12-11-15 12:23 AM
32 12
tools
    Worked my *** off on this one as there was so much back and forth testing with different gear. Anyway enjoy comments, corrections and typo notifications all welcome of course. Blackberry Passport Review Part 2: So how does it sound? ? AudiophileON
    05-20-15 06:12 PM
    This was a fantastic review! I have the filo e17 so I am looking forward to giving that a try. I'll be listening using the sennheiser momentum over ear, grado325s, and Phillips fidellio x1. I am aslo curious to see if I can plug into other USB dacs that are home stero based, such as my peachtree nova

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 09:50 PM
    Thanks for this. Good read.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 10:00 PM
    Enjoyed the review also. And most importantly, LEARNED SOMETHING! Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-15 10:26 PM
    Loved it! Just liked your FB page too...
    05-20-15 10:52 PM
    nice review...

spotted a typo btw... " balanced with no on frequency being dominant" I assume it should be " balanced with no onE frequency being dominant"
    05-21-15 02:22 AM
    Thank you

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 05:57 AM
    Enjoyed the review also. And most importantly, LEARNED SOMETHING! Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    thanks herb happy you enjoyed it makes me keep wanting to write stuff.
    05-21-15 07:04 AM
    nice review...

spotted a typo btw... " balanced with no on frequency being dominant" I assume it should be " balanced with no onE frequency being dominant"
    Thanks, as its just me no editor I know Im going to make a ton of mistakes. People pointing out stuff really helps out! Will update right now. I should point out the article was mainly written on the Passport as well.
    05-21-15 07:06 AM
    This was a fantastic review! I have the filo e17 so I am looking forward to giving that a try. I'll be listening using the sennheiser momentum over ear, grado325s, and Phillips fidellio x1. I am aslo curious to see if I can plug into other USB dacs that are home stero based, such as my peachtree nova

Posted via CB10
    Hi quigley, unfortunately even the Hifi Dacs were not making much of a difference. I really thought my Oppo HA-1 would have done it as it works with most anything but I don't know enough about the BB back end to know whey Fiio works but no one else? with android apps I guess it could be something to do with the runtime being in the 4.x stage? Anyone think that when/if we ever get runtime 5.x we can see increased android support?

BTW got to demo the full Grado range at the weekend, definitely back in love with them.
    05-21-15 07:09 AM
    Your first article has an error. If I find more I will assist.

"Well to start i am writing this article on the Passport and flying through it."
    05-21-15 07:24 AM
    Updated both, cheers guys
    05-21-15 07:31 AM
    Good read.

Question, how about Poweramp for audio app, is it good?

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    05-21-15 07:47 AM
    Good to hear about the audio performance. Out of interest as you are interested in audio, do you have any issues with the speakers at low volume hissing with ears close to speakers?
    05-21-15 09:45 AM
    Will test right now. What app are you using? and file type or is it with all audio?
    Saidur_Ali likes this.
    05-21-15 10:50 AM
    All audio.
    05-21-15 10:55 AM
    Good read.

Question, how about Poweramp for audio app, is it good?

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.2.680
    Its been a while since I have used Poweramp, on my q10 i used neutron as well and its just so good for tweaking your sound. Everything works well on it and its native to BB. I know $6 seems a bit steep but its one of those apps on Appworld that is worth every penny Poweramp is also good for audio but I find it a bit harder to get along with even though many android users swear by it.
    jdesignz likes this.
    05-21-15 10:56 AM
    All audio.
    Yes definitely hear it as well. Only present at under half volume on the speaker for me, fortunately the hiss doesn't get louder as you ramp up the volume (it becomes inaudible, whether by being stopped or drowned out). Only would be an issue i to those who hold the phone a few inches from the ear and listen at less than half volume but its definitely there.
    Last edited by stozzaudio; 05-21-15 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo
    Saidur_Ali likes this.
    05-21-15 11:01 AM
    Do you still have Q10 to compare to? I find Passport much worse at low volume especially on one volume where it seems sound is like AM / FM radio with low signal. I can still hear some of the hissing at higher volumes but depends on what is being played and how much content drowns it out. Thanks for your reply.
    05-21-15 11:09 AM
    No problem Saidur, unfortunately I dont have the q10 on me anymore but I know someone who does and will let you know. Or maybe a q10 user can help us out if they are reading this
    Saidur_Ali likes this.
    05-21-15 11:13 AM
    Seems a bit of a lottery on how well speakers you get with your phone and warranty replacement should resolve it going by some Z30 experiences on this forum. I also have a loose volume up key which rattles on Passport.
    05-21-15 11:26 AM
    Anyone else using Tidal yet? after being a bit apprehensive at first I am loving it but just wanted to see what others thought?
    05-21-15 06:37 PM
    Tidal is only available in the android market. I've been hesitant to use too many android apps as I've read it can hurt battery, etc, but I like the idea of streaming lossless files. I've only had the passport for a few days now, but loving it so far. I just put about 6 gb of FLAC on here today. Works like a champ

Posted via CB10
    05-21-15 09:39 PM
    Yep ill still have a card full of High Res files theres no getting away from the fact that some stuff will not be readily found on the Tidal service (or if your a swift fan, spotify. The thing I am loving though is the TIDAL Discovery and Tidal Rising features. On the Discovery I don't think iv had a bad song in 2 days. Right now listening to the Idle Moments: Jazz in the Midnight hour playlist.... damm and I thought this was my least liked genre. Something else I noticed at the Munich Expo is that most of the high end server systems and amp/dac units seem to be integrating them. Thats usually the start (to use a Blue Mountain State quote of some trickle down bang in the industry.
    05-22-15 08:33 AM
    I bought a 128G card, so I could put my FLAC library on it.

By the way, have you been able to review a Z30? Would love to see it, if you have?

Z30 or Passport, both running 10.3.2.680
    05-22-15 08:56 AM
32 12