Well, I managed to shatter the screen of my AT&T Passport last week. Didn't drop it, and no other damage to the phone.. It accidentally got wedged into the side of an easy chair, and the screen cracked by the metal frame of the armrest as the chair moved.

The good news? I had no trouble scoring another brand new AT&T Passport at a reasonable price. And with Link still working on an older Mac, moving from the damaged Passport to this new one will be easy.

But I would like to replace the broken screen of the first one, if possible, and keep it as a backup. Does anyone out there have some experience going through this kind of repair or suggestions to offer? I am guessing I may be on my own to find the parts and then hope to connect with someone locally who can take on the job... without warranty, of course.
    09-26-19 09:55 PM
    Well, I managed to shatter the screen of my AT&T Passport last week. Didn't drop it, and no other damage to the phone.. It accidentally got wedged into the side of an easy chair, and the screen cracked by the metal frame of the armrest as the chair moved.

The good news? I had no trouble scoring another brand new AT&T Passport at a reasonable price. And with Link still working on an older Mac, moving from the damaged Passport to this new one will be easy.

But I would like to replace the broken screen of the first one, if possible, and keep it as a backup. Does anyone out there have some experience going through this kind of repair or suggestions to offer? I am guessing I may be on my own to find the parts and then hope to connect with someone locally who can take on the job... without warranty, of course.
    You can get a replacement screen on Amazon for $25. I'd take it to a shop and have them do it, as it takes some adhesive expertise.
    Last edited by conite; 09-26-19 at 10:24 PM.
    09-26-19 10:11 PM

https://forums.crackberry.com/newrep...ply&p=13448201

Here is a video:

there may be others to watch if you search. If you are not comfortable with the procedure do as conite says - buy the screen and get a pro to do it.
    09-26-19 10:19 PM
    Thank you both for your prompt replies.
    09-28-19 11:00 PM
    I have replaced my screen twice, and after watching the videos and being careful when taking out the parts and screws (I lay them out on a clean sheet of paper and even drew a little diagram of the phone) this go together easily.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-19 11:09 AM
    I have replaced my screen twice, and after watching the videos and being careful when taking out the parts and screws (I lay them out on a clean sheet of paper and even drew a little diagram of the phone) this go together easily.

Posted via CB10
    Your sheet of paper is close to my setup.

I have a piece of wood, roughly the shape of a phone (but much larger). It's covered with duct tape, sticky side out (which takes a long time to lose its adhesive qualities). That way, I can put all the little screws and parts on the duct tape, in the approximate location they come from on the phone, and lose nothing. You can turn it upside down and nothing falls off.
    09-29-19 12:06 PM
    Shuswap

That is one great idea, I have dropped those little screws with an errant swipe of the had and have to go crawling on the floor hunting for them. I am going to use that idea next time I need to take something appart.
    Shuswap likes this.
    09-29-19 12:32 PM