subtly different from the Passport OG hardware that is causing these reboots, although as I've noted here several times, the OG had the same rebooting problem, or worse, prior to OS 10.2.

Yet I and others, like you, have experienced the rebooting in conjunction with running certain apps, mostly Android apps, it seems. Some of these apps run in the background, according to the CPU list on Device Manager, even when you don't think you have started them running at all. I've uninstalled/deleted some of those Android apps recently, like TuneIn Pro, but it's too soon to know if any of them were causing the problem.

My last spontaneous reboot was about 12 hours ago, when I had just put the SE down on a table, BB OEM flip case closed, but before deleting those Android apps I mentioned. I created a log immediately via the Help app and sent it off to BB Support under my ticket number. We'll see what happens with that.
    I think there are some that are experiencing an auto-restart issue that may be software related but in the case of my first device, I'm fairly confident that it was a hardware issue since I heard a spark sound coming from the device at the same time I experienced the restart. This was also during the second day of owning the device.

I'm not a heavy android app user. Other than the same BB10 and android apps as my 2 previous SEs, I also have installed additional apps that I didn't have on the device before. About 10 days into my white Passport and no restart issues yet. If I was on one of my previous SEs, I would be experiencing auto-restarts probably on a daily basis by now and possibly multiple times per day as well.

The day before I returned my second device, it also decided to play a very loud high pitched sound from the earpiece similar to BlackBerry Protect I had to shut down the device to get it to stop and after restarting the device, it proceeded to heat up quickly without any apps open forcing me to shut it down and let it cool off for 10 minutes.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 05:31 PM
    After reading the spark comment, I'm wondering if there is some issue related to the aluminium casing causing the restarts?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-15 08:24 PM
    That's what I thought too until I experienced the same issue with 2 Passport SEs.
    Hey I'm done commenting about these things anymore lol. My pp worked perfectly till I posted that comment then yesterday my screen just goes blank. Phone won't come on hooked up to link reloaded the os had the same problem waited about two hours and the phone came on.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 05:45 AM
    I think there's already another thread on this topic
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...issue-1039323/

I hard a couple of reboots when I did a restore. I haven't experienced any reboots for a month now.

Posted using Silver PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    10-20-15 01:19 PM
102 123 ...