01-11-15 10:27 PM
37 12
tools
    You cant review the passport if your not a business or power user, it's not a consumer device?

Posted via CB10
    Lol, right. I forgot that business users are robots that see things differently than normal human beings.
    01-11-15 04:37 PM
    Agreed. When i first got a z10 i wanted to throw the phone. Then after sometime never looked backed at my android. Got a z30 after and now the passport. Blackberry sucked me into the vortex. Smh
    Sucked in...

LOL @ vortex, haha ...! :-)

(really, that swiping comes so natural after a while, pressing buttons seems to interrupt the train of thought, the fluidity of the OS transfers into other areas... I've got a fair bit of Android exposure, my wife has got one as daily driver - she likes dual-SIM, and I find the interface incoherent and inconsistent, hitting buttons takes away from your concentration for a split-second, swiping you can do blindfolded...)

  A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...  
    01-11-15 05:17 PM
    I don't agree with OP's opinion about one handed use on the passport. When they introduced passport, they did clearly mention that the phone was never intended for one handed use. The phone has a physical keyboard, and you can't expect to use it with one hand on such a large device. There are plenty of other phones which you can operate with one hand, you should have bought those instead of passport.

It's like someone who just got their learner's license and drives a ferrari, and claims that the car is disappointing because of xyz.

BlackBerry has clearly made their points to target a very specific group of users, and if you think you are one of them, please do not complain. It's a free market, you choose what fits the best of your needs.

BlackBerry Z10 10.3.0.1154
    Yes.

That is all true (OP's statements), if you look at it and apply the phone paradigm, if you look at it as a "laptop in your pocket" replacement (that also does phone calls), considerations like one / two-handed use, wide screen or not, etc. seem rather silly if you think about it.

Just imho. :-)

This is a different device category, one might say.
    Thanks for your input!

  A berry good start and God's blessing to all in 2015 ...  
    01-11-15 05:22 PM
    Thanks for the review. I think you put a lot of work into it, and I appreciate it.

That said, I also think that you come across as an Android fan who wanted to see if a BlackBerry phone would work for you. In this situation, it was unlikely that the Passport would be able to one-up the Android phones you like so much......just because it wasn't one.

The biggest differences between the Passport and the Android phones you mention are:

A) BlackBerry 10 itself.

In this case, you seem to not like the interface. Fair enough, but that's what it is. Some people like it, others don't.

B) The keyboard

This is another case where a personal preference would make a big difference. My experience with this keyboard has only been positive, but that may be because I always use two hands to type on my phones.......even the little ones. So, I love the keyboard.

And it doesn't demand attention. I can now touch-type on it pretty well, and I find this easier and more accurate than having a virtual keyboard fix things for me.

You appear to dislike the very things I like about it. Again, this is a personal preference.

C) The Passport form factor

You say it's not a game-changer for you. This is probably because you don't use your phones for what the Passport is designed for. I don't know if this is the case, of course, but for me - viewing and editing documents all the time is so much easier on the Passport than any other phone, so I appreciate the form-factor.

This is analogous to an old lady buying a Lamborghini and complaining that she doesn't like the form-factor, because it doesn't have enough of cup holders. If you are not looking for a Lambo, don't buy one!

Is the Passport the perfect device? No!
    Is it for everyone? No!

Do I find it a great communication device, and business device? Yes!
    Is it good for occasional content consumption and entertainment? Yes! But in this case there are better devices.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2
    01-11-15 06:17 PM
    Typical trolll... plants a bomb with a semi ****ty and biased review and doesn't reply ever again

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 06:35 PM
    Each to their own...passport is a 9 out of 10 for me but nothing is ever perfect so a 10 is an impossible feat!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 06:46 PM
    Lol, right. I forgot that business users are robots that see things differently than normal human beings.
    It's got nothing to do with being a robot?

It's just designed for business use, no one is saying you can't play games etc... just BlackBerry have aimed for business users with the passport, this review sounds like he is not the target audience that BlackBerry was aiming for.

He is an android fan who likes having a LG G3 with quad HD displays rather than a keyboard that is about productivity.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 06:55 PM
    It's got nothing to do with being a robot?

It's just designed for business use, no one is saying you can't play games etc... just BlackBerry have aimed for business users with the passport, this review sounds like he is not the target audience that BlackBerry was aiming for.

He is an android fan who likes having a LG G3 with quad HD displays rather than a keyboard that is about productivity.

Posted via CB10
    What if he was a business user and didn't like the keyboard? Or do all business users by default like the Passport's keyboard. Just because BB says the Passport is made for business users doesn't mean a business user is going to like it. Business users are consumers just like everyone else and just because BB says the keyboard will make you productive doesn't mean it will.

Or, I guess in your terms, anyone who doesn't like the Passport isn't someone that BB was targeting.
    01-11-15 07:10 PM
    Is OP reviewing the LG G3 or passport?
    Title is misleading. Sounds more of a biased comparison.

G3 buttons on back worst form factor in my opinion. More ergonomic for volume buttons on side of phone where your thumb can quickly access them. It was just a gimmick to be different and have buttons on the back of the phone.

I can type one handed on the passport. But obviously it's not something everyone can do. But no matter the phone if you want to compose emails or messages it's always more efficient using two hands.

No matter the phone messaging does not require the attention of mountain biking down a dirt hill. But you get points for imagination. Many including myself can type without looking at the keyboard. I have carried on conversations while typing out an email at the same time on many occassions.

Lol swipe up and down to go to top and bottom of webpage is an amazing and efficient feature on the G3? Much quicker to just hit the T or B key on passport keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 07:13 PM
    Yep, the OP's gold standard is the LG G3, and given what he wrote, he was not going to be happy with the Passport unless it was exactly like the G3. Seems sort of pointless.

What he liked about the G3 :

Weight: He actually wants a cheap, plastic build so the phone could be light. When Samsung builds plastic phones, people complain that they're not using metal.

Buttons on the back: Most people hate those buttons. I had a G2, and while I tolerated the buttons on the back, I never liked them. I certainly never thought of them as an essential feature.

Screen: Credit to the G3 there. It is an amazing screen. Luckily, they paired it with a nice battery, but the two people who I know that have the G3 both complain that the battery life is not good, and that they struggle to get through a day of use.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2
    01-11-15 07:33 PM
    You accused the Passport as a two handed device and that is it's weakness. The Note series is a two handed device as well but I don't see you complaining about it.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    01-11-15 07:37 PM
    The original and real Blackberry Passport is the square one. I have the red and black one and it's the weirdest looking smart phone on the market. That characteristic and the fact that it's a Blackberry makes it an intriguing and very desirable phone. I use an iPhone also, but used many Blackberrys and I am glad to add this phone to my arsenal.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 10:27 PM
37 12