Is it possible to use the passport with screen mirroring (wireless) I am a teacher and now I am using a ipad.
    10-04-14 02:07 AM
    yop,

Yes the Passport is compatible with both DNLA and Miracast.

DNLA enables you to view/play your media on a compatible TV
    Miracast is just like AIrplay, by displaying the full screen of your device, except it is the real standard used by the industry. It works just like AirPlay
    audisc likes this.
    10-04-14 02:43 AM
    Thanks for your reply! Have you tried it with the passport?
    10-04-14 05:24 AM
    And Wi-Fi Direct
    audisc likes this.
    10-04-14 06:39 AM
    Get a NetGear PTV3000 Miracast receiver, to connect to a HDMI TV/monitor, and use your Passport to do presentations, or video, or screen mirroring.. the presentation app on BB10 will also adjust to the size of the monitor you connect, so you will get a nice big picture.
    audisc, EsJayDee and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-04-14 09:14 AM
    this is good news...

would be great if someone could post a 'how to' either by text description or video....
    sonicpix likes this.
    10-04-14 10:29 PM
    Get a NetGear PTV3000 Miracast receiver, to connect to a HDMI TV/monitor, and use your Passport to do presentations, or video, or screen mirroring.. the presentation app on BB10 will also adjust to the size of the monitor you connect, so you will get a nice big picture.
    Is there a chromecast like device that just connects to the port without needing cables?

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 11:01 PM
    Thanks for your reply! Have you tried it with the passport?
    Yes, tried it the other day with the passport. Works phenomenally well.

Posted with Passport via CB10
    10-04-14 11:11 PM
    LawGuyMan was raving about miracast on the PP

Posted via CB10
    10-04-14 11:14 PM
    Is there a chromecast like device that just connects to the port without needing cables?
    You mean something like this?
    Amazon.com: Asus Miracast Wireless Display Dongle: Computers & Accessories

Although this particular device seems to work only with certain Android and Windows devices. I don't know much about Miracast, but if it is the standard that industry is adopting, shouldn't it be able to support a wider variety of devices?
    10-05-14 03:55 AM
    Is it possible to use the passport with screen mirroring (wireless) I am a teacher and now I am using a ipad.
    Yes. The Passport (and the BlackBerry Z30 before that) supports Miracast. Most modern smartphones support the standard, and most modern smart TV's are supportive of miracast.

Apple 'created' airplay, which is basically the same thing for Apple products, so that they can pretend to be innovative.

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    10-05-14 08:55 AM
    Yes. The Passport (and the BlackBerry Z30 before that) supports Miracast. Most modern smartphones support the standard, and most modern smart TV's are supportive of miracast.

Apple 'created' airplay, which is basically the same thing for Apple products, so that they can pretend to be innovative.

Airplay was out before Miracast and before widespread DLNA support. Also it seems to work much better as they control the entire end to end solution. Miracast performance has been hit an miss according to many threads.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    10-05-14 02:52 PM
    I have just tried it out yet with my PassPort in transmitting photos on my Sony Bravia (internet enabled) TV. Since you are using 2 different devices, as in BlackBerry and Sony, you may have to create a WiFi direct 'connection' enabling the feature.

I have tried this previously with a Samsung Galaxy S4 or S5 and the Sony TV, no configuration or setting up was needed and the images just appeared directly. Samsung's app that enables this is 'AllShare'.....

With Apple, it's quite natural and easy since it's an Apple smartphone or tablet 'talking to' Apple TV.

Using my PassPort, from a photo, I went into the menu and selected 'Play On'. My TV comes up in the device list. Choose it and voil�, photo appears on the TV. This also works for video and music.
    Last edited by footmatix; 10-05-14 at 07:14 PM.
    10-05-14 03:00 PM
    Airplay was out before Miracast and before widespread DLNA support.
    Sorry, but this is completely misleading and false.
    DLNA was available even before "AirTunes".
    10-05-14 03:17 PM
    Sorry, but this is completely misleading and false.
    DLNA was available even before "AirTunes".
    I said "widely available" not that it was available before DLNA. Also my experience with DLNA has been pretty sad, especially from my Z10.

10-05-14 06:44 PM
    I said "widely available" not that it was available before DLNA. Also my experience with DLNA has been pretty sad, especially from my Z10.

