So I purchased my BlackBerry Passport from Amazon in late September during the initial rush. Immediately fell in love with the device. I'v pretty much kept it in the hard shell case 24/7 and it has only suffered minor tumbles during that time. Phone has been like a rock. However, the other night while reading in the dark I noticed a sliver of light peeking out from under the right corner of the screen.

Passport Screen Lift and Amazing Support from BlackBerry and Amazon-passport-screen.jpg

I had remembered seeing similar threads on early run Passports. I went online to BlackBerry's website and entered my PIN to confirm my phone was Amazon purchased. It said it did not recognize it as an Amazon purchased phone. Disheartened I called BlackBerry at the customer service number and they just asked for the above picture to be sent to them after they created a help ticket. Upon receiving the picture they immediately got me over to the returns department to set up a return of my device. I would send it back to them for repair, and within 7-14 business days I would get my repaired or replaced Passport back with a fresh factory wipe.

As acceptable as this was, I really didn't want to have to go back to work for 7-14 days with my Z10 and have all the BlackBerry haters ask me where my amazing Passport was. So I decided to try Amazon. One rep cleared a replacement of my device. A new Passport is on my way which I will receive sometime next week and all I have to do is put my screen lifted device in the box, print out a label, and return it at no charge.

Now, both I felt both companies handled my issue respectfully and within reasonable expectations of service. I never had issues with their reps and once Amazon cleared me for a replacement I contacted BlackBerry back and they hassle free closed my ticket and thanked me for informing them so quickly that I had arranged for a replacement from Amazon. I just wanted to call BlackBerry first, being a fanboy and all.

Manufacturing defects happen, especially in the early going. One of the reasons I was hesitant to purchase a first run device unlocked from a third party non carrier was for defects just like this. However I think anyone reading this who is on the same decision making run about buying an unlocked phone should take heart and know that you will receive more than adequate support for your CrackBerry addiction from BlackBerry and Amazon.
    01-19-15 04:04 PM
    Amazon is ridiculously good. Ridiculously.
    01-19-15 04:42 PM
    yep amazon is the king of customer service IMO
    jcraig likes this.
    01-19-15 05:09 PM
    Should use this as a reference when the odd post pops up about the shoddy service at BB or Amazon.... maybe then those who unfortunately have a negative experience will not paint said companies with such a broad brush...
    jcraig likes this.
    01-19-15 05:19 PM
    I don't think anyone ever had a complaint about Amazon. BlackBerry on the other hand, well, just think haphazard. They have gotten better though, and there have been changes in the BlackBerry management tying back to customer care that have resulted in improvements.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 05:33 PM
    I did two exchanges with Amazon, they are amazing. Their RMA process is slick due to their volume of orders.

I recommend avoiding ShopBB until they clear up their act or if they have a sale. The loss of business might give them some incentive to clean up their act.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    01-19-15 06:44 PM
    @jcraig this is a great, well-written and informative post. Proves one more time how amazing Amazon customer service is. I hope the new phone doesn't give you any problems.

Posted via CB10
    jcraig likes this.
    01-19-15 07:24 PM
    Pitty BB get Amazon to give us just a crappy store not even adapted to our BB10 OS!

Why not use them instead of ShopBB !?!?!?!?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 07:27 PM
    I purchased my Passport with shopbb and experiencing the same screen lifting. I contacted BlackBerry and they connected me with their RMA department and my replacement device is on its way.

No hassle, no long waiting period just an apology and a new device.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 07:31 PM
    I have always heard bad services from shopblackberry! I am glad to hear good experience with their services from you guys now. I hope they will provide better service from now on because they can't effort bad words of mouth.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-15 08:51 PM