Let us know how chatbox's 'fix' works. My passport drains when powered off too. I just leave it on now.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-21-17 07:29 PM
    Ur phone is broken thank you

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 06:03 AM
    Wait until the led turns green when powered off then it will be at 100% when u turn on

Posted via CB10
    That's what I have been doing and it never shows 100% charged.

Something I have noticed is if I unplug the SE shortly after the light goes green and turn it on then the charge level usually shows around 95% charge.

If I leave it plugged into the charger for an hour or so after the light turns green then turn it on the battery level will be slightly higher. Which is what I just did and the battery level showed 98%. It never gets to 100% unless it's turned while being charged.
    01-22-17 07:09 AM
    And the experimenting continues...

Sunday evening.
    PPse is turned on and plugged in. After the battery level reaches 100% I unplug the charger and turn it off. On Monday morning charge level shows 90%.

Monday evening.
    I try Chatbox's fix with battery level at 78%. Turn it on the next morning and battery level is at 69%.

As an earlier poster mentioned, these phones arrive with a charged battery. With these discharge rates you'd think the phone would have arrived with a fully discharged battery.

I wonder how much the battery level would drop if I just left it on all night? That'll be my next test.

My "old" black passport doesn't have any battery problems. I wonder what sort of battery related function some genius decided to "improve" with the se?

I just remembered that my old Z10 had a similiar battery discharge "feature".
    Last edited by RobC450; 01-24-17 at 06:09 AM. Reason: note about old z10
    01-24-17 06:04 AM
    And the experimenting continues...

Sunday evening.
    PPse is turned on and plugged in. After the battery level reaches 100% I unplug the charger and turn it off. On Monday morning charge level shows 90%.

Monday evening.
    I try Chatbox's fix with battery level at 78%. Turn it on the next morning and battery level is at 69%.

As an earlier poster mentioned, these phones arrive with a charged battery. With these discharge rates you'd think the phone would have arrived with a fully discharged battery.

I wonder how much the battery level would drop if I just left it on all night? That'll be my next test.

My "old" black passport doesn't have any battery problems. I wonder what sort of battery related function some genius decided to "improve" with the se?

I just remembered that my old Z10 had a similiar battery discharge "feature".
    This is weird, what os is the phone on

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 06:26 AM
    It behaved this way with 10.3.2. I was hoping 10.3.3 would have fixed the problem but it didn't.
    01-24-17 06:30 AM
    I hope this isn't happened on my pp

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2049
    01-24-17 06:33 AM
    Nope, don't think it worked for me.
    Start with phone on and plugged in.
    Hold power button to initiate power off.
    Wait for the Blackberry logo...wait some more till I get the charging icon.
    Wait till the screen dims out and can't see charging icon. At this point, LED is still flashing that yellowy-green colour.
    Now yank the power cable.

After, not sure, 36 hours or so, I've lost 20%. No difference from before. On the other hand while on in standby, it lost that same 20% about 3-4 days.

Not sure what else to try.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 10:37 PM
    Pretty sure you have a defected device....
    No. It's bug. Lol. I turn down to 10.3.3.2049. And my problem was solved

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2049
    01-24-17 11:57 PM
    10.3.3.2049? Where did you get that version?

I've got the latest released from BlackBerry and it shows:
    Software release #10.3.3.1435
    OS release #10.3.3.2163

That's good to hear that it might be a software bug. At least it can be fixed. I was beginning to think it might be a hardware problem.
    01-25-17 05:55 AM
  11. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    10.3.3.2049? Where did you get that version?

I've got the latest released from BlackBerry and it shows:
    Software release #10.3.3.1435
    OS release #10.3.3.2163

That's good to hear that it might be a software bug. At least it can be fixed. I was beginning to think it might be a hardware problem.
    download autoloader from googledrive in this forum

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 06:38 AM
    A few more ideas to try:

1. I just noticed that Rogers (Canada) have quietly released 10.3.3 I'll update my "old" black Passport and see what happens to the battery life when it's left turned off overnight. The 10.3.3 SW version numbers are slightly different between my Passports (Black will be 10.3.3.1463 after update and SE is 10.3.3.1435). OS update download sizes are very different (Black is 547meg and SE was over 800meg).

2. I'll remove the SIM card from the SE and see if that has any affect on the overnight battery discharge rate. It's the only thing that's different between how it is currently setup and how it arrived when it was new.
    01-31-17 06:59 PM
    Same here. I turned my phone off with close to 100% charge and 3 days later when I went to turn it on it had 18% battery charge.
    01-31-17 07:04 PM
    I just found this info at BlackBerry support forums. Lots of good info about using an autoloader to update your OS.
    ** Using an autoloader will erase your device, so do a full backup before first **

https://supportforums.blackberry.com...r/td-p/2466747
    01-31-17 08:25 PM
    A few more ideas to try:

2. I'll remove the SIM card from the SE and see if that has any affect on the overnight battery discharge rate. It's the only thing that's different between how it is currently setup and how it arrived when it was new.
    hmmm.. The battery drain was considerably less overnight with the SIM card removed from the SE. The SE still drained the battery but it was only down about 4%, meanwhile my "old" black Passport is still showing 100% charge after being off overnight without a SIM card.
    02-01-17 05:58 AM
    More ideas I've been trying...

1. Night before last. Left SE turned on all night, power drain was almost the same as leaving it turned off. So it seems like when it looks like it's turned off it's really in some sort of sleep mode.

2. Last night. Left SE turned on all night and put it in airplane mode. Only 2% power drain!!

I know airplane mode disables email checking and constantly checking email could cause battery drain, my email settings are set to manual refresh.

Facebook app is not installed.
    Twitter app is installed.
    Location services are turned on.
    No headless apps are running.

