I exchanged about 4 passport SEs from retailers in uk (clove and Amazon). The screen on each of them was dull and yellow -irrespective of adjustment. On my last one from Amazon UK, alongside the yellow screen, I also had issue with keyboard backlight (see passport on left in photo). Decided to look outside of UK.

Today, I got delivery from German Amazon (see passport on right in photo). Quality of the latter is much improved. Screen is bright and white. No issues with keyboard.

I can confidently say that there are some issues with many of the current UK batches.
    Attached Thumbnails Passport SE Build Quality-1449689289386.jpg  
    12-09-15 01:29 PM
    Hi, from where did you order your Passport? BlackBerry directly? Amazon?

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    I ordered directly from BlackBerry.
    12-12-15 02:17 AM
    SE build quality is great. Almost should have been the only Passport actually. I also love my OG, but the SE is better overall, to me.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 02:44 AM
    I exchanged about 4 passport SEs from retailers in uk (clove and Amazon). The screen on each of them was dull and yellow -irrespective of adjustment. On my last one from Amazon UK, alongside the yellow screen, I also had issue with keyboard backlight (see passport on left in photo). Decided to look outside of UK.

Today, I got delivery from German Amazon (see passport on right in photo). Quality of the latter is much improved. Screen is bright and white. No issues with keyboard.

I can confidently say that there are some issues with many of the current UK batches.
    Did you use a third party Amazon retailer in the UK?

It's interesting, as I recently purchased mine directly from Amazon (not marketplace) and I do not have the screen issue.

The problem reminds me of the PlayBook LTE, which used a vastly inferior screen to the original PlayBook and had the same ugly yellow hue.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 02:46 AM

In Germany they use the Qwertz layout of the keyboard, like you can see in the picture (I would never buy a device with a physical keyboard with a Qwertz layout, and yes I know you can change the settings but to change the PKB is not an easy fix) . Here in the Netherlands we use Qwerty and a German device with Qwertz is very difficult to sell.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 06:07 AM
    Did you use a third party Amazon retailer in the UK?

It's interesting, as I recently purchased mine directly from Amazon (not marketplace) and I do not have the screen issue.

The problem reminds me of the PlayBook LTE, which used a vastly inferior screen to the original PlayBook and had the same ugly yellow hue.

Posted via CB10
    That's really strange. I purchased my faulty 'yellow' screen passport SEs directly from Amazon UK (between Sept and Nov). I never buy phones from Market place sellers - too paranoid for that! 😊

Amazon DE sold me a version with crisp white screen and no issue with keyboard backlight. This makes me think there's a dodgy batch still circulating in UK...clove had some too!

I would not be surprised if BB have been using inferior screens on some SE units (if they did so with playbook LTE as you experienced).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-12-15 06:23 AM
    That's really strange. I purchased my faulty 'yellow' screen passport SEs directly from Amazon UK (between Sept and Nov). I never buy phones from Market place sellers - too paranoid for that! 😊

Amazon DE sold me a version with crisp white screen and no issue with keyboard backlight. This makes me think there's a dodgy batch still circulating in UK...clove had some too!

I would not be surprised if BB have been using inferior screens on some SE units (if they did so with playbook LTE as you experienced).

It does look like a possible cost-cutting thing on particular batches.

Do you still have the manufacture details of the yellow-hue ones in comparison to your model purchased from Germany? If enough people chip in with batch details we might be able to work out when the screen was changed.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 08:56 AM
    It does look like a possible cost-cutting thing on particular batches.

Do you still have the manufacture details of the yellow-hue ones in comparison to your model purchased from Germany? If enough people chip in with batch details we might be able to work out when the screen was changed.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my thoughts, possible cost-cutting by BB.

I have the manufacture date for the last yellow screen/dud keyboard one I had: 28.08.15.

German Qwertz one with good screen and keyboard: 21.09.15

12-12-15 01:36 PM
    In Germany they use the Qwertz layout of the keyboard, like you can see in the picture (I would never buy a device with a physical keyboard with a Qwertz layout, and yes I know you can change the settings but to change the PKB is not an easy fix) . Here in the Netherlands we use Qwerty and a German device with Qwertz is very difficult to sell.

Posted via CB10
    Useful to know about your buying preferences. Sounds like you've heard lots of negatives about QWERTZ.

In UK, we use QWERTY too...but I've had no issue adjusting to the two-key difference of QWERTZ.

But bottom line is though, that I've no intention to sell my SE; so marketability of qwertz was never my objective. I finally own a passport SE without major flaws, for my personal long term use. Something that eluded me with UK QWERTY versions.

Last edited by 2much2think; 12-13-15 at 02:22 AM.
    12-12-15 02:34 PM
    This is the best built phone from a feeling perspective and it seems strong and durable that I've ever owned.

