09-26-17 02:38 AM
63 123
tools
    Hello Everyone. Just wondering if anyone with an SE passport can do an experiment for me to see if this is just my SE passport or do all of them have this flaw. I saw a few post of people complaining about this. This is my second one doing the exact same thing. I don't think software should matter when the phone is off but I'm running OS 10.3.2.2789 so that I can use WiFi calling on Tmobile. If I charge my phone 100% and turn if off and let it sit for 36 hours, when I power it back on, it was down to 82%. If I wait a week, it will be in the 20% range and any longer it will be dead. None of my other blackberry 10 devices do this. Neither does my OG passport on the same OS. I can turn any of them on even 6 month later and it will still be at 100 or 99%. I find it hard to believe that 2 SE's bought a year apart have the same problem, unless there is a design flaw some how. I sent the first one back a year ago and went crazy for a whole year not having my passport so I just bought another (since I don't have much faith in BlackBerry to make the new Android with the pkb right and we are still waiting for any news) as I just love the Passport SE even with the 3 row keyboard that I used to complain about.
    Could any of you with an SE take the time to to this test as I still have another week to send it back if this is a defective one. Also, let me know what OS you are on in case that matters. Passport SE is just the best and I'll be sad if this has to go back. Thanks so much

Posted via CB10
    06-20-16 10:44 AM
    Mine drains as well when off, hmmmm!!!

Posted via CB10
    06-20-16 02:21 PM
    Never had my Passport turned off since day one and never had battery drain and charging issues.
    06-20-16 02:22 PM
    Powered off mine drains to 0% in just a few days.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-16 02:45 PM
    Thanks everyone who chimed in on this topic. I guess this is the flaw in SE Passport. It is not a problem if you use it as your daily driver, as the battery last longer with the phone on versus it off (oddly enough). It is only a problem if you store the phone for a few months and use another, as the phone will be dead. I assume this isn't good for the battery. I guess I will figure out how to keep the battery from completely draining when ski season returns, as I like using a smaller phone to keep in my jacket versus the Passport. I go on 2 week trips at times and the battery will be dead when I returned. That is how I found out the SE does this. Oh, I knew it wouldn't do anything but I hope it m,ight so I turned the network off and put the phone into airplane mode before shutting the phone down. But in the morning, it drained 5%. Thanks again everyone.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 03:56 PM
    This is odd. My original Passport battery is fantastic. I have used it for two days heavy. Over night mine only drops maybe 5-10%.
    I think you need to look at which android apps you have installed. Also I always install apps as NOT running in back ground and NOT connected to BBM. Seems to work for me. This is my second device and both have had zero issues.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 05:47 PM
    Hi Adif. Nothing should be running in the background when the phone is powered off. But somehow the SE manage to drain the battery. Otherwise, the SE is just the best BlackBerry 10 phone ever built, at least for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 11:06 PM
    Mine drains as well when off, hmmmm!!!

Posted via CB10
    Me too.
    06-22-16 11:28 PM
    This is odd. My original Passport battery is fantastic. I have used it for two days heavy. Over night mine only drops maybe 5-10%.
    I think you need to look at which android apps you have installed. Also I always install apps as NOT running in back ground and NOT connected to BBM. Seems to work for me. This is my second device and both have had zero issues.

Posted via CB10
    There would be a few apps that needs running in the background, for example Power tools or Call recorder. However is the "connect to BBM " really that bad?

Posted via BlackBerry Passport - 1st one in Vietnam
    06-22-16 11:30 PM
    Mine also drains to zero *% when switched off for a all week, I don't have apps running in the background, all apps are stock apps from blackberry

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 03:54 AM
    I have also found this and it's very odd. Interestingly...on WiFi, also using T Mobile, there is the WiFi call symbol. With WiFi off and just using 4G, the battery life is great.

Possible solution is to backup and restore with BB Link...I'm hopeful the next 10.3 update will address this quirk.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 04:12 AM
    Well i have a Passport SE for about one year and half and my battery doesnt drain at all if i turn unit off for a whole day. I bought a second brand new Passport SE a month and half ago and the battery will drain when the unit is off 4% down in 6 hours. As of now i am contacting the warranty dept. And they asked me to do a OS factory reload using blackberry link softw. In my PC. I will see if that cures it. I doubt it tho.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 07:38 PM
    Can anyone else with a BlackBerry Passport SE confirm this problem with O/S 10.3.3 update?
    Problem: When you power the phone down and leave it with a full charge it drains until the battery is completely discharged in about a week? in the previous O/S version 10.3.2 this was not an issue. I have noticed this on 2 other brand new Passport SE after it was upgraded to 10.3.3. the phone were shipped with 10.3.2 and they were holding the charge for months since they were shipped and still at 60%. I have done factory restore with the BlackBerry Link software to download and re-load the O/S with 10.3.3 and the problem is still there. Now they drain with in almost a week from 100% to totally discharged. Please check and comment if you have this same issue.
    RobC450 likes this.
    01-18-17 09:26 AM
    Yes. I had similar situation. My SE had 10.3.1 and like yours had a pretty healthy charge when it arrived despite sitting in the warehouse.
    It upgraded to 10.3.2 when I activated the device and that's when it refused to hold the charge when off. I think it made a big improvement when I removed the big 32GB SD I had in there, but it's not great still.

