I've been good without a screen protector. And I have the gel case but I just used that for traveling.

Most of the time I carry my naked Passport in my front pants pocket or an inside breast pocket if I'm wearing a jacket that has one.

All that said, while the Gorilla Glass is extremely resistant to scratches, nothing is completely impervious. If you scratch a screen protector you can always get another one. If you scratch the glass, though, you're stuck.
    12-08-14 09:22 PM
    I tried a few before starting this thread. The problem I can't wrap around is for some reason they all look particularly ugly on the passport's large GG screen. I haven't kept one on for over a couple of hours before tearing them off. Hence, my question...
    Maybe someone will come out with a quality glass protector.
    The original oem BlackBerry screen protector is pretty awesome!

Posted via CB10
    surgeon1919 likes this.
    12-09-14 02:08 AM
    I say get one. I went a couple months now without until yesterday I noticed a couple scratches. Not sure if loose change..lighter or zipper on my pocket did it but either way it is annoying that I know it's there.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 02:26 AM
    No protection on my screen, but i do have it in a leather wallet.
    12-09-14 08:53 AM
    I've often wondered this same question, and let my 12 yr old daughter put this to the test (she didn't want a screen protector). 1 month later and she's got small-yet-fine scratches all over her screen. I bought her one anyway. I see it like this:

1. It's, at a minimum, assurance for your next buyer (if you ever sell later).
    2. The disparity between screen protector cost and cost of phone is too great to not invest.
    3. It's peace of mind for yourself for that added layer of protection, worthwhile or not.
    4. As my daughter has proven, Gorilla Glass, albeit great, still gets scratched!

My Passport screen has been protected the entire time I've owned it (minus 10 minutes to switch from OEM protector to Tech Armor protector). I even measured and cut up the extra protector so I could provide protection over the back camera glass. lol--> Yes, I'm THAT guy.
    12-09-14 09:27 AM
    Well after weighing the responses, and trying a few different brands, I finally found one I can live with that doesn't diminish the beauty of the screen. It is called "Mr. Shield" screen protector, five (5) for about $8.00- Amazon (I know they are cheap, but they are good!)
    I got the high clear version. It is truly as close to totally invisible on the big screen IMO. No imperfections, very easy to install without bubbles, etc.
    I'm satisfied.
    JackG058 likes this.
    12-09-14 11:13 AM
    I don't use one.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-14 11:25 AM
    Well after weighing the responses, and trying a few different brands, I finally found one I can live with that doesn't diminish the beauty of the screen. It is called "Mr. Shield" screen protector, five (5) for about $8.00- Amazon (I know they are cheap, but they are good!)
    I got the high clear version. It is truly as close to totally invisible on the big screen IMO. No imperfections, very easy to install without bubbles, etc.
    I'm satisfied.
    You made the right choice. It's amazing how those little scratches can creep in and how bothersome they can be.
    12-09-14 12:14 PM
    I'm naked.
    TMI.
    12-09-14 12:15 PM
    I'm satisfied.
    Yes, as I mentioned earlier, that's the one I use.

Tell me how you got rid of /all/ the bubbles, though. :-) I'm about ready to put on my third one...

Otherwise, I really like these.
    12-09-14 12:33 PM
    Yes, as I mentioned earlier, that's the one I use.

Tell me how you got rid of /all/ the bubbles, though. :-) I'm about ready to put on my third one...

Otherwise, I really like these.
    I just started from the bottom pull strip to expose about an inch, then line up the bottom edge straight. Carefully use a few fingers to swipe it and massage it up slowly and smoothly, removing the backing a half inch or so at a time. If you see a bubble, pull back to that point and try again. Smooth it out with your fingertips in all directions as you go. If you get a couple of small bubbles at the top they are easy to squeegy out. Then I get a damp piece of paper towel and run it over the entire surface until it is about perfect. Then carefully remove the topside #2 strip. Looks great.
    Size is great too. No problem with the edges, fits just inside of them.
    KenV54 and JackG058 like this.
    12-09-14 01:05 PM
    Less than 24hrs after getting my Passport, it dropped out of my coat pocket when I was getting out of my truck. It must have hit the asphalt just right and now there are two small nicks. I sure do wish I had a screen protector on it. They are only visible at the right angle, so it's not the end of the world.Passport- Is a Screen Protector *Absolutely* Necessary?-passport-two-nicks.jpg
    12-09-14 02:22 PM
    The curved edges of the Passport made all the screen protectors I tried end up looking really bad. I just use the OEM Hard Case and keep it mostly in my pocket or face up on a desk.
    12-09-14 04:01 PM
    Screen protectors are like condoms. Feels better without one lol. Aaaaahhh the benefits of being married and having a vasectomy. No screen protectors in our house, au naturelle all the way!

