So I will likely get a KeyOne at some point to get used to Android. However I want to keep my passport, don't need to tell people here why it is awesome.

My question is has anyone tried to get things repaired and how did it go? I assume most repair shops have not seen a lot of Passports.

I would like to put a fresh battery in soon and my screen could use replacement.

Posted via CB10
    lobbyintx likes this.
    03-08-17 09:24 PM
    I've replaced the keyboard on my Passport and I had all components completely apart. It's actually quite easy to do yourself if youre comfortable with that sort of thing and have a steady hand.

The hardest part is the battery as they glue it down and it has a tendency to bend. Just be very careful and patient.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 09:29 PM
    Yep the Passport is probably the easiest phone to take apart. Be sure to have sticky notes and a good set of electronic tool set screwdrivers that go down to the smallest possible size. The tools that were sent to me were cheap and I had to go out mid way through the disassembly to purchase a good set.
    There are some good videos on YouTube and the only problem I had was having the patience to remove the battery carefully. It takes time and you must be careful cause it's is stuck in there pretty good.
    The screen was a snap

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 04:47 AM
    This is great info...
    I just picked up a couple spares and offered a brand new Passport in Marketplace that NO ONE seems interested in. I'm surprised, but, I'll forecast that in the not too distant future, folks will be looking everywhere for one.
    Passporter: where did you find a good set of drivers?
    03-09-17 05:15 AM
    I drove to Princess Auto. It was local so not sure online. I'll take a picture of the set tonight so you know what you need

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 07:59 AM
    I've replaced the keyboard on my Passport and I had all components completely apart. It's actually quite easy to do yourself if youre comfortable with that sort of thing and have a steady hand.

The hardest part is the battery as they glue it down and it has a tendency to bend. Just be very careful and patient.

Posted via CB10
    With ur experience taking apart a Passport. I'll start with my fear, I took apart an old BB five years ago and due to seals and adhesives the screen never sealed again. Even though everyone said nothing of this when they said it was easy. It was easy but not practical. So I ask, in ur experience does the outer body, metal trim etc simply snap off an on or is there adhesives and sticky gaskets required to put back together a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 09:00 AM
    I was wondering the same thing about adhesives and double sided tape. My SE's keyboard cover panel sticks up a tiny bit on both sides, where it meets the screen trim. Does it pop off with a pry tool?
    03-09-17 02:46 PM
    I am OK with paying someone I just don't want them to eff it up. By the sounds of things if it is easy to do at home the shop should be ok?

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 06:01 PM
    With ur experience taking apart a Passport. I'll start with my fear, I took apart an old BB five years ago and due to seals and adhesives the screen never sealed again. Even though everyone said nothing of this when they said it was easy. It was easy but not practical. So I ask, in ur experience does the outer body, metal trim etc simply snap off an on or is there adhesives and sticky gaskets required to put back together a Passport.

Posted via CB10
    It's all screwed together. The only adhesives I recall were on the bottom chin part and the battery.

Watch this video:

Posted via CB10
    03-09-17 06:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    I ordered the screen and digitizer assembly complete. There is no gluing anything just have to put back what adhesive tape is there for keyboard attached to body I believe. There are videos on YouTube that are great to watch and pause as you go. Honestly I was amazed at the simplicity. And ease.

Like I said be sure to note the stages and screw size and length properly so to reassemble properly.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-17 11:39 AM
    I had a similar question concerning the battery removal. I made a thread and there are useful information informations/instructions in there.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1095744

To keep it short I managed to exchange the battery without damaging the phone.

CB10 on my PP SE
    03-11-17 03:35 AM
    I purchased this kit, it arrived the next from amazon $8.99 US Seems to have everything you'll need.

JACKLY 45 in 1 Professional Portable Opening Tool Compact Screwdriver Kit Set with Tweezers & Extension Shaft for Precise Repair or Maintenance JK6089-A
    03-11-17 11:15 AM
    I'm appreciating all of the good info from the do-it-your-selfers. My new SE has some flakey keys on the right side; B&H Photo refused to repair it under warranty (no explanation provided) and there were no longer any new ones available for replacement. Best Buy's Geek Squad told me they don't repair phones because it just isn't profitable.
    03-11-17 12:59 PM
    It's all screwed together. The only adhesives I recall were on the bottom chin part and the battery.

Watch this video:

The first ever video of a Passport tear down by a stoned tech!
    Posted via CB10
    03-11-17 01:36 PM