No I don't use a screen protector. But I do use the Blackberry flip case. It might not be a bad idea to use one though if u do shove keys and other sharp objects in there with the Passport.
    12-08-14 06:10 AM
    As always, if you *really* worry about scratches on your screen, then go ahead and buy one. Gorilla Glass 3, while hardened and resistent, is everything but scratch-proof. As already pointed out by others, rather common stuff, especially sand, can easily scratch your screen. Replacing a screenprotector of whatever brand is always waaaay cheaper chan replacing a scratched screen glass.

Usually you get two kind of responses: Those who don't treat their devices well and don't have any scratches and those who are very careful and already have (micro-)scratches on their glass surfaces!
    jojo beaconsfield and KenV54 like this.
    12-08-14 06:30 AM
    If it's Gorilla Glass use it and normally day scratches won't exist. Falls will still brake the screen though... oh, and don't use it at the beach, sand (quartz) WILL scratch the hell out of GG (at least until GG2, I don't know about 3rd generation).

Posted from Angband using the mighty Hammer of the Underworld, my Q10
    The points about sand (especially down here) are good ones. I have the luxury of swapping over to my Z10 when I am going to spend time at the beach. I also never keep my Passport in my pocket, I use a holster. So I'm going to run it naked for now.
    Also,bakron- thanks for the info about glass screen protectors. Evidently there is not a *quality* one available yet for Passport, maybe soon!
    12-08-14 07:03 AM
    No I don't use a screen protector. But I do use the Blackberry flip case. It might not be a bad idea to use one though if u do shove keys and other sharp objects in there with the Passport.
    Be careful thinking that the flip case will help you...any little grains of sand get on that cover it will grind away while it is closed.

This happened on my iPad, started to see all kinds of micro hair scratches. Once I carefully wiped the cover and I could see little bits of shiny material which I suspect was some micro grit.
    Taigatrommel likes this.
    12-08-14 07:11 AM
    it's when you have a scratch that you usually think "I should have got a screen protector", happen to me once, since then I always have one on.
    12-08-14 07:13 AM
    I am definitely going to our something on my Passport when I get one. I have a Z10 and I have the Zagg screen protector on it about a week or so into its life and it has been a life saver.
    I got an Otterbox case but it felt too bulky and swiping became a chore so naked it goes with the Zagg on it. I have dropped this phone (Z10) several times and nothing on my screen, not a scratch, dimple or pimple...Nothing and ppl are surprised after I pick it up and show em, no damage to the glass.
    If Zagg makes one for Passport, I'll get that one. Hopefully they will have a security one, don't need ppl looking over my shoulders at my "private" documents ;-)

Posted via CB10 on the BB Z10
    12-08-14 07:15 AM
    Be careful thinking that the flip case will help you...any little grains of sand get on that cover it will grind away while it is closed.

This happened on my iPad, started to see all kinds of micro hair scratches. Once I carefully wiped the cover and I could see little bits of shiny material which I suspect was some micro grit.
    Very true. That's why I always check the inside surface of my Tetded flip case before I close it. I work in a very dusty environment, so I'm used to being careful. But no screen protector - I can't stand them.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    12-08-14 07:17 AM
    If you re-sell phones like me, yes absolutely necessary!!

