09-04-15 03:10 PM
121 ... 2345
tools
    I've looked at both the S6 and S6 Edge and agree they are both beautiful phones. I don't get the hype, however, around the Edge. The screen seems like a gimmick to me and from what I've read, there aren't many apps that support it. Doesn't seem like it's worth the extra $100 Samsung is charging.
    The S6 edge does look like a great device, and the camera seems to be excellent. But yeah, the edge aspect while cool, seems limited if there's little dev support for it. It's a great idea, but might be premature to see if it's worthwhile. Like the multi-window on Samsung which is also limited to supported apps.

Be interesting to see what BlackBerry has in store with the curved edges on the slider (if anything). I keep thinking that the fact they're using that curved screen on the upcoming slider points to some kind of collaboration. I still would like to see Samsung and BlackBerry work on a Samsung branded Android PKB slider with built in BB keyboard swipe, predictions and keyboard actions / shortcuts. I'd definitely pick one up and check it out.
    04-19-15 03:41 PM
    Or it removes value from their products, but they're targeting ppl who can't figure such things out.

CPU/raw compute power isn't the limiting factor on most phones these days.
    More CPU == higher battery drain rate, higher device cost, higher heat signature etc, etc.

As a previous poster mentioned, you get diminishing returns... put in a CPU with TIPs (tera ops/second) and it won't be faster than current phones, but will need a backpack for the battery if you want it to last a day.

The bragging rights of having a phone with a processor with more crunch power than skynet isn't worth the trade-offs. and there are _ always_ trade-offs.

Posted via CB10
    Agree with you that raw computing power isn't the limiting factor for most phones nowadays, but we are talking about BlackBerry here. Most of the BlackBerries are using computing technology from two years ago.

Posted via CB10 with PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-19-15 07:12 PM
    Checked out a edge S6 today at Costco. I was not impressed. It was no comparison, in my opinion, next to my white Passport. Like others have noted I think the downward sloping edges are a gimmick with little functionality. Battery life, I have read, is also not as robust as was hoped.

Z30-simply the best touch screen BlackBerry
    04-20-15 01:19 AM
    One of the guys I work with has one so had a little play with it. It's nice I'll admit and the curved edges are quite nice in my opinion. Not sure how it will stand up to a drop test but it's not a phone I'd want to drop.

Still prefer my Passport over it by a mile. Android just doesn't interest me anymore.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 07:30 AM
    Checked out a edge S6 today at Costco. I was not impressed. It was no comparison, in my opinion, next to my white Passport.
    The S6 looks so impressive in pictures and videos to me but when I got to see it in person yesterday, it was like, "this is it?" Idk it's a nice phone and I'm betting the retail displays are bogged down but it made me feel that the Passport really outdoes it for what I seek in qualities in a phone. Now put that S6 Edge screen on a BB slider, and we'll see
    04-24-15 08:55 AM
    i went to an htc one m9 after thinking i was done with my bb passport. used the m9 for a few days and initially, i loved it. it was fast, fluid, everything worked as expected.. yet here I am two weeks later using a bb passport. funny how that works

Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 07:02 PM
    Got a Galaxy S6 Edge for work. Damn this is a nice phone. Just works great. The screen is awesome. The size is great. Thin and light but not wimpy. It is blazingly super fast and the battery charges extra quick. The best thing is that all the apps work with no lags and no worries. (Trust me, I am an experienced sideloader and android patcher) Uber, Hangouts, Lyft.

Don't get me wrong. I loved and still love my passport. I bought it on day one as John Chen announced it. But the sim card now sits in the Edge.

From the passport, I miss:

1) The clean, integrated professional hub
    2) The calendar. Just awesome.
    3) The touch keyboard. Not so much the typing, but the fact that you don't need to touch the screen as much to scroll.
    4) I still use Blend. Even if the PP is at home, I love using blend.

Surprise things I love about the Edge:

1) Camera. Fast, awesome pics.
    2) I love the fingerprint unlock
    3) The world clock UI is great. There's a spinning globe you can pick cities from. (TAT, you could have done it like this!)
    4) The Edge screen. Kinda new, but definitely has potential (BB Slider... looking at you!)

Come on BB, make that slider a killer with a legit android runtime!
    Good to see that you buy a phone for:
    1/camera
    2/how to unlock
    3/clock UI
    4/ the screen

Some of us actually have work to do... so w'll just keep working with our PP.

Posted via Z30 or Red Passport.
    04-24-15 07:50 PM
    Posted via CB10
    04-24-15 08:37 PM
    i went to an htc one m9 after thinking i was done with my bb passport. used the m9 for a few days and initially, i loved it. it was fast, fluid, everything worked as expected.. yet here I am two weeks later using a bb passport. funny how that works

Posted via CB10
    Why Did u switch back?

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 06:55 AM
    1/camera
    2/how to unlock
    3/clock UI
    4/ the screen

I think you guys have beaten that argument to death. I actually get a lot done with my Galaxy Note 4. As a real estate Appraiser I only have to carry my phone to an inspection. When I had BB I was carrying 2 or 3 devices because the apps I use wouldn't work on a passport.

People buy phones because they work for them, doesn't mean their phone is not productive.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on my Note 4
    04-25-15 07:36 AM
    Here is the place where classic could beat nexus 6 or even iphone 6,
    There is no way other phones could beat the passport.
    04-25-15 07:50 AM
    I must admit the edge looks and feels nice but blackberry is growing on me again. My galaxy lagged so bad and it felt like it was falling apart more and more after each month. I love the weight and feel of the passport... if only there were a few more apps.