I have since updated to 10.3.3 OTA and still same issue. I even tried autoloader and leaving the device "unactivated" but still no luck.

Most annoying, I ordered the original Black version soon after, but that had no problem even after the 10.3.3 update OTA. Maddening and strange as the SE will last at least TWICE as long when ON!

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 01:04 PM
    It is sad that this is happening but I'm glad it isn't just mine. Thx you guys for letting me know that updating the OS didn't change a thing. This save me a lot of troubles for nothing. I'm still on 10.3.2. It is crazy but when I go skiing, I always switch to the Classic or Q10 for the smaller size to fit in my jacket. So when I leave my Passport SE at home, believe it or not, the battery last longer by leaving the phone on and turning on Airplane mode versus turning the phone completely off. Mine survives our 2 week trip without running completely dead. There is usually around 30% charge left. So that is my work around till something better comes around.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 10:13 PM
  16. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Hello Everyone. Just wondering if anyone with an SE passport can do an experiment for me to see if this is just my SE passport or do all of them have this flaw. I saw a few post of people complaining about this. This is my second one doing the exact same thing. I don't think software should matter when the phone is off but I'm running OS 10.3.2.2789 so that I can use WiFi calling on Tmobile. If I charge my phone 100% and turn if off and let it sit for 36 hours, when I power it back on, it was down to 82%. If I wait a week, it will be in the 20% range and any longer it will be dead. None of my other blackberry 10 devices do this. Neither does my OG passport on the same OS. I can turn any of them on even 6 month later and it will still be at 100 or 99%. I find it hard to believe that 2 SE's bought a year apart have the same problem, unless there is a design flaw some how. I sent the first one back a year ago and went crazy for a whole year not having my passport so I just bought another (since I don't have much faith in BlackBerry to make the new Android with the pkb right and we are still waiting for any news) as I just love the Passport SE even with the 3 row keyboard that I used to complain about.
    Could any of you with an SE take the time to to this test as I still have another week to send it back if this is a defective one. Also, let me know what OS you are on in case that matters. Passport SE is just the best and I'll be sad if this has to go back. Thanks so much

Posted via CB10
    I got same problem

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 10:17 PM
    Mine drains as well, this is so common problem that more than 80% user got it

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 03:46 AM
    I "think" I might have a workaround.

Now, if I turn off my PPSE like I normally do (press&hold power button for 3 seconds), then the PPSE would drains the battery (as reported in the OP). However, if I then continue to plug it into the USB adapter (as if you're charging the phone while the phone is off), you'll then see the Blackberry logo on the screen, the power image then displayed, and charging indicator is flashing. Now (and this is key): when the power image / display goes blank (and the charging indicator is still flashing), disconnect the USB adapter (you'll see an image of "disconnect power" momentarily). **The phone should now completely power off and wouldn't drain the battery.
    01-19-17 07:58 PM
    BlackBerry Passport is a great device except it drains battery way too fast. Mine is a black version and now it is even not enough for 1 day usage

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 08:18 PM
  20. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    now I dont turn off my passport if I want to leave it on the table. just turn on airplane

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4
    01-19-17 09:19 PM
    now I dont turn off my passport if I want to leave it on the table. just turn on airplane

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4
    Pretty sure you have a defected device....
    01-19-17 09:39 PM
    Same here. My original black PP stays fully charged for weeks when it's turned off. But my PPSE loses about 5% overnight when it's turned off.
    01-21-17 06:42 PM
    I "think" I might have a workaround.

Now, if I turn off my PPSE like I normally do (press&hold power button for 3 seconds), then the PPSE would drains the battery (as reported in the OP). However, if I then continue to plug it into the USB adapter (as if you're charging the phone while the phone is off), you'll then see the Blackberry logo on the screen, the power image then displayed, and charging indicator is flashing. Now (and this is key): when the power image / display goes blank (and the charging indicator is still flashing), disconnect the USB adapter (you'll see an image of "disconnect power" momentarily). **The phone should now completely power off and wouldn't drain the battery.
    hhmm.... I'll have to give that a try.
    I know if I unplug the charger after the charge cycle is finished and leave my PPSE turned off it'll start discharging overnight.
    Thx
    01-21-17 06:47 PM
    I've noticed something odd with battery charge levels on my PPSE.

If I charge my SE while it's turned off, then power it up when it's finished charging the charge level never goes higher than 95%.
    If I charge the SE while it is powered up then the charge level will show 100% when it's finished.

This happened with 10.3.2 and continues to with 10.3.3.
    01-21-17 06:54 PM
    I've noticed something odd with battery charge levels on my PPSE.

If I charge my SE while it's turned off, then power it up when it's finished charging the charge level never goes higher than 95%.
    If I charge the SE while it is powered up then the charge level will show 100% when it's finished.

This happened with 10.3.2 and continues to with 10.3.3.
    Wait until the led turns green when powered off then it will be at 100% when u turn on

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 07:01 PM
63 123