I received my Passport last week. Everything was working fine until today.

Then, twice today, my device got caught in an endless restarting loop. It got fairly warm during both loops. It would load to the home screen, but if I tried to do anything--whether immediately or waiting a bit--it would just go poof and reset.

The second time, I turned off all networks, WiFi, bluetooth, etc. When it didn't reset, I took a look at the CPU usage. Among other things, I saw that Spotify kept going active. It wasn't using a lot of memory, but I distrusted it, so I removed it. Then, the Amazon App Store kept going active, so I closed it.

It seems stable at the moment, so I turned the connections back on. I wish that the Blackberry Virtual Assistant was somehow useful in detecting the cause of such issues--but it seems only to diagnose hardware, not software.

I'm annoyed because I lost a very long email I was composing.

Should I view this as a hardware issue and send back my device for a replacement? Or should I view it as a software issue and continue on for now if it's working but do a system reset if it happens again?

By the way, I realize a flaw in the design of The Passport. Having a non-removeable battery means that a stupid loop like that could continue on endlessly and overheat the phone. At least on my Q10, a simple battery pull could put an end to anything janky.

Also, from the guides I've viewed so far, the only way to do a hard reset is to connect to a PC? That's a very poor decision in my view. I shouldn't need one device to debug another--especially when the requisite device night not be close at hand.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 01:03 PM
    You can do a hard reset by holding the volume up and down buttons in together past the blackberry logo until the screen goes blank, as for hardware or software i'm not sure but you could load an auto loader for a higher os and see if you have the same problems, and if you do then return it for a new one.
    05-28-15 01:12 PM
    I'm loathe to install anything that hasn't been officially pushed out by BlackBerry. Stability is more important to me than anything else, and these forums are filled with people wanting to downgrade back to a prior OS.

Thanks for the hard reset info though. Hopefully, I won't need to use it.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 01:51 PM
    You can reload the official os for your carrier via auto loader, I wasn't really telling you to go to a higher version.

I'm here for the fun, it's just a phone
    05-28-15 02:10 PM
    Install the official OS, not some half-baked side-load beta nonsense!

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 02:22 PM
    SD cards have been know to cause rebooting loops when the card is bad or going bad. If that isn't it, then I suspect your issue is more likely to be software or settings than hardware. Maybe you corrected the problem by deleting Spotify.

If you are always close to home, I would carry on and just see what happens. If it occurs again, do a security wipe and then test before you do a restore and install apps. Then restore and test. Then install only apps you absolutely need, and test. After that be careful about apps you install, and install one at a time with test in between.

If you are going to be traveling, and if I were in your shoes, I would do a clean OS install, test, restore data, test, and only install apps I absolutely need.

Good luck. Please post an update on how things are going.
    05-31-15 11:34 AM