Posted via CB10
    Agentjucey will teach you how to install google play
    04-25-15 10:48 AM
    Relegated my ***, point is it was top end of

Posted via BBPP
    04-25-15 11:12 AM
    Yep. I guess in your eyes Blackberry releasing a Bold calling it the Classic is innovation
    That was BlackBerry bringing the 0S7 users to BB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 11:30 AM
    1/camera
    2/how to unlock
    3/clock UI
    4/ the screen

Notice the op said he got the s6 from work. He didn't buy it.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 12:48 PM
    Why Did u switch back?
    I initially switched to the htc one m9 because I:
    1) wanted to use my pebble for all notifications without having to keep t2w running/open all the time
    2) facebook messenger notifications are really bad on bb10, its slow/unreliable on native/hub and nonexistant on the android version

But once I went to the M9, I had #1, and #2.. but strangely I really missed the square screen. I view a lot of photos on instagram when I am bored (I like to surf the #blackberry hashtag), and using igrann to get the full screen photo on IG was really easy on my old man eyes - plus my fingers never blocked the screen since I was able to scroll on the keyboard.

So that, and the keyboard typing experience was the two biggest things I missed. The other choices were battery life (the one M9 battery life hasn't been very impressive so far). And while the speakers on the M9 were noticeably better, the passport's sounded close - close enough for me not to miss it too much on the M9. Other minor things I found myself missing on the passport was the easy "universal" search (I carry about 400-500 tv show episodes and movies on my 128gb sd card so its nice to be able to pull up a specific episode or movie with a few keyboard button presses), the way the contacts "just work" (had to link all these contacts and download ubersync just to get contacts list somewhat useable on android).

The biggest thing I do wish the passport had that the M9 has, is a quick photo gallery. I have over 14k photos I like to carry with me, and browsing them in the "pictures" app, or attaching a photo to an email or message, gets *REALLY* slow and buggy and the pictures app will randomly freeze/slow down, or not load certain sections at all..
    04-25-15 02:37 PM
    The biggest thing I do wish the passport had that the M9 has, is a quick photo gallery. I have over 14k photos I like to carry with me, and browsing them in the "pictures" app, or attaching a photo to an email or message, gets *REALLY* slow and buggy and the pictures app will randomly freeze/slow down, or not load certain sections at all..
    Hm. I have switched off automatic stories in the pic app on my PP, maybe that's your issue? Scrolling pictures either with my thumb or with the small slider is super fast, sharing is a breeze - I use it quite often.

ოო fяσм му мιgнту ραѕѕρσят ოო
    04-25-15 11:19 PM
    I have always found the Samsung OS to messy. This may just be a personal preference thing, but if Blackberry wasn't around I would choose an iPhone over a Samsung any day.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:14 AM
    I had S2, note 2, 3 and the note 4. I cannot deny that the phone offers so many features. The camera on the note 4 was amazing. That said the TouchWiz layer always felt not natural. It never felt smooth. Yes it's fast but not smooth. So that's why going forward my choices will be either a BlackBerry, iPhone or google phone.
    But for now I am enjoying my passport for at least another year.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 07:25 AM
    I don't really have a preference for OSes. iOS is the only one I specifically don't like.

But I do hate Samsung. No matter how nice their phones may seem today, you'll be stuck with a buggy and outdated piece of crap in a couple of months just in time for them to announce the next one. Not only that, but their phones are blatant iPhone rip offs with gimmicky extra features. No creativity and no respect for their customers.

If you do want to go back to Android, I strongly recommend you find another company.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-15 11:07 AM
    I think Samsung
    galaxy s6 edge
    is easy to use than any other mobile phone, and look good, feel is also very good, it is a good choice.
    05-25-15 01:39 AM
    LG G4 has a faster better camera than the s6

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-25-15 02:35 AM
    I'm just curious because I don't do a lot on my phone for work but what does a BB do that Android can't? I use office a lot therefore my phone is mostly email opening and or entertainment.

The folks at my work who have company issued phones have iphones or android phones so I really do want to know.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-15 06:45 AM
    I'm just curious because I don't do a lot on my phone for work but what does a BB do that Android can't? I use office a lot therefore my phone is mostly email opening and or entertainment.

The folks at my work who have company issued phones have iphones or android phones so I really do want to know.

Posted via CB10
    They all do pretty much the same, even my old htc touch pro 2 can type emails and watch videos and use real ms office. But its slow these days and the screen is coming apart.

It isnt so much what bb can do that android cant, its how comfortable doing it is. Kind of like writing with your left hand, it is slow and ugly but it can be done with enough determination. It just feels odd after using bb then switching. Sure android can do a lot more, with more sensors for health,etc but for things like email, office work, bb is just more comfortable. Camera aside, some jobs need that. But watching youtube isnt really a office work for most people
    aha likes this.
    05-25-15 07:33 AM
    I had a Blackbbery, and iPhone, and a Galaxy Note 2.

I'm back with a Blackberry Passport.

iPhones are toys for the masses. Easy to use but they lack customization. My grand-mother has one.

Androids are great phones, usually with exceptionnal hardware and good customization. But the OS is full of security holes and often really buggy. Best android OS I had was a custom one after I rooted my phone.

I think the Passport covers what I like with a phone, a great OS, lots of customization, secure and now with the ability of using Android apps the app gap is not a problem anymore.

If you prefer the S6 go for it.

I don't understand all this phone war, you find a phone you like and get it, if somebody likes another phone let them get their phone and shut up.
    05-25-15 08:16 AM
121 ... 2345