06-29-15 02:59 PM
95 123 ...
tools
    Just saw a video about Gorilla Glass and all the new applications for this product developed many years ago by Corning. In the demonstrations, the hosts used keys to attempt to scratch a mobile device with GG and not a scratch or mark emerged. The clarity of the display through Gorilla Glass is superb, seemingly more then all my other devices. How many don't even use a screen saver? Is it definitely a bad idea not to use one on the Passport?
    Thanks.
    12-07-14 08:06 PM
    I've had my naked passport since release and not a mark yet, i carry it in my pants pocket.
    Thunderbuck and blambtn like this.
    12-07-14 08:07 PM
    Dnt use one either

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 08:15 PM
    nothing is absolutely necessary
    12-07-14 08:29 PM
    Gorilla Glass is not a 'cure all' for screen damage. It is only 'resistant' to damage, not damage 'proof'. The screen could break from a low innocuous drop if the angle etc is right. But it could also survive a higher fall too if the angle of impact etc is right.

Basically, you either run the potential for damage or try to minimise damage. As has been said, of course a protector isn't absolutely necessary, but if you are clumsy or are nervous of damage, then get one.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 08:43 PM
    I just put on a Skinomi screen protector. Phone always in my jeans front pocket. Just in case...
    12-07-14 08:45 PM
    I have screen protector as well as flip cover case.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 08:51 PM
    I have a Mr. Shields clear protector and a Lightning Knight leather case. Talk about being careful! Well, I think it makes sense with a $600 phone.

Very good feel to protector, clear, one small bubble. I have one protector left from the packet of three that cost all of $6 on Amazon--maybe I'll try once more.
    pwee111111 likes this.
    12-07-14 09:07 PM
    I don't use a screen protector and don't really worry about it.

By the way, no key will scratch any kind of glass, Gorilla or not. Key metal is softer than glass and therefore not capable of scratching it. If you were to carry it around in a pocket with a diamond ring, you might have a problem.
    asiayeah, blambtn and garpt like this.
    12-07-14 09:17 PM
    Gorilla Glass is not a 'cure all' for screen damage. It is only 'resistant' to damage, not damage 'proof'. The screen could break from a low innocuous drop if the angle etc is right. But it could also survive a higher fall too if the angle of impact etc is right.

Posted via CB10
    I guess I should rephrase for those who take (or took) my question too literally. No, nothing is *absolutely* necessary. (I could make a sexual analogy here regarding "protection" but I won't.) My question refers to Gorilla Glass in particular- I've owned a couple dozen cell phones/ smart phones over the years. None had Gorilla Glass. All my other devices have shown wear and tear over time as none had screen protectors for 100% of their lives. Is Gorilla substantially superior over other screens for resisting scratches to the point where one would be comfortable without a screen protector?
    (PS- Yes, I know if one drops the phone at the *right* angle from several feet or more on a hard surface it will likely crack. But a screen protector most likely will not protect against that, either...)
    12-07-14 10:22 PM
    I don't use a screen protector and don't really worry about it.

By the way, no key will scratch any kind of glass, Gorilla or not. Key metal is softer than glass and therefore not capable of scratching it. If you were to carry it around in a pocket with a diamond ring, you might have a problem.
    Thanks. Good info.
    12-07-14 11:27 PM
    I went ahead and got one anyway. Amzer pudding around the phone, zagg hdx on the screen. I pay good money for my electrics, gotta take care of em. Return on investment.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-14 11:49 PM
    I put one on. Sand can scratch even a gorilla glass screen and it's not hard for your phone to come into contact with sand - I think there is a thread on it. I don't use a case though.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    12-07-14 11:55 PM
    I put one on. Sand can scratch even a gorilla glass screen and it's not hard for your phone to come into contact with sand - I think there is a thread on it. I don't use a case though.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, sand dust is everywhere and sooner or later you'll end up with very fine scratches on your display glass. I recommend putting a screen protector on it.

Posted via CB10
    jojo beaconsfield and KenV54 like this.
    12-08-14 12:14 AM
    I have used Zagg screen protectors on my BlackBerry phones. You will not find them online. You have to find a mall store that can cut one. I got a HD type. They put it on for a total bill under $35.00 US. It took about 15 minutes. Just got a BlackBerry Passport.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 12:51 AM
    If you're a careful person and never dumps your phone into a bag with lotsa stuffs, yeah maybe it's not necessary. Depends on how you care for your stuff.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 12:56 AM
    I have screen protector as well as flip cover case.

Posted via CB10
    That is a Mr Shields screen protector

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    jdesignz likes this.
    12-08-14 01:36 AM
    Caught mine on a zip putting into my front pocket, screen took a decent scratch, can still see some of it through a protector.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 02:21 AM
    Sand aka quartz will scratch it.

Be careful in winter, road salt is 80% sand.

Anything else in normal life won't. Most drops on indoor surfaces will be fine, I've ran it naked so far though.

Will probably get a pladtic or glass plus hard shell.

Not sure amd wish I didn't have to. May just keep it naked, it has very nice build quality.

Love when you pick it up and it kind of cool. All the steel is cold and it feels so sick
    12-08-14 03:30 AM
    I have been looking for a glass type of screen protector, but I haven't found one that's actually available to buy at the moment? Using the factory one that came with it and hopefully it will last until the glass one becomes available.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-14 03:39 AM
    I have been looking for a glass type of screen protector, but I haven't found one that's actually available to buy at the moment? Using the factory one that came with it and hopefully it will last until the glass one becomes available.

Posted via CB10
    MFX BlackBerry Passport Tempered Glass Screen Protector :: MobileFun.com
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-08-14 03:51 AM
    If it's Gorilla Glass use it and normally day scratches won't exist. Falls will still brake the screen though... oh, and don't use it at the beach, sand (quartz) WILL scratch the hell out of GG (at least until GG2, I don't know about 3rd generation).

Posted from Angband using the mighty Hammer of the Underworld, my Q10
    12-08-14 04:04 AM
    I never put a protector on my Z10, yet I do on the passport. The reason is simple, passport sports gorilla glass 3, which is quite sustainable to sand scratches. That said, I won't spend top dollars on protector, but I just buy cheap one with high transparency film. That way I can swap films whenever I feel like without being broke. Speaking of Z10, I think it has a different glass than passport, over the two year ownership, I have not had one hair scratch. I also put a carbon fiber on the back, just to give a bit of more premium look

Passport- Is a Screen Protector *Absolutely* Necessary?-img_20141108_195752_edit.jpg

BlackBerry Passport
    12-08-14 04:30 AM
    Given the reviews for that, I wouldn't waste my money.
    12-08-14 04:47 AM
    Yeah its screen is a real gorilla glass.
    jdesignz likes this.
    12-08-14 04:48 AM
95 123 ...