Next thing to try..
    I'll put airplane mode back to it's normal setting tonight and also turn off WiFi. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by RobC450; 02-03-17 at 06:25 AM. Reason: additional info added
    02-03-17 05:20 AM
    I bought a Passport SE (to replace my black Passport) in late 2016. I charged it to full and was preparing to transfer content from the old phone and then I got busy and had to delay the content transfer. I powered the SE off completely. Two days later, when I turned the phone on, the battery indicator was down to about 75%. Curious about the battery leakage, I powered the phone off again. Two days later, the battery indicator dropped to 55%. I called BlackBerry Tech Support and they claimed that they are not aware of the issue. They sent me a replacement unit that had the same problem. Obviously this is a design flaw with the SE. My old black Passport does not have this battery leakage issue.
    02-07-17 07:31 PM
    More ideas I've been trying...

1. Night before last. Left SE turned on all night, power drain was almost the same as leaving it turned off. So it seems like when it looks like it's turned off it's really in some sort of sleep mode.

2. Last night. Left SE turned on all night and put it in airplane mode. Only 2% power drain!!

I know airplane mode disables email checking and constantly checking email could cause battery drain, my email settings are set to manual refresh.

Facebook app is not installed.
    Twitter app is installed.
    Location services are turned on.

Next thing to try..
    I'll put airplane mode back to it's normal setting tonight and also turn off WiFi. It'll be interesting to see what happens.
    I turn off my data before I turn off the pp se then let charge till green light comes on after green light leave for about 5min if you turn on ur pp after that and it's not at 100% even with wifi off im sure u have a battery problem if the device is fairly new

Posted via CB10
    02-07-17 09:58 PM
    Tried all that stuff, nothing solves the issue. I tried disabling all radios, turn off, then let it charge all day while I was at work. Even tried removing SIM & SD and doing autoloader but not activating the phone, just like from factory. If there are any gains, it's marginal.

I think it is design flaw, yet to hear of anyone with the original Black (including my own) having problems.

I'm not buying the bad battery claim. All tests including BBVE say the battery is in good shape, plus if it were a bad battery, it would not perform normally when device is ON. When I leave it in standby, Airplane mode or no, the thing lasts about 2 weeks, which is pretty amazing.

I think there is a small design flaw with the SE. I've not popped it open yet, I'm willing to bet somewhere they left out a small pullup or pulldown resistor. (These things are designed to force a signal high or low when it is not actively being driven, which is where you want to be with CMOS circuitry. If left off, there might be a critical signal left floating causing high power drain. Normally would not be a problem with removable battery. It also is subject to manufacturing variations so might turn out ok for some people under certain environmental conditions). Might be easy to overlook if they swapped in a "compatible" component which isn't identical. Camera module?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-08-17 12:56 AM
    Next thing to try..
    If you work it out, 2% overnight (how many hours?) I'm guesstimating it will run close to 2 weeks, which is my experience with it in Bedside mode, even if the WiFi is on.

One thing I have yet to try is inducing a different environmental state on it before I turn off. e.g. run something really CPU intensive, get it nice and hot then turn it off.
    I suppose I could also try sticking it out in the snow too :-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-08-17 01:02 AM
    It doesn't make sense. A new passport out of the box has some charge to it. What changes after you start using it? I never noticed the battery drain until I switched briefly to my old phone then back to the passport and was stunned that the battery was utterly drained when the phone was off.

What happens if I get the mercury and stop using my passport? Will the battery drain and the phone is gone... for good?

02-08-17 01:06 AM
    It doesn't make sense. A new passport out of the box has some charge to it. What changes after you start using it? I never noticed the battery drain until I switched briefly to my old phone then back to the passport and was stunned that the battery was utterly drained when the phone was off.

What happens if I get the mercury and stop using my passport? Will the battery drain and the phone is gone... for good?

I still have my old Z10 and the battery its will drain completely if it's left turned off long enough. It works fine after the battery is recharged. Passport is my main device, I just power up the Z10 a few times a year to install any updates.
    02-09-17 05:51 AM
    Sorry I didn't get back sooner with SE battery drain test results, but I wanted to redo them under more consistent test conditions.

The first I did was reboot my SE by holding down the power switch for about 20 seconds (see J Saunders post from Nov 22/16 for details) and I also removed "Snap". Snap doesn't work with 10.3.3, so may as well get rid of it.

*Test conditions*
    All tests lasted 8hrs and started with a 100% battery charge.
    No new apps or other software updates have been installed.

Test 1
    WiFi on, LTE on | SE turned ON | Battery level dropped to 97%

Test 2
    WiFi on, LTE on | SE turned OFF | Battery level dropped to 94%

Test 3
    WiFi off, LTE off (airplane mode) | SE turned on | Battery level dropped to 99%

Test 4
    WiFi on, LTE off | SE turned on | Battery level dropped to 97%

Test 5
    WiFi off, LTE on | SE turned on | Battery level dropped to 98%

Battery drain is still highest when the SE is turned off, although the battery drain rate seems to be lower than my original test. I wonder if doing the "power switch reboot" trick may have helped. It's hard to know for sure because I also deleted Snap and that may have been having an unknown effect.
    Last edited by RobC450; 02-09-17 at 06:24 AM.
    Pavelsan likes this.
    02-09-17 06:06 AM
    Try a test with battery saving mode on?

02-09-17 08:42 AM
    Try a test with battery saving mode on?

After looking at the battery saving mode options I don't think that would have much effect. The screen already blanks out after a few minutes and the only advanced interaction I have turned on is swipe to wake.

I'll try it tonight and let you know what happens.
    02-09-17 02:03 PM
63 123