I don't think it is a question if it can be done. I know the old BB10 devices can run Android, I just don't think BlackBerry would be cool enough to allow it.

For example, the BlackBerry PlayBook has the same guts as a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, yet BlackBerry left it to die with the tablet OS instead of allowing users to put Android on it.
    I could honestly see this as a marketing ploy as well... "Choose your OS".

Or, perhaps BB would be looking to kill off BB10 entirely... Let users switch OS to Android, and stop dev and support of BB10.

I'm just rambling, but I can see many possible scenarios in which BB could come out on top by letting users implement Android on existing hardware.
    Witmen likes this.
    08-24-15 11:27 AM

Or, perhaps BB would be looking to kill off BB10 entirely... Let users switch OS to Android, and stop dev and support of BB10.

I'm just rambling, but I can see many possible scenarios in which BB could come out on top by letting users implement Android on existing hardware.
    Indeed, good points. I hope it happens. The day they say a Classic can be upgraded to Android will be the same day that I go out and buy one.

Having the option would be wonderful.
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-24-15 11:31 AM
    Indeed, good points. I hope it happens. The day they say a Classic can be upgraded to Android will be the same day that I go out and buy one.

Having the option would be wonderful.
    I agree. I might stay on BB10... I might go to Android.

But I can seriously see that having the option could be a hell of a good marketing ploy for BlackBerry.
    08-24-15 11:33 AM
    I could see a dual-booting phone - as long as there was a way to remove Android from it...

As for Android on the PlayBook and earlier devices - you have to remember that there are users (companies, government, etc...) who bought the device with the understanding that it couldn't be rooted/flashed/whatever with another OS. So there would be major security implications allowing older devices to be changed.
    08-24-15 11:54 AM
    There's no reason that OG Passports can't run Android. The OS would just need the signed keys to get past the bootloader.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 12:26 PM
    08-24-15 12:27 PM
    This is on the main page from CB

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 12:53 PM
    Doubt it's the real deal.
    If it was, why go to a 64 title app instead of the settings to show off the settings.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" from Adam Savage
    That 64 app is AIDA64. Very well known in the PC industry for system inform

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nalwire.aida64
    08-24-15 12:56 PM
    This video shows Android running on the Passport, I hope we can get this OS update on the older / Original Passport:

08-24-15 01:05 PM
    FAKE!
    08-24-15 02:13 PM
    FAKE!
    Fake with watermarks...yeah right

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 02:21 PM
    It's not fake. It has been long known by many, including many in the Mobile Nations family (yeah - I know you knew) that BB was testing Android on a few silver edition devices. In fact the plan to develop Android on BB begun almost before the first Passport was out the door. There were rumors about Android running and seen running on Passports for months, when the silver edition released with BB10 - many said - "See? No android." Not realizing it was only used as a test bed for the slider hardware, much like the Playbook was used as a test bed for BB10. Except that became a consumer device.

I do not know for sure whether certain bootroms were whitelisted (if even possible) or the Android loader has a signing key (far more likely).

I do think BB is pretty lucky, given how they treated many now ex-employees that the loader has not yet made it into the wild.
    08-24-15 03:38 PM
    FAKE!
    I think a lot of people here are hoping it is fake (because of what BlackBerry adopting Android will mean for BB10), but nah, it is real.
    08-24-15 03:43 PM
    I would like try android on my passport for sure. If I don't like it, I can switch back to bb10!
    08-24-15 04:09 PM
    The only real question left is whether the BB skin will set up a secure workspace when connected to a BES, or if it connects like any other Android. If it creates a secure workspace then eventually secure enterprise administrators will adopt it, leading to potentially millions or tens of millions in sales benefitting both Android and BB. If however it connects up to enterprise like any other android, no law firm, bank, government, brokerage or publishing house is going to touch it.
    08-24-15 04:15 PM
    Guys, watch it with generated subtitles translated to English. It's hilarious.

LazyEvul likes this.
    08-24-15 05:57 PM
    That 64 app is AIDA64. Very well known in the PC industry for system inform

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nalwire.aida64
    But I don't recall seeing anything showing Android nor lollipop in that info.
    And why go into a third party app that can be duplicated, instead of the OS settings to show people?
    Hmmm
    Makes no sense, unless it's not real. Just no need to download a third party app to show that information when the OS can show it just as easily.

08-24-15 06:00 PM
    Amazing!

Like BB10 a lot, but will definitely try this when it's available
    08-24-15 06:55 PM
    But I don't recall seeing anything showing Android nor lollipop in that info.
    And why go into a third party app that can be duplicated, instead of the OS settings to show people?
    Hmmm
    Makes no sense, unless it's not real. Just no need to download a third party app to show that information when the OS can show it just as easily.

Android device settings don't give all that detailed of information. Third party apps are far more useful for hardware details.
    08-24-15 06:58 PM
    Video looks fake. Look at the edges around the screen. Why is it pixelated around the edges?

Moto X 2014
    08-24-15 07:05 PM
    Android device settings don't give all that detailed of information. Third party apps are far more useful for hardware details.
    But the detailed information required to show lollipop is running on the device wasn't in a third party app. Or did I miss that?

All the "detailed information that was showed was and is irrelevant if you don't show the OS information which the system settings would and should show just as easily.

08-24-15 07:07 PM
    He's saying there's only 4 or 5 Passport SE's out there running Android

I must say I'm impressed with the speed of it.

Posted via CB10
    The scrolling looks pretty laggy, IMO, especially for a Snapdragon 801. Though, it's not final firmware and probably never intended to run Android.
    08-24-15 07:25 PM
    Video looks fake. Look at the edges around the screen. Why is it pixelated around the edges?

Moto X 2014
    It pixelated to hide the PIN watermarks
    MO3iusONE likes this.
    08-24-15 07:30 PM
    He said he is returning the device to his Canadian friend.

BlackBerry Passport
    Yeah, but for how much? ;-)

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 07:35 PM

Moto X 2014
    Lol.. that actually adds legitimacy to the fact that it did come from BlackBerry (device pin watermarks).

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    08-24-15 07:38 PM
88 1234