AirPlay was released in 2010 with almost identical features to DLNA. Screen mirroring was added later, in 2011. I've been using DLNA on my widely available PS3 since 2008. According to Wikipedia, around 200 million DLNA enabled devices were shipped that year.

Posted via CB10
    mkelley65, kthhrrsn and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-05-14 07:06 PM
    Miracast is flawless on the Passport.

Not a single stutter.

It is far better than the Z30. I think good Miracast requires beefy processing power, which Passport has.

Peevishlicious Crew: Infraction Appeals Advocate
    10-13-14 07:50 AM
    Airplay was out before Miracast and before widespread DLNA support. Also it seems to work much better as they control the entire end to end solution. Miracast performance has been hit an miss according to many threads.
    Of course the Apple stuff is better LOL cuz it just works LOL...

Three times recently I've been visiting friends who "tried" to get airplay to work but sadly they couldn't. One was trying to play background music, another friend was trying to display a slideshow of pics from his iPhone, and the other was trying to play a movie. Maybe those folks are posting comments on imore about problems getting airplay to work. So I wouldn't get too high on your horse there Mr. Nickels.

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    10-20-14 04:17 PM
    I have used my Z10 with DLNA at home, at friends' homes and in hotels all over the world. Works beautifully. And I don't have to make sure the device has the same brand name as my phone.

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    10-20-14 04:21 PM
    I watched a movie using the passport and Miracast on my smart TV. No issues.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1052 O2 UK
    10-21-14 12:14 AM
    I have the Belkin miracast dongle and works perfectly, need to update firmware first to latest one to work better. I got it at The Microsoft Store as BestBuy and Tiger Direct didn't have any miracast adapter, only chromecast.
    PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 on AT&T
    10-21-14 06:58 AM

Apple created a solution that was specific to their platform with the knowledge of an existing standard, DLNA, and a developing standard, Miracast, that the entire rest of the consumer electronics industry supported. Like I said, they created AirPlay to pretend to be innovative. It wouldn't do them any good to announce DLNA or Miracast support like their competitors.

I didn't make any claims as to which was first, second, or third. New standards are often years in the making, especially when industry adoption is required.

10-21-14 07:02 AM
    In case there is any doubt about how well Miracast works with the Passport, you can safely put those doubts aside.

We just got a Passport this week and besides the BB Hardcase, the other accessory I picked up right away is the Netgear PTV3000, the Miracast dongle of delight!!!

I had the firmware update for the dongle installed in a few minutes, plugged that baby into my Panasonic big screen and in less than one minute, I was watching cat videos from youtube streaming from the Passport to the TV, with nary a lag or a stutter. Plus the sound was awesome too.
    10-26-14 12:47 PM
    In case there is any doubt about how well Miracast works with the Passport, you can safely put those doubts aside.

We just got a Passport this week and besides the BB Hardcase, the other accessory I picked up right away is the Netgear PTV3000, the Miracast dongle of delight!!!

I had the firmware update for the dongle installed in a few minutes, plugged that baby into my Panasonic big screen and in less than one minute, I was watching cat videos from youtube streaming from the Passport to the TV, with nary a lag or a stutter. Plus the sound was awesome too.
    Just curious if you can get video full screen if streaming from a PC or from a USB stick. I can't seem to get the Play On option unless I click on the video app tab and open something from there. The Video app won't let me stream through it or search sources outside of device or media card.....

Posted via CB10
    10-27-14 10:14 PM
    Just curious if you can get video full screen if streaming from a PC or from a USB stick. I can't seem to get the Play On option unless I click on the video app tab and open something from there. The Video app won't let me stream through it or search sources outside of device or media card....
    I'm not sure what you mean by "curious if you can get video full screen if streaming from a PC or from a USB stick."

The "Play On" feature uses DLNA to transmit video and or audio wireless lyrics from your phone to your DLNA compatible device such as a tv or a media player. DLNA requires that the item being played is a file that is located on your phone. That's why it works when you click on an item in your Video app... cuz that app only lists files that are stored locally on your device.

The Video app and the DLNA feature do not work with a source that is streaming from an online connection of any kind...

... and that is what is so special about Miracast: it allows you to wireless play anything that's on your phones screen onto your Miracast enabled device.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-14 06:45 PM
28 12