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    nglfmark likes this.
    12-10-14 09:54 AM
    Screen protectors are like condoms. Feels better without one lol. Aaaaahhh the benefits of being married and having a vasectomy. No screen protectors in our house, au naturelle all the way!

TMI dude, TMI <_<

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 10:34 AM
    I've often wondered this same question, and let my 12 yr old daughter put this to the test (she didn't want a screen protector). 1 month later and she's got small-yet-fine scratches all over her screen. I bought her one anyway. I see it like this:

1. It's, at a minimum, assurance for your next buyer (if you ever sell later).
    2. The disparity between screen protector cost and cost of phone is too great to not invest.
    3. It's peace of mind for yourself for that added layer of protection, worthwhile or not.
    4. As my daughter has proven, Gorilla Glass, albeit great, still gets scratched!

My Passport screen has been protected the entire time I've owned it (minus 10 minutes to switch from OEM protector to Tech Armor protector). I even measured and cut up the extra protector so I could provide protection over the back camera glass. lol--> Yes, I'm THAT guy.
    Agreed, gorilla glass in fact is not glass at all! It's a pmma type composite that is strong like glass!

Posted via CB10
    12-10-14 04:10 PM
    Agreed, gorilla glass in fact is not glass at all! It's a pmma type composite that is strong like glass!

Posted via CB10
    Really? Next you'll be telling me that it's not made by Gorillas.

step07, retomex and Mansoor2 like this.
    12-11-14 03:36 AM
    Really? Next you'll be telling me that it's not made by Gorillas.

If that's the case it deserves an insta ban. Hail Caesar!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 04:22 AM
    Well... I ruined the z10 screen, z30 was full of scratches too, so I put one on my passport to be safe but ended up sending the device back (loved it just not practical for me, I need one handed use!) so when I got a new z30 I've covered it with a protector and it still looks new.

So yeah I'd recommend a screen protector

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 04:32 AM
    One thing I've noticed owing a Z30 and Passport, is the side curves of the screen. Because of the swipe, I tend to run my thumb from the very edge of the screen inwards. And if I had a screen protector, I will lose that silky smoothness of touching the screen. Talk about first world problems right?

...Ten BlackBerrys and counting....
    step07 likes this.
    12-11-14 04:34 AM
    Well as someone who ended up with a smashed screen, and had to have it repaired, I have a screen protector on now.

My passport was knocked out of my hands and dropped screen first onto a rock. The screen shattered. If I had covered it, it might have survived. First time this has happened in more than 15 years with a blackberry.

It's simple, cheap and could save you $300.
    My thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    nglfmark likes this.
    12-11-14 05:15 AM
    I don't use a screen protector for my phone. Just be aware of what you put in your pocket or wherever you store it. Best to put it by itself. I've had my Passport since launch, no scratches or marks on the screen and I have even dropped it twice.

Posted via CB10
    blambtn likes this.
    12-11-14 06:27 AM
    I just put one on :the other day. I like the peace of mind but I don't like seeing cut out lines!

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 06:35 AM
    I have just place a tempered glass. Already available in my country. Japan material and believed to be locally cut to fit bb passport. My experience with the tempered glass, they are too thick I think. You will feel uncomfortable when you swipe up, your thumb will hit the edge of the screen and will feel the thickness and your thumb will feel sore after a while. I think it's due to the gap between the keypad and the screen. Before you buy, just make sure to read other review regarding the fitting.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 08:02 AM
    Well as someone who ended up with a smashed screen, and had to have it repaired, I have a screen protector on now.

My passport was knocked out of my hands and dropped screen first onto a rock. The screen shattered. If I had covered it, it might have survived. First time this has happened in more than 15 years with a blackberry.

It's simple, cheap and could save you $300.
    My thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    Who repaired it and where?

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 08:55 AM
95 1234