Hi both look great just seems that the q10 is brighter is that normal because passport is amoled?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:35 PM
    Passport is LCD and q10 is amoled.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:36 PM
    I see would that be the reason for the brightness variance on the same settings?

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:41 PM
    This doesn't make sense at all. I have the passport and the z30. The passport is way brighter than the z30, and the q10 and z30 have the same screen technology.

Posted from my flawless and amazing BlackBerry Passport. #LebanonBB
    11-19-14 01:22 AM
    Well that is why I am trying to make sense of it.

If i have them lined up side by side the Q10 at half brightness is VERY bright the passport is moderately bright.

If I adjust settings on the q10 there is not really that much of a difference between the settings.

However I can switch the slider up and down a bit to get the passport to be VERY bright.

I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the passport as I can make it look great but was just wondering about that if there might be an issue since it's not as bright by default at mid settings.

This doesn't make sense at all. I have the passport and the z30. The passport is way brighter than the z30, and the q10 and z30 have the same screen technology.

Posted from my flawless and amazing BlackBerry Passport. #LebanonBB
    11-19-14 03:48 AM
    What about the color temperature as well as the brightness? Is that set equally on both as well? I also have a Q10 and a Passport, but my Passport screen is MUCH brighter with whites than my Q10 is, which as another poster said would make sense because LCD vs AMOLED

Posted via my game changer BlackBerry Passport
    Attachment 315425
    11-19-14 04:52 AM
    I will check what i notice also is that my findings are in a DARK room.. in a lighted area the passport is as bright or brighter.

I am using a leaked OS so not sure if there might be something with that one also. I will check the colors though.

I notice that if i move the passport into the light it goes brighter and if i shut the screen off and then reload it, its back to being "dimmer" seems like some sort of auto brightness is going on maybe related to the leak ? if im in a lighted situation its just as you say...

Edit - it seems that my passport's screen feeds off the light meaning that if i keep it set at half (default) brightness and i turn off the screen in a dark room and turn it on it will come back slightly dimmer (and compared to the q10) however as soon as I go into a light room it gets brighter and will stay that way.

It really isn't impacting my experience that much just worried it might be something wrong with the unit since it seems to react to light.

What about the color temperature as well as the brightness? Is that set equally on both as well? I also have a Q10 and a Passport, but my Passport screen is MUCH brighter with whites than my Q10 is, which as another poster said would make sense because LCD vs AMOLED

where do i edit the colors ?

Attachment 315425
    Last edited by Thalakar; 11-19-14 at 05:19 AM.
    11-19-14 04:59 AM
    I will check what i notice also is that my findings are in a DARK room.. in a lighted area the passport is as bright or brighter.

I am using a leaked OS so not sure if there might be something with that one also. I will check the colors though.

I notice that if i move the passport into the light it goes brighter and if i shut the screen off and then reload it, its back to being "dimmer" seems like some sort of auto brightness is going on maybe related to the leak ? if im in a lighted situation its just as you say...

Edit - it seems that my passport's screen feeds off the light meaning that if i keep it set at half (default) brightness and i turn off the screen in a dark room and turn it on it will come back slightly dimmer (and compared to the q10) however as soon as I go into a light room it gets brighter and will stay that way.

It really isn't impacting my experience that much just worried it might be something wrong with the unit since it seems to react to light.
    On your passport, cover the area to the left of the BlackBerry name by the ear piece with your thumb, your screen will go dimmer... this is correct behavior, you wouldn't want it to go brighter in a dark room would you? Lol any screen protector or anything covering this area could affect the amount of light measured by the sensor and change the observed brightness

Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time someone has mentioned a bad light sensor on their BlackBerry device

Do the above test by covering the sensor, if your screen gets dimmer when covered and brightens back up when removed it is working as intended and everything is good

11-19-14 05:35 AM
    The Q10 screen for me is so dim it's depressing to look at. The Passport's on the other hand is on a whole new level, a blinding one.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 05:41 AM
    On your passport, cover the area to the left of the BlackBerry name by the ear piece with your thumb, your screen will go dimmer... this is correct behavior, you wouldn't want it to go brighter in a dark room would you? Lol any screen protector or anything covering this area could affect the amount of light measured by the sensor and change the observed brightness

Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time someone has mentioned a bad light sensor on their BlackBerry device

Do the above test by covering the sensor, if your screen gets dimmer when covered and brightens back up when removed it is working as intended and everything is good

I never removed the original plastic cover thing yet since I don't have a screen protector available in my country think that couBe the issue? It's covering everything from top to bottom.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 05:51 AM
    I never removed the original plastic cover thing yet since I don't have a screen protector available in my country think that couBe the issue? It's covering everything from top to bottom.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, I left mine on as well... I'm doing the same as you, using it as an interim screen protector lol

Did you try to cover the sensor as i suggested? What were your results?

11-19-14 05:53 AM
    The Q10 screen for me is so dim it's depressing to look at. The Passport's on the other hand is on a whole new level, a blinding one.

Posted via CB10
    I think I figured it out I agree when functioning optimal passport brighter however my Q10 is still bright.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 05:53 AM
    I think I figured it out I agree when functioning optimal passport brighter however my Q10 is still bright.

Posted via CB10
    If you read through some Q10 forums, you will see many people were reporting their screens were either bright or very dim no matter what they tried... I believe you are one of the lucky ones in respect to your Q10, congrats!

11-19-14 05:55 AM
    I owned both devices, the brightness control is very much improved in the passport while the lowest brightness on Q10 was still too high specially at night

-Posted from my BlackBerry Passport via CB10.
    11-19-14 06:01 AM
    Nope, I left mine on as well... I'm doing the same as you, using it as an interim screen protector lol

Did you try to cover the sensor as i suggested? What were your results?

Hey there did as you suggested and it dims if covered even in a high light situation; I assume that the dimming then is normal I guess as the last poster pointed out the q10 doesn't react.

Well I think that makes me feel better!

Thanks for helping someone should have said that their passport dims in low light also I just didn't know It had that function.

Appreciate it...

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:07 AM