It also types nicer than the standard PP

Posted via CB10
    12-12-15 04:41 PM
    Exactly my thoughts, possible cost-cutting by BB.

I have the manufacture date for the last yellow screen/dud keyboard one I had: 28.08.15.

German Qwertz one with good screen and keyboard: 21.09.15

Interesting. Mine was built 27.08.2015 (Mexico). So a day from your one with the sub-par screen.

Looking at mine though, the screen looks fine. So either my eyes are not what they used to be, or this is more likely a manufacture QC problem rather than a change of screen.
    12-18-15 06:47 AM
    Same here.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-15 09:25 PM
    Just got my Passport SE bundle from ShopBlackBerry. amazing device with no issues.
    12-23-15 09:23 PM
    the iPhone volume keys are beautifully engineered. The recent standard BlackBerry volume keys are the worst I've encountered on any phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 10:37 PM
    the iPhone volume keys are beautifully engineered. The recent standard BlackBerry volume keys are the worst I've encountered on any phone.

Posted via CB10
    Don't know about iphone volume keys but those in Priv are a little underwhelming. Even those at Z10 got matte/shiny dual finishing.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-15 11:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    If you describe volume keys on an iphone as beautifully engineered, you've successfully been brainwashed by Apple. They're just volume keys. My SE has no issues with volume keys and they work as good as any phone keys.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Silver Passport!
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-24-15 11:16 AM
    If you describe volume keys on an iphone as beautifully engineered, you've successfully been brainwashed by Apple. They're just volume keys. My SE has no issues with volume keys and they work as good as any phone keys.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Silver Passport!
    not true.

every blackberry phone after the Z30 has had terrible, loose, jangly, difficult to actuate volume keys. I've echanged so many Passports trying to get a decent copy. The Classic is better on average, but I've had multiple copies with partially recessed power keys that are difficult to click. And the Priv is by far the worst offender. Super cheap feeling volume keys that aren't solid and rock back and forth. Just loose, poorly designed garbage.

The iPhone volume keys are solid. They even have rubber gaskets around the key to prevent intrusion of liquid. They're always solid and feel good, whereas the post-Z30 design is almost always flimsy and defective.

The Q10/Z30 volume key design was a thing of beauty, however, and I never mistakenly clicked the wrong key as I often do with the new design.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-15 02:00 PM
    I have og passport and it's the best phone I have ever had. It has cut my laptop use by 75% I'd say. No build quality issues at all so far. My other phone is a galaxy note 4 and I did not put anywhere as much usage on that as I am on the og passport. The pkb is awesome. It's a mini computer really.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    12-24-15 08:34 PM
    SE was awful build quality

I had mine 3 weeks and the paint was chipped at the top of the device

Priv much better.... But still the paint has chipped at the top.

Oh I miss the build quality of the original passport

12-25-15 04:30 AM
    As I've said in other posts, if the Priv had the kind of solid build quality as my Passport SE, I would have picked one up for my Android wife.

No light bleed or any issues. The weight of the phone also makes it feel more solid to me.

Solid solid phone.

Posted via CB10
    Your wife is a robot?

Posted via CB10
    Deckard79 likes this.
    12-25-15 10:31 AM
    Your wife is a robot?

Posted via CB10
    She's Nexus 6.

Posted via CB10
    dmlis likes this.
    12-26-15 06:03 AM
    Yesterday came mine silver edition and so far everything it is perfect! No problem at all! Hope it will be OK at least two years!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-15 03:09 AM
    I think the build quality of the Passport SE is overall great. However I'm a little annoyed with the plastic they used on the chin. Somehow I got a small scratch on it during a recent trip. It's only noticeable when you really look for it or the light hits it the right way but still disappointing. My understanding is it's plastic there for some purpose to do with the antenna but I don't think that would have happened if it had been steel like most of the rest of the device.
    12-30-15 12:39 PM
    I think the build quality of the Passport SE is overall great. However I'm a little annoyed with the plastic they used on the chin. Somehow I got a small scratch on it during a recent trip. It's only noticeable when you really look for it or the light hits it the right way but still disappointing. My understanding is it's plastic there for some purpose to do with the antenna but I don't think that would have happened if it had been steel like most of the rest of the device.
    i'm wondering why they needed a plastic chin with that giant plastic rear of the phone. Same with all of their phones (9900, Classic, Q10, etc). Everyone else has a continuous metal band, why not BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 11:56 AM
    i'm wondering why they needed a plastic chin with that giant plastic rear of the phone. Same with all of their phones (9900, Classic, Q10, etc). Everyone else has a continuous metal band, why not BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Cost, most likely.

Posted via CB10
    01-01-16 01:49 PM
109 12345