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 07:53 AM
    A question to those who use screen protector: do the edges of the screen protector adhere to the screen properly?
    I've used a cheap film type protector and then replaced it with a tempered glass type, but in both cases the edges don't stick fully to the screen. I think it has to do with how the Passport screen is rounded off on the edges (or maybe not, considering this happens to the top and bottom too), but has anyone been able to apply a screen protector perfectly?
    12-08-14 08:03 AM
    I had a laminated glass screen protector on my passport and it was horrid. Clear but horrible fit. As the glass is curved towards the sides, the laminated glass didn't/ couldn't curve down and it just sort of stuck out over the edges. So much for smooth swiping. So that lasted about 1 minute on the phone. Next - bought a cheap Capdase plastic screen protector HD type. OK until it became oily and just missed the smooth feel of the original naked GG. That one lasted less than a week. Now I have a simple flip Tetded case and no screen protector, the flip does a good job. I took all my screen protectors off all my phones now and it doesn't bother me.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 08:52 AM
    ^ maybe you ought to actually buy a proper screen protector instead of the $1 special in the mall. That experience doesn't show anything except that you're frugal.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 08:59 AM
    I tried a few before starting this thread. The problem I can't wrap around is for some reason they all look particularly ugly on the passport's large GG screen. I haven't kept one on for over a couple of hours before tearing them off. Hence, my question...
    Maybe someone will come out with a quality glass protector.
    12-08-14 09:53 AM
    No screen protector nor case. Completely naked. I'm careful to a fault but inevitably it will take a tumble. I'm waiting for more options to become readily available, cases and what have you. I had a screen protector on my Z30 but eventually took it off. I won't use one for my passport.

Posted two-handed via Passport
    12-08-14 11:37 AM
    No, but if you get the wrong thing in your pocket with any smartphone it's liable to get scratched.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 12:21 PM
    I'm all for using the device naked, but do use screen protectors. Nothing special, just a MATTE screen protector. I use these because I think the screen looks much nicer. It really helps with any fingerprints and glare. Also, the Z30 screen has a weird, unpleasant, bluish tint going on which the matte protector takes care of. Maybe I just have greasy hands, but that's what works for me for fingerprints, etc. Have the Z10 and Z30 naked with just the screen protector and the leather pouch when not in use.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 12:29 PM
    I'm naked. And I don't use one either. No issues apart from increased sensitivity to draughts.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418 O2 UK
    12-08-14 12:33 PM
    I have a screen protector the I picked up on amazon just in case. Keep the phone in my front pants pocket with nothing else. For me the extra protection doesn't hurt.

Passport on AT&T
    12-08-14 12:34 PM
    I use only the oem BlackBerry screen protectors. I have one on my Passport.

Just buy one. The peace of mind of having one on far outweighs the few dollars you're going to spend.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 01:57 PM
    I haven't used one and my screen still looks perfect. It's been a little over 2 months now.

That being said, I never have used one in the past with my other phones. I usually only end up with a tiny scratch or two after a couple of years, nothing remotely noticeable unless you go looking for it. I guess I'm pretty careful with my phones.
    12-08-14 02:26 PM
    Yep, sand dust is everywhere and sooner or later you'll end up with very fine scratches on your display glass. I recommend putting a screen protector on it.

Posted via CB10
    This. I have some fine scratches on my screen that I can only assume are from sand particles. I was trying to avoid this by not even putting it in my pocket when carrying it around (which is not very practical lol). When I finally started putting it my jacket pocket when I went to NY for thanksgiving I noticed some fine scratches on the screen DOH!!!

Anyway, put a screen protector on and now can't see it but it still bugs the hell out of me lol

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 02:52 PM
    I don't use a case or screen protector. The screen seems sturdy enough but the finger prints annoy the hell outta me. So I might get a screen protector just to avoid finger prints. Speaking of screen protector, is there a good one like the tampered glass out there?
    2FunR1 likes this.
    12-08-14 03:07 PM
    I actually still have that sticker on the screen that came with it when I purchased it. Haven't taken it off yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 04:42 PM
    Screen protector and case free from day 1 and nothing so far. *knock on woods*
    12-08-14 05:05 PM
    The best screen protector I ever had was for the Z10. It was a wet apply, not sure of the brand, maybe Zagg Invisible Shield, and it still looks like new, no bubbles, scratches, edge peeling. I can't find it for the Passport, So I'm using a dry apply Mr. Shield Clear, which is cheap, pretty good, no problems with swiping, feels same as the glass, but I still have one small bubble on the second of three.

As I said earlier, with a $600 phone, it just seems to make sense to protect the screen, particularly against sand scratches.
    12-08-14 05:26 PM
    Me too I would rather be safe than sorry

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 06:00 PM
95 1234