Hi there Passport users. I bought a Q10 the day they came out and I have loved it. Now I am eligible for an upgrade. I wasn't impressed with the Priv when I checked it out today. If I upgrade at all it will be the Passport or Classic. I have not looked into the features on the Passport as I was happy with my phone. Today I read that passport has Google apps.
    I ask you this- Is the Pasport automatically set up to run Android apps? When you get the Passport can you just start running Android games and apps? Or is it just like my Q10 and you have to get a third party app to then get android apps?

If it can play android apps right from the get go with no special instructions or work arounds the Passport may just be the phone for me.

Thanks

Always on my Q10!
    krugbot likes this.
    11-07-15 07:40 PM
    Search cobalt app store. This will allow you to run many android apps. The one issue that BlackBerry will need to remedy is that the runtime is stuck at a version of Android being deprecated.

Posted on my Passport to the future
    11-07-15 07:47 PM
    I had a Q10 and now a Passport and LOVE it.

Yes you can get pretty much any Android app by just downloading the APK file from the BlackBerry Browser. It's honestly really easy and the phone is amazing. You will like it. Yes it's big.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 07:48 PM
    You can follow the Cobalt for Play store but I also recommend side loading Snap. Snap is a gateway to the Playstore and for many it is a BETTER solution than the loading of the actual playstore. Sideload it with a computer and Chrome. Search here for instructions. Dont give up and get a Passport.
    11-07-15 08:08 PM
    Thanks for the great info folks!

Always on my Q10!
    11-07-15 08:20 PM
    Install Snap using Sachesi:

Download the appropriate Sachesi version here: Sachesi
    Un-archive the exe file (currently a 7zip file)
    Put the exe file in a folder on it's own on your computer (it's a stand-alone program)
    Download Snap here: Snap Google Play Client
    Plug your device into your computer.
    Double click the Sachesi exe file to launch it. Enter your device password, if you use one.
    Click on the install tab.
    Drag/drop the Snap bar file into the window. You'll see a progress bar on your device and in Sachesi.
    When complete, unplug your device. You're done, enjoy.

*** "Development Mode" is not required when using Sachesi.
    *** Unless you know what you're doing, do not mess with the other, advanced options within Sachesi!
    *** Settings > App Manager > Installing Apps > "Allow Apps from Other Sources to be Installed" must be enabled to install APK's.
    Sparksx likes this.
    11-07-15 08:37 PM
    Pretty much everything you can do on the Q10, you can do on the Passport. It's the same OS.

So you can try the Google Play stuff on your current phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 08:39 PM
    Hi there Passport users. I bought a Q10 the day they came out and I have loved it. Now I am eligible for an upgrade. I wasn't impressed with the Priv when I checked it out today. If I upgrade at all it will be the Passport or Classic. I have not looked into the features on the Passport as I was happy with my phone. Today I read that passport has Google apps.
    I ask you this- Is the Pasport automatically set up to run Android apps? When you get the Passport can you just start running Android games and apps? Or is it just like my Q10 and you have to get a third party app to then get android apps?

If it can play android apps right from the get go with no special instructions or work arounds the Passport may just be the phone for me.

Thanks

Always on my Q10!
    Besides Cobalt's method and Snap, don't forget that the Passport has access to Amazon's app store and Amazon's Underground where the apps are free. In-store purchases are also free for apps from Underground.

Then, there is also 1 Mobile Market which does not appear to be mentioned here often for Google apps. I use it for my Amazon Fire HDX tablet and Passport because Amazon's app store is lacking a lot of Google apps. If you use 1 Mobile, be careful as third-party app stores may be hazardous to your devices. I only download major apps from it and stay away from the lesser known ones. I have been using it for at least a couple of years and have not experienced any problems.

I keep track on my devices which Google apps I got from Amazon and which ones from 1 Mobile because regardless of which app store you got an app from, if it is available on both these stores, 1 Mobile will send you update notifications. Often, after you download an app from Amazon, you almost immediately receive a notification that the app has an update from the 1 Mobile store. I ignore such notifications from 1 Mobile for apps I downloaded from the Amazon store. So, if you don't want to deal with this, you should not use 1 Mobile Market.
    dadnowak likes this.
    11-07-15 09:31 PM
    Just spend 10 minutes, install a few files from Cobalt's main page, and have the full Google Play Store on your Passport. No need to do this sideloading garbage.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    BarefootBerry likes this.
    11-08-15 01:39 AM
    Just spend 10 minutes, install a few files from Cobalt's main page, and have the full Google Play Store on your Passport. No need to do this sideloading garbage.

Posted via CB10 // Passport SQW100-1 // 10.3.2.2339 // Cricket Wireless
    I agree! Not to mention, as I understand it, that Cobalt's method is far superior to Snap. Many thanks to Cobalt for all his hard efforts in making the Google Play Store available for all of us. I have downloaded it on both my Classic and Passport, and it works great!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 06:46 PM
    Just curious, do sideloaded android apps tend to murder battery life on the Passport? I never really gave sideloading/snap a try.

Thanks for the tips as always.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 09:06 PM
    Just curious, do sideloaded android apps tend to murder battery life on the Passport? I never really gave sideloading/snap a try.

Thanks for the tips as always.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, battery life do get a hit while running android apps. In many cases, it makes phone warm too. Even when android apps are closed, many keep running in backgroud, that's why I make sure to close them by making them force stop using total commander.

Posted from Passport SE
    Sparksx likes this.
    11-10-15 10:57 PM
    How do you find Cobalt?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 11:01 PM
    I love having 2 simultaneous ecosystems running... I hate that BlackBerry chooses to let customers languish with expensive devices as is the Passport left without an android runtime upgrade... JC has turned what was a real company into a band of rogues who claim much & deliver nothing... they deserve a lesson ...as if there is anyone left up there capable of learning.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-15 11:20 PM
    I install snap through development mode and after installation and a reboot, no app download through snap.
    I'm running a BB Passport SE.
    03-15-16 10:58 PM
    By the way, the Google browser Chrome is now supported under OS release 10.3.2.2876. Use SNAP install it.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 02:37 AM
    I got my snap working but Clash of Clans is not on the list. Has something to do with snap or something else?

Posted via CB10
    03-16-16 06:15 PM
    My Passport SE now can run Google Play Store and do adaptation to run Google depend apps also. Really love it and want to use this device for long time.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-16 08:34 AM
    Follow the instruction here. It is easy. http://cobalt232.github.io/playstore...n=6.0.0-build1

  
    03-19-16 02:29 AM
    Hey guys,

Ive been reading a lot lately and was actually tempted to give cobalts method a try. Howevery, I actually just need a few mainstream apps like instagram, economist espresso etc. - given that it seems possible to simply install downloaded apks, is there a way to download these few apps on your pc and install them manually? If so, are there any trusted hosting portals? Tried a few but didnt find something serious.

Thank you very much indeed

Cheers
    CF
    03-19-16 11:22 AM